cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Tow dinghy

ginagary
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Class A Journey and currently tow a Jeep Wrangler 4 wheels on the ground. We are considering changing tow dinghy's to an SUV. Any suggestions as to the best car to purchase that will be simple to tow.
Thanks
51 REPLIES 51

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
A couple of years ago, I saw a motorhome pulling a car (in the city) and the tow cars steering tires were going completely left then right, back and forth really fast. I'm surprised that the older couple didn't notice it or feel it (maybe they did??).

I pulled up next to them to warn them of the situation.

I can't remember what their tow vehicles was now, but the tires would be worn out or the steering mechanism ruined if they continued. Hopefully they got it corrected after I pointed out the situation.

I didn't know that electric power steering was an issue. I'm not really sure which cars have it and which ones don't. All I know is, is that our Honda tows perfectly.

MM.

Mr Marks: We have Motion adaptive electric power steering assist on our 2013 CRV's. I never have had any problems with it.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of years ago, I saw a motorhome pulling a car (in the city) and the tow cars steering tires were going completely left then right, back and forth really fast. I'm surprised that the older couple didn't notice it or feel it (maybe they did??).

I pulled up next to them to warn them of the situation.

I can't remember what their tow vehicles was now, but the tires would be worn out or the steering mechanism ruined if they continued. Hopefully they got it corrected after I pointed out the situation.

I didn't know that electric power steering was an issue. I'm not really sure which cars have it and which ones don't. All I know is, is that our Honda tows perfectly.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Dennis4809
Explorer
Explorer
I'd avoid vehicles with electric power steering. Jeep has their problems and I've talked with 2 Equinox owners with the same problem. Google "death wobble RV". All seem to have one thing in common, electric power steering.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=UNmkr4dL1OE

Dennis
2006 41' Gulf Stream Friendship 7
Cat C7, Allison 3060
Honda VTX on CruzerLift
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2014 Equinox LTZ V6 AWD

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
dstock50 wrote:
Any manual trans or any 4X4 with a transfer case !
No, no, no. Bad information. Many of the manuals or 4x4's are towable but not all. You have to read the owners manual for each to insure that you can tow without damage.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Some manuals are not approved to tow. Some transfer cases do not have a neutral position. It's more complicated than that.

I didn't read the whole thread but surely by now the MH magazine dinghy guide has been mentioned.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

dstock50
Explorer
Explorer
Any manual trans or any 4X4 with a transfer case !

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
RayChez wrote:
The trade in value of a Honda is the best.

which would be a reason to NOT buy a used one?
bumpy

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
The best tow dingy is the pre-2015 Honda CRV. The engines on those cars are really good. The trade in value of a Honda is the best.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Winnipeg
Explorer
Explorer
Jeep (Chrysler) makes great towable vehicles. Wranglers (after 2009) are ready to hook up with only a front hitch added on (no messing with drive train disconnects, steering locks, etc).

Grand Cherokees are also towable on all 4 wheels, but you have to pick the correct options. Not all 4x4 are towable, you need need the right options. The other thing to keep in mind is that a Grand Cherokee is HEAVY. Its not just towing capacity, but consider how the tail will wag the dog as you go down the highway.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Our '04 Jeep Liberty has 170,000 miles on it with just basic maintenance. We love driving it. The Jeep Cherokee is a beautiful vehicle - not Jeep-like. This took the place of the Liberty. (This is different from the Grand Cherokee).

We've gotten so much enjoyment from our Jeep during our travels. We've done trails at Moab and Silverton, CO and traveled in groups with other 4x4 owners. We put bigger tires on it and had it lifted and it went wherever the others went.

If you don't intend to go off-road, there's no reason to buy a Jeep.

Our new vehicle is a Chevy Equinox. Even though it's more luxury than our Jeep, it's definitely not as fun!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

aviator
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 2008 Saturn Vue Hybrid. It is a great vehicle to tow. I am looking for a newer vehicle as a dinghy.
aviator

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
As long as I can keep them running I will stick to my Samurai and the Grand Vitara for towing. :B
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had a Grand Cherokee Overland. Had. Check out Jeep's reliability via Consumer Reports. Currently having 2010 CR-V serviced. Almost 90k on it. Absolutely trouble free. Interestingly enough the service writer mentioned that he felt Honda really dropped the ball in going to the CVT. Their dealership has seen a drop in CR-V sales. Notice Honda is having reliability issues with 'em, too.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:

I had such a bad experience with my new Oldsmobile in 1981 (diesel), that I never bought another American car since then except for the first Jeep (AMC), the second was owned by Mercedes.

MM.

IIRC that Olds had a gasoline motor that was "adapted" for diesel and was a total washout. but I carry a grudge longer than you, I'm still mad at Ford for the 1967 that was a lemon. found out the value and power of a "red letter" from Ford to the dealer. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
ginagary wrote:
We really wanted the Jeep Cherokee but I am reading the horror stories for the newer models. It looks like the GMC Terrain is minimal issues with just removing a fuse.

I'm a little apprehensive on buying a Jeep as I've had two in the past. A new '96 and a new '99 Grand Cherokee Ltd's. The '96 was a 2x4 and the '99 a 4x4 quadra-trac.

Both left me stranded several times and had to be towed back to the dealer. I only kept them under their warranty periods (3 yrs.) The quadra-trac had to be rebuilt twice and still didn't work 100%. So, I shy'd away from them for years.

I was parked next to a fella recently driving a 2014 Grand Cherokee.... he is on his second making Chrysler buying the first one back (2011). Even his '14 is troublesome (his words).... he doesn't want another one.

So, on that note, I am very curious how other folks with new Jeeps are doing.

I like the Jeep Cherokee.... but, I want something as reliable as the two past Honda CR-V's that we've owned. I'm telling you, they are virtually flawless. But, the new one's can't be towed. Darnit.

I had such a bad experience with my new Oldsmobile in 1981 (diesel), that I never bought another American car since then except for the first Jeep (AMC), the second was owned by Mercedes.

I have pretty much been a foreign car buyer since 1981. With 8 cars in the stable, only one is American as it was inherited (Lincoln Town Car), it's not a bad car, just doesn't have a strong air conditioner.

I will drive the CR-V for about 6 yrs.....so, a 2019 car will be on the radar.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins