cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Considering a Class B

long_hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all. First time on the forum. I don't currently own an RV but my parents were into RVing through much of my childhood. I'm getting the itch to buy one but I don't want one of the huge motorhomes or even a class C. I really like the class b's because they are small and maneuverable but you can still have some decent living space on an RV trip. I'm also keen on the gas mileage.

My questions are -- why are these smaller rv's so dang expensive and has anyone gone from a larger RV to a smaller class B? Any regrets?

Thanks!
36 REPLIES 36

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
As one not influenced by "fluff", I prefer "function". Thus, carefully read up on Sporstmobile. Their site shows all the basic van costs, different layouts, DIY options galore and many 2-wheel and 4-wheel options, including Sprinter models.

They explain all options and mechanical systems well. And, prices are stated there as well for each option.

Others may be prettier and flashier...... but can they fight?

๐Ÿ˜‰
Ray

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
look at LEISURE TRAVEL VANS, there just right, ours a freedom serenity II is great, quality cost more up front but way better ten years from now.don,t only buy a rv with a fiber glass body and ROOF ,most all the rest develope leaks.

OP, the Serenity is a Class C, LTV hasn't made a Class B for a few years now.

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
The first reason B's are more expensive is that it is harder to work inside a body composed of complex curves, like a van has, than to put furniture into a box with all right angles.

The second reason is quality of workmanship. The less expensive class C's are really slapped together, often using inferior materials. For whatever reason, all of the class B makers use better materials and more careful assembly.
Advanced RV Sprinter

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
A long time ago we owned a 1972 Dodge B300 Family Wagon Camper Van conversion. It was easily the most versatile vehicle we have ever owned. We were young family with three kids and had moved up a little from a VW camper conversion. The van camper had a two burner propane stove, an ice box, and a sink with water pump and a water tank, It had a small potty room with a porta-potti. The bed/dinette was convertible by moving cusions etc. There were 12 volt interior lights and no air conditioning or furnace. There was an overhead bed for kids and another telescoping bed in the rear. It had a bubble top which allowed standing up inside. There was very little storage room except for the front overhead bed. You could easily cobble a rig together like that. It got about 16 mpg and was usable as a hauling vehicle and daily get around. Today's Roadtrek van conversions have all of the comforts of home packed into a van. They are custom produced in small numbers and are probably not as quick/easy to assemble as Class C's.
Best to go to a Roadtrek dealer and simulate using the bathroom/shower, dinette and bed, sitting accomodations. You can plan on sitting outside under the awning while camped for "elbow room".
MPG won't be so great because of the all-up weight. Maybe a used Roadtrek or similar van conversion.

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
the expense, I think, is driven by cramming so much into a small space... imagine that each piece of cabinetry has to be able to fit in thru a door or window opening- then put up.
nothing is square and it's all curvey on the backsides.

the premium builders ( both quality and cost) use better materials- much of my cabinetry is solid maple

some makes and models, such as roadtrek drop the floor a couple of inches, which adds to the cost.

the space is truly tight- if you are tall you can rule out sideways sleeper models unless they are widebodies.

youtube videos from dealers will show the features of various model and you can get a good idea of space by watching the salesguy move around inside the van.

the upside is parking, driving & mpg. ours is a chevy , so easy to work on

We really like our 2006 Pleasure-Way Lexor TD and travel 2 + big dog

we use it for weekenders and did a month long trip from AZ to MI and Ont this summer

one other thing which may or not be valid:

crashes- last weekend a guy rolled an A on the freeway here- it folded up flat, ending up about 4' high.
i think I'd do better in my B.

my local craigslist is where I found my B.
right now there are listings from 80k to 10K depending on what you want

Mike

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
look at LEISURE TRAVEL VANS, there just right, ours a freedom serenity II is great, quality cost more up front but way better ten years from now.don,t only buy a rv with a fiber glass body and ROOF ,most all the rest develope leaks.

ronfisherman
Moved from Class C.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD