cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bottom Electric Step Flex

gjtrafl
Explorer
Explorer
On my electric steps, the bottom step shows considerable flex. Makes you feel very unstable when you take that first step from the ground up.

This coach is new to me. And I have a total of 3 steps. Otherwise they work great.

Any suggestions on anything that can be done to help the situation?

Many thanks!
2006 National Dolphin '36
Wilmington, NC
17 REPLIES 17

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
Three steps put a lot of down leverage on the frame, would check it, make sure it hase nothing broke.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
The ONLY adjustments on Kwikee steps are cam-adjustments. They are concentric adjustments that are used to match the end of the step travel to the end of the motor limit. They have absolutely nothing to do with stability of the steps. They only way they could stabilize the steps is for them to be BEHIND the step side rails so that they would SUPPORT the steps. Well, the only way for them to do that would be for the steps to pass them up while extending and then sit on them at the end of travel. That's not what happens.

The step motor and gear box have a limited travel. Those cam adjustments, when adjusted correctly, will match the stop point of the motor and gear box. What that does is, provides additional stops so that the motor does not drive the gear box gears any further and therefore could cause potential damage to them. It's happened to many on here, including mine.

As has been stated, several times, the only real way for the steps to be ridged is for them to me mounted on something that is ridged in the first place. If one has the ability, the tools, the fabrication skills etc. needed for a bolstering of the mounting system, then you will have ridged, non-spongy steps.

I know the OP stated he wanted a permanent fix to this situation. Well, the only way for this to happen is if he climbs underneath the coach and, inspects just what kind of action is happening while someone else steps up and down on the last (or first step from the ground)and see just EXACTLY what is flexing, be it the mounting structure or, the step paralleling arms themselves. I strongly suspect its the mounting system.

Until a permanent remedy is put into place, while the OP might not be too interested in doing it, I strongly suggest using an adjustable step support to help provide stability to that entire structure so that no more potential damage can occur. Yes, this needs to be done each and every time you setup for base camp and, yes it can cause damage if, IF, one forgets that step saver is there and either turns the ignition key on and closes the door or, has the door closed and starts the coach, same thing.

I have a warning tag on my steering wheel that warns me of the step saver in place. That way I'm reminded of it when I either need to make leveling adjustments (rare) or, we're ready to depart. It takes about 5-10 second to place that step saver under the steps, when the leveling is completed and, about the same to remove it when we're heading out.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

gjtrafl
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks for the info Pass42!
Wilmington, NC

Pass42
Explorer
Explorer
On my Tradewinds, the steps were attached to framing with 4 3/8" carriage bolts... the head of the bolts actually pulled thru the framing... I had to use large, thru hardened flat washers to support the bolt heads
2017 Montana High Country 375FL
2015 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty, Cummins 6.7, factory tow package, factory snow plow prep package

GPWayne
Explorer
Explorer
Posted By: krivanj on 01/18/16 06:44am

I will mention that on my steps, I only have two, the manual explains about two stops under the stairs that can be adjusted with wrenches to keep the steps steady when down. Mine are Kwikee and this may only be available its two step systems. When I did this, the steps went from wiggly to rock solid.
The Kwikee step manuals can be found online.

Try the above first.....Works for me.
I have three steps.....Four stops. Two on each side on the upper and two on the bottom. Easy fix.
While you're at it check the mounting bolts. If the whole step unit is loose there are lot of things you can do, but try adjusting per the manual first.

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
gjtrafl wrote:
On my electric steps, the bottom step shows considerable flex. Makes you feel very unstable when you take that first step from the ground up.

This coach is new to me. And I have a total of 3 steps. Otherwise they work great.

Many thanks!

Since your motorhome is 10 years old it's possible that the steps have started to come loose or have cracked at the attachment points. At least that's what happened to the steps on our 2001 Winnebago Adventurer. As a stop gap I installed a support we purchased from Camping World. It worked fine as long as the motorhome wasn't lowered, or the engine started with the steps extended.

Eventually I had to remove the steps for a permanent repair. In our case the steps were held in place by 4 studs mounted in a sheet metal plate. The studs extended through the top plate of the stairs and held them in place with a washer and nut. The sheet metal plate started to crack around where the studs were mounted.

The permanent repair consisted of adding 7 gauge plate with clearance holes drilled for each stud and welding the cracks in the original plate. Once the original plate was repaired the 7 gauge plate was welded over it, and the studs welded to the new plate. The stairs were then reattached to the new plate.

The new assembly was far more rigid than the original and no longer required the additional support leg.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have seen some steps that had braces that were slightly bent. This slight bend caused the bar to act more like a spring than a brace. I think this is caused by people stepping on the steps while they are extending but before they have stopped movement completely.

krivanj
Explorer
Explorer
I will mention that on my steps, I only have two, the manual explains about two stops under the stairs that can be adjusted with wrenches to keep the steps steady when down. Mine are Kwikee and this may only be available its two step systems. When I did this, the steps went from wiggly to rock solid.
The Kwikee step manuals can be found online.
Fleetwood Revolution LE 38X
2011 Scion TC toad

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
gjtrafl wrote:
Many thanks for the responses and feedback. I really want a permanent fix that works all the time and not just when set up at a park. Will check out the items underneath and go from there.

Thanks!

Just in case you do try one of the brace options for the lowest step be careful. If you happen to lower the coach while the steps are supported you will likely have some damage on your hands.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
all of my RVs with electric steps were securely fastened to the RV, bolted or screwed to the underside of the unit. any flex, etc. was entirely due to the strength of the assembly allowing lateral movement. don't know how that could be eliminated without a prop under it. certainly couldn't add any more structural support.
bumpy

gjtrafl
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks for the responses and feedback. I really want a permanent fix that works all the time and not just when set up at a park. Will check out the items underneath and go from there.

Thanks!
Wilmington, NC

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used to use a block under the steps to stop the deflection when I stepped on it. It was years later when I had another problem that I actually saw what was happening. A self tapping #8 screw was used to hold the steps to the frame and was broken. I drilled out this small screw and installed a 1/4 bolt in its place. This stopped most of the defection.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
gjtrafl wrote:

Many thanks!

This is a common problem with many RVs that have extendable entry steps. It all depends on how well the manufacturer attached the step system to the coach in the first place. Some coach builders do a great job and, the steps are solid as a rock when stepping on them. And some, like mine, are not supported all that well and feel spongy.

I too would have to most likely build a support structure to get a better mounting system to make them more solid. But, in the mean time, I, like many, use what's called a "Step Saver" under the first step. You can get them from Camping World or, just about any RV Supplies outlet.

It's basically a form of a screw jack, only smaller. I use a couple of those yellow lego type plastic blocks under that step saver, depending on what the clearance is when I'm all done leveling. Sometimes I only need two, sometimes three-four-five.

But, it really helps in saving the structure where your steps are mounted 'cause the ground is taking all the weight.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Small bottle jack under step, adjust as needed
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"