cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cheap Handling Fix at Ford Dealer

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
One of the local Ford dealers in our area claim to be one of the biggest F53/Motorhome service centers in the country (Gator Ford east of Tampa Florida). They have a 60,000lb lift and run specials for RV service. I am going to make an appointment soon to get an alignment on our new motorhome. I was wondering if anyone had ever had a Ford dealer do the cheap handling fix. I really enjoy driving the new motorhome but it does have a lot of body roll when taking corners. Before I spend any money on suspension mods I'd like to try the CHF first as long as it doesn't affect the Ford warranty.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)
26 REPLIES 26

jyrostng
Explorer
Explorer
DryCreek wrote:
jyrostng wrote:
"I got excellent results using the adjustable length sway bar links from Hellwig."

What length did you use? part number?

These are what I used: Hellwig 7962 11-14" Adjustable Endlinks

First, I removed one sway bar end link .

You did it RIGHT, the only right way is with the extenders so you can put the bar back at it's mid point or a little lower so it doesn't bind up the suspension when it bounces. I read your amazon write up, I have prime, already ordered it, be here Tues. no shipping, thanks
2000 F53 Southwind 32v

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
jyrostng wrote:
"I got excellent results using the adjustable length sway bar links from Hellwig."

These are what I used: Hellwig 7962 11-14" Adjustable Endlinks

First, I removed one sway bar end link - both top and bottom. Next, I installed one of the adjustable end links in the upper mount, and then adjusted it out until it was aligned with the inboard hole on the sway bar. I then bolted it up and removed the other side and repeated the installation. I did this on a very flat slab with all slides in to ensure that I didn't lock in any body lean caused by shifted weight.

As a note, the steel bushing inserts are undersized for the Ford mounting bolts. I had to drill them out a little bit, but it wasn't difficult at all. I just lightly gripped the steel inserts in a vise and carefully drilled them out.

jyrostng
Explorer
Explorer

2000 F53 Southwind 32v

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
hostage wrote:
what might this safety issue be?

Handling would be vastly improved and then folks will be taking corners on two wheels?

You can install the Z-Brackets in either direction, so the argument that they are there solely for that purpose doesn't hold water.

I got excellent results using the adjustable length sway bar links from Hellwig. They were under $100, and I took the front end links to use on the rear when I did the CHF on it.

The cherry on the sundae was adding an UltraRV rear track (Panhard) bar. The coach is a better mannered beast now.

hostage
Explorer
Explorer
the trippers wrote:
I'm thinking the Ford place will not perform the CHF due to safety issues. And Thank you 'Quebec' for the Ford F-53 drawing showing the actual reason for the extra holes. It's all been speculation up till now.

what might this safety issue be?

hostage
Explorer
Explorer
They may have eventually used it for such but that not the reason they put that hole there in the first place otherwise they would have installed the brackets from the factory
PursuitInsight wrote:
the extra hole is not for the cheap fix. it is to reinforce the link attachment
***Link Removed***

the_trippers
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking the Ford place will not perform the CHF due to safety issues. And Thank you 'Quebec' for the Ford F-53 drawing showing the actual reason for the extra holes. It's all been speculation up till now.
2018 Tiffin Allegro 32SA

jyrostng
Explorer
Explorer
PursuitInsight wrote:
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/tsb/tsb...

Exactly. But, it helps so much by moving the bolts people wish it was otherwise.
The factory SHOULD just put a large enough bar to handle the weight of the finished product
2000 F53 Southwind 32v

PursuitInsight
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/tsb/tsb...

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Post back with what the Ford dealer says, please.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
See no reason for them not to do it for a service fee. The holes are there as an optional attachment point. Same for the rear ones.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

jyrostng
Explorer
Explorer
I'm also curious what they say. The CHF changes the geometry on both ends of the sway bar. It limits the suspension travel by the swaybar bottoming out and becoming a mechanical limit it was never designed for. I realize that and still did the rear only. Not the front. I also have never heard of a problem from it. If you take the front links off, place the jack stands on the frame with the front tires jacked off the ground. the front links are about 5" too short to connect to the swaybar's holes closest to the axle. If they were connected in the holes closest to the axle, they would be holding the suspension up about 5" over dips or anywhere the suspension needed the travel, the shocks would be the limiters otherwise. A buddy of mines sway bar broke in a turn and he rolled the pick up truck. I can imagine what a RV would be like if it broke in a turn.
2000 F53 Southwind 32v