cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to stop cabinet door rattle?

k6dcp
Explorer
Explorer
My IVan has only one fault -- a rattle that will drive you crazy after you've heard it for hundreds of miles.

I think I've localized it to the curved cabinet by the sliding door, where the "kitchen" is. That cabinet has two doors. The left door seems to be fine. The right door has a catch at the top and appears to be slightly "sprung" in that the bottom of the door does not touch the frame of the cabinet. There seems to be about a quarter inch (guessing) gap between the bottom of the door and the cabinet frame.

I tried taping the two doors together with strips of blue masking tape to see if this is the problem. Unfortunately, the desert air dried the tape and it popped off fairly quickly.

I've thought of putting industrial-strength velcro to hold the cabinet door on, or a magnetic catch, or padding the gap with foam weather stripping.

But then it occurred to me that I'm not the only one, and far from the first one, with a rattly cabinet, and that you might have solved this problem before me. If so, would you please share your solution with me?

As always, thanks for your assistance.
"IVan" (short for "I love this Van!")
2009 Leisure Travel Van Free Spirit
10 REPLIES 10

NMace
Explorer
Explorer
Handbasket wrote:
I found a sheet of self-adhesive felt dots a WalMart some years ago. Dunno if they have them now. There were several sizes, all round, tan in color. It was in the same area as the picture-hanging stuff. I applied one small one to each corner of lose doors.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"

Yep, and they still have them in different sizes.
2002 Silverado 6L 1500 HD 4x4 Crew Cab
2011 Puma 295 KBHSS

kendall69
Explorer
Explorer
I used small strips of Velcro. Not only did it stop the rattle, but kept everything from opening up on corners etc. get the good stuff not the cheap stuff.
Owned (1) Class A (2) class C (1) truck camper looking at a Class (B)
New proud Owner of a 2014 Phoenix Cruiser 2400

arm
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same issues you have and tried a lot of the things above. The best I found was to use the felt stick on pads they make for the bottom of chairs etc. when you have hardwood floors, you can cut them to size easily,the sticky is better than the regular door bumpers and they are thicker, which works better. I put one on the top and bottom of door and the adjust the latch a little snug. This keeps pressure on the door at all times and rattle goes away. My unit is 18 years old and people ask me how is it so quiet. Of course most of my friends are deaf.......but.

Good luck.
2011 Roadtrek 190 Versatile
1996 Roadtrek 190 Popular
1990 Dodge 2500 conversion
1982 Dodge 1500 conversion

k6dcp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, all, I'm going to try your suggestions.
"IVan" (short for "I love this Van!")
2009 Leisure Travel Van Free Spirit

moonlightrunner
Explorer
Explorer
I used some of these Cabinet Bumpers. My friend's husband used to build cabinets for a living (he ran two cabinet shops too) so I had him doing a little repair work on my RV's cabinets. He sent us down to pick up a package of these bumpers because mine seemed to have all disappeared. I know they were there at one time because the sticky residue was still there. Now all my cabinets close so quietly. I also used a few on the bottom of my butter bell.

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Handbasket wrote:
I found a sheet of self-adhesive felt dots a WalMart some years ago. Dunno if they have them now. There were several sizes, all round, tan in color. It was in the same area as the picture-hanging stuff. I applied one small one to each corner of lose doors.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"

Hi, Handbasket!
Probably any craft store, such as Michael,s, would have these as well...
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
Cabinet makers use clear stick-ons called fish eyes to stop cabinet doors from banging.

Explorer
Explorer
I have quieted a lot of noises with foam weather striping. Try first by taking some sponge and wedging it into the gap. Drive and see if you hear the noise. If it is quiet, use the weather striping. You may need to use more than the glue that it comes with if the dessert air keeps if from holding.

At least you located this noise. We have one banger that we can't locate and just put up with the bang bang when the roads get rough. Another sounds like a platter wobbling - sometimes there and sometimes not. One day I will find those suckers and quiet them.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

twins89
Explorer
Explorer
How about when you travel put a piece of pipe insulation on the edge of the door that hits. Gray pipe insulation is slit down the middle and should the edge of the door should fit in it.
Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs