cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Breakdown Information

Badeye
Explorer
Explorer
Moderators Note: This thread is intending to report a problem and its resolution. If you are seeking help or information to help you resolve a problem you would best be served by initiating a thread on the class A forum proper

After some conversation with Diesel-Lover and others on this forum I thought I would try to start a thread concerning breakdowns on the road. We try to prevent this by good maintenance and driving reasonably but it can still happen. As I observed in a previous post, on a roughly 350 mile northbound drive on I-75 I saw 4 class A MH broken down. All were southbound.

If we should have a breakdown and would post the following information on this thread it could be a resource and reminder for others.

RV particulars:
Driveline (Engine, Transmission):
Miles:
Year:
Break Down Description: (You can add any description of the problem here that you think would help others in understanding the situation and problem.)
Symptoms:
Effect:
Cause:
Outcome:

This is the type of information that is recorded in the aircraft industry and other maintenance activities to track failure trends. It will take a while before we see a lot of value in this. If it continues for a time and sufficient data is available, I will analyze the data and put it into a form that I can send by email to any interested parties. I would suspect that an initial report could be done in about three months or when we have about 100 to 150 cases.

What do you think?
818 REPLIES 818

Donhembree
Explorer
Explorer
Test

tothelight
Explorer
Explorer
This breakdown info is a great idea, I see mention of a summary of these breakdowns and fixes, where could I find this?

Also thinking of buying some spare parts for common breaks on a diesel pusher motorhome like fuses fan belts etc.. does anyone have something like this?

I am about to buy this diesel pusher within two months can anyone steer my in the right direction as far as manufacturers? I read JohnnyT's info and many responses, great info, but a little mind numbing?

Limited funds will make my choices easier,I will be full timing/working in the coach and have been looking at older coaches 95' to 00' with atleast a 8.3 cummins (some without a slide)as I will be loaded down and towing a suburban (2 humans and 1 weimoraner),

also looking at more expensive models, by this I mean the Flettwood American coach line versus discovery or bounder, hoping like the boating industry they would put a little more effort and better core materials into the product which would hopefully translate into less problems, still this is an assumption.

Is anyone running biodiesel in their rig to save money?

Lastly, looking for the names of the directories that list all camp sites, state parks etc.. and costs for hook up, heard of Woodall's are there any others?

Thanks much,

ToTheLight

schwalme
Explorer
Explorer
RV particulars: Safara Sahara
Driveline (Engine, Transmission):Cummings Diesel with an allison 6 speed tranny
Miles: 78,000
Year:1995
Break Down Description: I was driving South on I-5 after a week-end at a LaConner Campground while climbing a slight incline near Everett Wa. The outside temperature was the high 80's. I had just had the normal service done to the engine by Cummings NW. The engine just cut out on me with no warning. I shut it down restarted it and got off to the side of the road. It would idle however when I put it into gear it would quit. I waited for an hour the was able to drive another 40 min. Freeway driving and stop and go in places before it quit again once again on a small incline two block from my house. I immediately re started and drove the two blocks and parked it.
Symptoms: No previous simptoms.
Effect:
Cause:unknown purged the water seperator no water. Stabalizer was added before the trip. Coach goes to shop tomorrow.
Outcome:Coach goes to shop tomorrow.

GBMcruisair
Explorer
Explorer
2000 Georgie Boy 32' Pursuit
7.4 Workhorse 4 speed
trouble description: wouldn't shift, lost dash gauges, quit.
Coming home from 80 mile trip, everything was running fine, had to stop for a stoplight, when getting back up to speed wouldn't shift past second. Since I was only 10 miles from home I thought I'd limp home. After 5 miles gas gauge, ammeter, and oil pressure gauges quit, in another mile tach and speedo quit and then finally the engine quit. Rolled to the side and started checking wires, found gauge fuse was blown. Replaced the 20amp fuse and MH started right up and ran normally. Still can,t figure out why things failed in sequence and not all at once. DW thought she smelled hot wiring, will check ign switch next.:?
Kip & Judy
2000 Georgie Boy Pursuit, 2001 Cherokee toad
1951 Pontiac with 400cu GTO running gear
1964 Corvair Monza all original

jag70r
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to add my two cents regarding overheating in a class A Motorhome. A couple of years ago while driving on I-5 south bound near Bakersfield CA suddenly I discovered the heat gauge went off the scale,steam everywhere. What led up to this was the fact that the old familiar noisy radiator clutch fan had been silent for a few miles and the heat was building up in the engine and it blew an over looked rubber hose that goes from the water pump to the intake manifold just a little hose that appeared to be o.k. when all the others were replaced it wasn't.I did not look for the obvious and I assumed it was a freeze plug because the steam and water seemed to come from the side of the block.I had us towed in and it was just a big mess all around with loss time and etc. Lessoned learned is obvious. Those clutch fans are a nuisense when they come on because they are so noisy but watch out if they don't. This was on a 454 engine by the way and the second clutch I went thru in three years.

Puddin12
Explorer
Explorer
I have read several posts where people incidated they had to have their rig towed, and much it cost. Doesn't everyone have roadside service with their insurance? We have Progressive, and I also have U. S. Rider, because Progressive will not tow my trailer with the horses in it, and U. Sl. Rider will.

mngolfer
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 1989 E350 RV and had problems with the brakes hanging up. Finally figured out the flexible brake hoses from the chassis to the calipers were acting like a one way valve. They had deteriorated internally. Replaced both hoses and that fixed the problem

Puddin12
Explorer
Explorer
1992 Winnebago Minnie Winnie
7.5 L EFI engine, Ford E-350 Chassis
45,000 Miles

Spring of 1998, when first purchased this used motorhome, had a flat tire on the right outside rear. (Not Michelins) Didn't know about tires aging out. Put new Michelins on, LTX 225/75R 16E A/S. (Came with 16Ds) Just replaced those with the same, except M/S, seventh year, with 29,000 miles on them. Excellent service with Michelins.

In April, 2003, On I-40 West of Nashville, left front brake smoking. Pulled in trouble lane. Called highway patrol. After letting it cool, he got me 2 miles up the road to Rest Area. Let it cool some more, and drove the 30 miles on to my destination (camp ground). Brake company came out and said it was a caliper or line, and the only way to know, was to replace one or the other, and see if it happened again??????? I had them replace the calipers and lines on both front wheels. Who wants to chance that in the mountains????? I might mention I had the front brakes redone just before I left, but they didn't do calipers and lines. All of the brake work totaled $1,600. My son thinks I got ripped off, but near Nashville, they had to special order parts, as they were heavier duty than a Ford E-350 truck.

The next April, with about 46,500 miles on it, transmission went out coming home from Bristol race. Had it rebuilt, and no problems since, with about 20,000 miles on it, mostly mountains.

RV_CONUS
Explorer
Explorer
January 2006

Fifty miles from home in a class c, A Flat
200 miles from home A Blowout
250 miles from home Fuel Filter Failure.

Took 6 days to go 500 miles.

June 2006

Engine timing sensor failed. Power Steering, warning flashers failed. An RV dealer (reputable?) improperly installed a controller for a tow dolly. Positive wired to the solenoid, negative to the frame. Can't prove it caused the failures, Go Figure. OBTW the RV dealer is out of Panama City, Florida. At first he agreed to reimburse for the full labor to fix the problem, then agreed to 2 hours labor reimbursement. However, after he talked to the tech, the tech said he did not wire it improperly and someone changed the wiring during the 1200 miles I had travelled. Makes since to me, I stopped at a Texas Rest area to use WIFI, got bored went out and changed the wiring. Will Never See a Dime. Will Carefully refer customers to him every opportunity I have. It is my sincere desire that his 14 year business thrives. Or, maybe he can retire buy a MH and have his Tech install a controller on it.

Not bad after 33 years of minor RV problems, with one prior fuel filter failure in 2004.
2006 Allegro Open Roads 34WA
2015 GMC Terrain
2009 Blue OX Aventa LX
2009 Brake Buddy Classic

fhalasz
Explorer
Explorer
All RV particulars:
Driveline (Engine, Transmission): Cummins ISC 350, Allison 3000MH
Miles: About 35000 (then); 43000 (now)
Year:2001
Break Down Description: Erratic gauge display, engine stumble.
Symptoms:Speedometer would flick up to maximum, then back to correct road speed, at irregular intervals (generally less than one minute apart.) At the same moment, engine would stumble, but recover to full power.
Effect: Disconcerting but driveable.
Cause: Unsure (see below)
Outcome:Corrected itself after several miles at low speed during a detour.
Recurred several days (and many miles) later. Took it to Cummins in Albuquerque on return home; they could not duplicate the problem (but charged for trying.)
Eventually I crawled under the coach and inspected two wires connected to tranny where illustration indicated the speed sensor output might be. Wires looked good; disconnected and re-connected them anyway. The problem has not recurred.

BTW, where is the compilation of all these problems? It's a lot to read through!

jandcr
Explorer
Explorer
Just about on topic, but I thought I would update on something. The issue of roadside assistance changing the inside dual. I know there have been some discussions on this in the past. I talked to my AAA rep today and she researched. AAA standard coverage DOES cover the inside dual - at least Oregon AAA does. Deleting roadside coverage from our Progessive insurance thru AAA for a nice little saving was the right thing to do. It is noted on our AAA membership data in writing. She also said if anyone ever does charge we should just keep the receipt and they will reimburse when we get home.

marbilupton
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Winnebago Voyage on a 2006 Ford V10 chasis. It has just over 2000 miles on it. Stayed at a KOA last night and pulled out of our space this morning and went to the dump site to empty our tanks. Getting ready to pull out, the engine wouldn't crank. No matter what I did, it was just dead. Called our emergency road service and they sent a wrecker. The guy asked me what was wrong and I told him. He said he would like to check because it may be better to try to fix it than tow it to a Ford dealer. After about thirty minutes of crawling around under it, he discovered a wire that was dead. He said it ran from the starter to the battery. He shorted out the wires for the starter somehow and it cranked! Once he got it started I drove it 50 miles to the nearest Ford dealer who could service a big rig and left it. They will look at it Monday and let me know what the diagnosis is. Hope it isn't anything complicated because we were on our way to Ohio when this happened. Stuff Happens!!
Retired Navy, 39 Years
2005 Winnebago Voyage 35D
2006 Honda Crv
Blue OX Alexus Tow Bar
Brake Buddy

