cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cabin temperature monitor

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
We have two dogs that we leave in the motorhome for several hours at a time while at the beach, dining, etc. We are concerned that if the AC should trip off for some reason the temp would rise to a dangerous level in the motorhome. I am looking for a unit that would call our cell phones in the event of a high temp. I know these are on the market but would like some comments on some of them that you guys might have experience with. pros and cons.
Thanks!
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart
22 REPLIES 22

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't they make temperature sensors that can let you know via your cell phone if the temperature gets too hot or too cold? This may take some kind of wireless hook up or internet service at an RV park, but I think they are available.

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm curious, how high would the inside temp need to rise to be unhealthy for dogs? I'm thinking over 110 or better but really have no idea.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

toolttime
Explorer
Explorer
You have a magnum controller for you coach. we you go to AGS settings on the magnum controller you can set the generator to start at what temperature you set it at. Leave your A/C on and they will run while generator is running and will shut of when it cools to temp you programmed in. I have a 2015 Tuscany and use the AGS quite often
2015 Thor Tuscany 45AT

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
cruiserjs wrote:
We love dogs! But;
"We have two dogs that we leave in the motorhome for several hours at a time while at the beach, dining, etc"
We never would do such a thing to a family member!! If you have to go out and leave them -- leave them at HOME!!

Now wait a freeking minute!
We have 3 dogs. Big ones. 2 huskies and an Elkhound.
And in 29 days we close on the house and go fulltime.
And leaving the dogs alone in their home will happen, probably often.

AND WE HAVE NO TOHER HOME TO LEAVE THEM IN!

They are not quite so whimpy as some would think. As long as there is some airflow, and a dish full of water, and a couple bones, they are fine. We do have an auto gen start (our coach has a Monaco inverter, so I installed thiers) but no need to get crazy.

Heck, the air conditioning on my wrangler has been broke for 2 years, I'm too cheap to fix it, and am fine so far....

Please do not be so quick to judge others. People lived just fine before the invention of climate control, and dogs too.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
cj7365 wrote:
cruiserjs wrote:
We love dogs! But;
"We have two dogs that we leave in the motorhome for several hours at a time while at the beach, dining, etc"
We never would do such a thing to a family member!! If you have to go out and leave them -- leave them at HOME!!

Oh boy:R

So I can never leave my wife in the RV by herself either?

You really ought to think about what you wrote

Hahahah, I was thinking the same thing.

There's always someone here to scold people that ask questions though isn't there?
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

stardalo
Explorer
Explorer
So, I am in a similar situation. Bought temp alert several years ago, too complicated. Instead, I bought this thermostat on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001XVWWKG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I then mounted it behind my dining table. Then when I leave the motorhome, I leave my Macbook (which has a built in camera) open on the table with a wireless card in it (set to auto restart if connection fails). I installed a program on my Macbook called logmein.com. Logmein, allows me to access the Macbook and the camera that is pointed at the wall thermometer using an iPhone app.

Then every hour or so, I login and check the temps and know pups are nice and cool.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't use it for RV, but several years ago I bought http://www.radiothermostat.com/ and can monitor, or adjust the settings from anwyhere in the World as long as I have internet connection.
Would assume that on campgrounds you have WI-FI and if not, you can have cellphone modem, or tethering.
Synchronizing the thermostat with WI-FI is a bit of a headache, but later you can check the indoor temperature from your smart phone or any computer with Internet.
I think latest option was a monitoring camera that can be attached.
Those thermostats sell at Home Depot for less than $100 and I bought one on manager's special for $45.
Looks like not much demand.

cj7365
Explorer
Explorer
cruiserjs wrote:
We love dogs! But;

Oh boy:R

So I can never leave my wife in the RV by herself either?

You really ought to think about what you wrote

et2
Explorer
Explorer
AikenRacer wrote:
Thanks et2 !!

You're welcome. Just remember to turn it on everytime you shut down the MH engine to park. The ignition, brake & transmission are the fail safe shut off to the auto feature. This way you don't kill yourself in a enclosed space when it starts.

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
For some of us the RV "IS" the home... that we leave the dog in, instead of torturing their paws on the hot sand.

If you don't have one I would suggest a Fantastic or Maxx-Air fan that is thermostatically controlled to automatically turn on at a high temperature. These are run on your 12v system so work weather you are plugged in or not.

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks et2 !!
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my Arson work dog, my Ford Expedition was set up to run without the key in the ignition. If the system shut off, it would page me on a pager that came with the system. I don't recall the make of the manufacturer, but you might find a dog handler in your area and ask.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

et2
Explorer
Explorer
cruiserjs wrote:
We love dogs! But;

I think they were more interested in a different response. Do you ever leave your sticks and bricks? Or do you get a baby sitter for your pets?

cruiserjs
Explorer
Explorer
We love dogs! But;
Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse