cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying 2015 Road Trek or Airstream Interstat

kannon
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody have an idea of how much of a discount I should be looking for on either Road Trek or Interstate,2015 model?.MSRP dealers are showing is about 150K.On my purchases of Class A's in the past,I could expect 25-30%.But there was more $'s involved.
37 REPLIES 37

kannon
Explorer
Explorer
I think it can be had for under 100K if you are good at playing the barganing game.We paid a little more but my wife talks too much.

kannon
Explorer
Explorer
The bed pulls out from the back like the typical fold out couch in MH's and extends but it leaves a space that can only be filled by pulling the back rest into the space created and that requires the side out.The slide out is only about two feet and is easy to do.It felt comfortable but there are spaces between the joints and I think it will take a night of sleeping to see how it works.I don't get to take the van out until friday for it's shake down.

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
The ERA70C is a nice rig alright and is similar to others out there. I am somewhat concerned about the fold out sofa bed in the video. I started to feel my lower back ache just estimating the amount of padding compared to the memory foam used in B vans like mine. Kind of reminds me of the sofa beds which ruin one's back for life when visiting someone, somewhere.
Just wondering....??

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
gerrym51 wrote:
My Roadtrek wrote:
Nice video walk through of the Era 70 C.
http://www.lichtsinn.com/winnebago-era-ppc.aspx?gclid=COGa_tPo08MCFYphfgodwzIAjA

hey rodger,

is there any online access to your pictures of quieting onan you had on your old site-

thanks

Marko might have my pages. Here is one that is the same way I did mine, except he made some nice rubber hangers. In the test video, I don't believe the resonator works stuck on the end, as well as it does welded in.
http://roadtreklife.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-09-17T13:49:00-07:00&max-results=5&start=40...

Edited to fix the link.

TCar
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I've watched that video so many times I have even memorized the exact time the video freezes (at exactly 15:12)

If this unit can be slept in without needing to extend the slide, my search is over.

I still can't believe a Class B with 45 Fresh/25 Grey and 22 Black!
Way better than the 32/27/15 in the Interstate or the 33/21/10 on the Roadtrek. (I do almost exclusively Boondocking)

gerrym51
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Roadtrek wrote:
Nice video walk through of the Era 70 C.
http://www.lichtsinn.com/winnebago-era-ppc.aspx?gclid=COGa_tPo08MCFYphfgodwzIAjA

hey rodger,

is there any online access to your pictures of quieting onan you had on your old site-

thanks

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer

TCar
Explorer
Explorer
Also, since you bought one maybe you can answer something for me.

I was reading up on the ERA 70C and one thing that sticks out is where is says you cannot extend the bed without extending the slide.

Can't the bed be extended part ways, enough to sleep on if I just need a bit more room than the couch for a few hours of roadside rest?

Looking at the pictures makes me think it can.

TCar
Explorer
Explorer
kannon wrote:
Thank you all for your help.Bought the Winnebago ESA c70 diesel.Discount from MSRP was 18%.La Mesa has an RV show at Pima Fairgrounds.
Great choice, please keep us posted on how it works out for you.
I'm on the edge of either a 2015 ERA 70C or a Roadtrek Adventurous.

At 18% off MSRP I'm thinking you came in just under $98K, is that about right?

kannon
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know anything about stripes.It is silver with chrome stripes but nothing colored.

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
But did you get the ERA with or without stripes ?

kannon
Explorer
Explorer
You can never tell about quality.My first MH was a Dutch Star.Many on the net recommended Newmar products.Took a trip down to Cancun and along the way my Cat broke down and left me stranded in the middle of nowhere.Had the tow car and traveled around looking for a tow truck to get me back to a city where there was a Caterpillar facility.Tow trucks to haul a 40 ft MH don't exist in that part of the world.My wife speaks german and we found a german man living in Mexico who called around trying to help us..After a week sitting on the side of the road a larger tow truck,not nearly big enough, showed up hauled us the the Caterpillar facility destroying the front of the MH.Caterpillar fixed a broken pump in the engine and the tow company sent me to a car mechanic to fix my MH.We knew that was not going to work and were not going to get any satisfaction.Headed back to the USA and discovered at Beaudry that the whole frame of the MH had been bent out of shape.The shop fixed everything up for 10K.Insurance didn't not cover Mexico.I had a Motosat on the MH and was able to communicate with Caterpillar in the US and they took care of the motor repair under warranty but the failure of the engine cost me neverthe less.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
wincrasher65 wrote:

LOL. My statement is more of a joke than anything. My van is fairly cheap and without alot of features. But I am amazed at how well it's holding up considering how hard I bang on it.

I like your style. A response with a lot of food for thought and no personal attacks. ๐Ÿ™‚
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

wincrasher65
Explorer
Explorer
AsheGuy wrote:
wincrasher65 wrote:
If you want to make bold proclamations about quality, here's one for you - Winnebago Travato is the highest quality RV I've ever experienced! It's not had one single breakdown that required a trip to the dealer. The chassis had provided the promised MPG and performance without a single issue.
That doesn't say much for the RVs you have previously had. I would say this applies to many class B owners in the first year.

In fact in 10 years and 124K miles we have never had a breakdown that required a trip to the dealer. The closest was the "infamous" Sprinter turbo resonator that failed, but we were able to drive from Nova Scotia to Boston to get it fixed under warranty. And this was after 50K miles and three years.

LOL. My statement is more of a joke than anything. My van is fairly cheap and without alot of features. But I am amazed at how well it's holding up considering how hard I bang on it.

In my past, I've owned the large deisel pusher with all those bells and whistles. That I bought brand new BTW. It was not a fun experience. I see a push to make our B's like those big RV and all the fustrations and problems that go along with them.

Actually, you make my point though. People are interchanging the words "quality" for "features". They are not the same thing. Cutting cabinets on a CNC machine is not quality. It's a feature. Quality is selecting materials that will be environmentally stable and putting them together so they won't come apart or develop cracks over time.

Is solid hardwood screwed together "higher quality" than some built from composites with a welded aluminum frame? Time will tell, but my expectation is the "cheap", "low end" framed will prove to be more long lasting and problem free. Yes, it's not as pretty.

But beyond that, is a diesel heating system "higher quality" than a trusty old Suburban? Who knows, maybe it will be, or it will be like the many complained about in the big rigs.
Fancy in-floor heat can be defeated with a single misplaced screw or sliced wire rubbed raw by miles of over-the-road use. So is it a "higher quality" system if it fails in a few years, and a cheap, noisy, gas furnace works without attention for 10 years?

Having your iPhone control features in an RV? I know you can get the interface hardware for a few hundred bucks, but would you really want that over a few rocker switches? How many times I've picked up my ringing iPhone and it won't swipe I couldn't recount. No thanks. That's not quality either, but a crazy feature. But that's what all the big $ busses have (ipads actually) so it must be something people want. I'd rather have the multiplex wiring and switches you see in a Pleasureway (as a standard feature BTW).

Airbags? Is that quality or a feature? I've experienced and airbag failure on my pusher that almost got me killed. It did leave me stranded along a busy highway for hours and resulted in a $1500 tow bill. That was fun. Only 1 out of 8 blew, so that's a pretty good quality record, right?

Davdd is right, I don't know all there is to know about ARV pricing. I haven't wasted their time by having a van configured. But they START at $169k. And skyrocket from there depending how crazy you want to get. You can easily add $20k just on the van options from Mercedes!. And then add Lithiums and solar and on and on. But Davydd had posted in the past that this was likely to be the most expensive van they've ever built. They've posted one used van as high as $189k with fewer features, so draw your own conclusions. So don't lecture me about not understanding the costs. I just haven't drunk the Kool-Aid as some have.

But my point isn't to deride spending money on what you want. If it gives you pleasure, then so what. My gripe is that it's thrown out there that everything else is just sub-standard. My point is you can get a lifetime's worth of nearly problem free enjoyment out of something that is reasonably priced, or even cheap, if it's features are "good enough". "Good enough", screwed together with reasonable care, is "high quality".
2016 Winnebago Travato 59K, 2017 Allegro 32SA
Follow my blog: www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: Class B Camper Vans