1_2_Canadian
Explorer
Explorer
GoinPlaces wrote:
We've just bought our new motor home (2006 Newmar Scottsdale) and drove it home (a 150 mile trip one way), parked it in the driveway, and began planning and packing for our first vacation. We were to leave tomorrow morning, but now we can't because our automatic leveling jacks won't come down. They're stuck. We had driven it only to gas up, then returned home with it, and now can't get the jacks to come down. We've called the manufacturer of the leveling jacks for help. They tried over the phone to walk us through some things to see if it would work, but NO luck. Now, we've got to postpone the vacation, and make the 300 mile roundtrip back to the dealership for them to work on it. I'm having major anxiety attacks about what we have gotten ourselves into. We're not even out of the driveway yet! At least it is fixable, we think, and it is drivable. When our friends heard we bought a new RV, they all have said, "Oh, you're going to have so much fun!". I am beginning to seriously wonder if the fun will ever happen!

The failed jacks shouldn't stop your trip. Even those of us who've been spoiled by jacks know some boards under the tires will do the job... just a little more hastle. I'd have taken the trip, then returned to dealer on the way home. You'll likely find more glitches on the trip anyway, and the dealer can take care of them, saving another 300 mile round trip later; though eventually you'll have to have scheduled service anyway.

You made no mistake with your purchase, esp. buying a Newmar product. So quit fretting. The anxiety will ruin your experience if you let it, and you'll eventually see that it is unfounded. Like the previous commentor implied, these rigs are complicated bundles of components, any one or more of which will go haywire. It is not the end of the world - just get the glitches fixed under warranty after heavy first season's use to ferret them all out. As long as you don't let constant worry get in the way, you'll have a rig full of fun in the process.

1/2 Canadian

1984 Pace Arrow

traded for
2006 Beaver Monterey
1997 Ford Explorer Limited 4X4

Flyfishing in my blood

[purple]Good Sam Life Member 1334373, 35 yrs. RVing[/purple]
Family Motorcoach Member F384437, Beaver Ambassador Club 14 yrs.

Roark_Family
Explorer
Explorer
GoinPlaces wrote:
We've just bought our new motor home (2006 Newmar Scottsdale) and drove it home (a 150 mile trip one way), parked it in the driveway, and began planning and packing for our first vacation. We were to leave tomorrow morning, but now we can't because our automatic leveling jacks won't come down. They're stuck. We had driven it only to gas up, then returned home with it, and now can't get the jacks to come down. We've called the manufacturer of the leveling jacks for help. They tried over the phone to walk us through some things to see if it would work, but NO luck. Now, we've got to postpone the vacation, and make the 300 mile roundtrip back to the dealership for them to work on it. I'm having major anxiety attacks about what we have gotten ourselves into. We're not even out of the driveway yet! At least it is fixable, we think, and it is drivable. When our friends heard we bought a new RV, they all have said, "Oh, you're going to have so much fun!". I am beginning to seriously wonder if the fun will ever happen!

Being a 1st timer my self, we've heard that buying a brand new MH is like buying a brand new house. There will be kink and quirks that need to be worked out at the begining. Then everything should be fine and only regular maintenance is all that is needed. Accepting that expectation will calm you down.

Unfortunatly it's not like buying a new car. Because we're so used to buying new cars and expect them to be perfect, we approach the brand new MH with the same expectation. It's just not that way. I believe it should be that way, but I can't change an entire industry.

Just keep a positive attitude and you'll be able to rack up those life long family memories.
Four Winds 2002 Hurricane 33SL
Family of 7
Husband, wife, 2 kids
2 dogs, 1 parrot (solomon island eclectus, male)

kboyt
Explorer
Explorer
On a trip to Cypress-Black Bayou Park out of Bossier LA., We had been on the road about 30 min when my coach started downshifting. I pulled over and the transmission shifted ok and I started traveling again, I had traveled about 5 miles and downed shifted again. I pulled over and checked the fluid leave in the transmission, ok, started up again and drove about 40 miles trouble again, this time an error code appeared,after slowing down I was able to return to speed limit and drive to United Engines in Shreveport. The tech read the Allison code and said I was losing electrical power to the transmission control unit. After 4 HRs of searching and repairing, we found that the mfg. had routed the main start battery cable and a bundle of control wires through a rubber covered bracket at the top of the motor under the bed. The rubber had rubbed off and cut into the wires and had burned some of the wires into. Looked like someone had burned the bundle with a torch. 2002 36' Foretravel with 400 Cummings and 6 speed Allison. 30,000 mi at time of tbl. This fire was only 14" under the bed, lucky we did not have a coach fire, No help from Foretravel. Coach was out of warranty in Jan. and this occurred in May.