cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Considering a Class B

long_hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all. First time on the forum. I don't currently own an RV but my parents were into RVing through much of my childhood. I'm getting the itch to buy one but I don't want one of the huge motorhomes or even a class C. I really like the class b's because they are small and maneuverable but you can still have some decent living space on an RV trip. I'm also keen on the gas mileage.

My questions are -- why are these smaller rv's so dang expensive and has anyone gone from a larger RV to a smaller class B? Any regrets?

Thanks!
36 REPLIES 36

bobcat66
Explorer
Explorer
This is an excellent site that includes Travato owners and wannabes. Incredibly few complaints.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/travatoowners/
Jack

The_Last_Mimzy
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased my 1999 Roadtrek 170 Popular on RVTRADER.COM. I drive it to work, grocery store, etc. I would suggest maybe looking into renting one to see if you like it. I researched over a year before deciding on a Roadtrek. Good luck!

cameronpatentla
Explorer
Explorer
Here is one of the better Travato resources:

https://travato2014.wordpress.com

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Travatos are good units, and Winnebago keeps improving them. This latest round, the Winnebago 59K got sliders and the ability to move the twin beds into one large bed. The Truma furnace and water heater is excellent, and I've read zero complaints about it.

long_hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the recommendations. After researching more floor plans, I've been most interested in the 2016 Winnebago Travato models. They offer roomy layouts with all the features one person would need.
Has anyone had issues with the Travato?

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
long_hauler wrote:
Hey all. First time on the forum. I don't currently own an RV but my parents were into RVing through much of my childhood. I'm getting the itch to buy one but I don't want one of the huge motorhomes or even a class C. I really like the class b's because they are small and maneuverable but you can still have some decent living space on an RV trip. I'm also keen on the gas mileage.

My questions are -- why are these smaller rv's so dang expensive and has anyone gone from a larger RV to a smaller class B? Any regrets?

Thanks!

I believe the relevant question you asked and the answer to it is this: Class B's if diesels are more expensive than gassers. The Class B models which are internally fitted with quality wood interiors and all the necessary amenities are expensive to build. Class C cutaways should be cheaper than they are but they aren't. Our 2006(2007 build) Pleasure-way Plateau TS is a good example of an originally costly rig. But it has all the amenities needed including a decent wet bath(room). The new type Promaster rvs are less expensive but not cheap. You might consider a used B but make sure it has been thoroughly examined in all the usual ways. Cheers.
AL

PS My spouse wanted an LTV Unity but I just bought a Montana Wilderness Hickory 4 slide 5th wheel. Different use(part time stopover place) than our PW which is great for road trips as all B'ers will attest..

sprintstream
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Sprinter Gulfstream. I've always thought that one of the reasons they seem to cost more is they are more rare and highly desirable. We've had ours 2 years and its still books out close to the price we paid for it. We keep track and we've had 12 strangers walk up and ask to see inside. Never had that with any other camper or trailer.

We love ours but then we always knew we weren't spending multiple days camping in it. We primarily use it to get from A to B and spending the nights on the road to get there. If we are going to be somewhere for more than a couple nights we motel it. Wife has bad legs and can go back and lay down while we tool on down the road. I can drive it around the city without too much of an issue. I get 20mpg consistently and wish we'd had it longer.

That what you wanted to know
Was living the dream in the Ozarks
Now just living

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
long_hauler wrote:

Thanks!

A lot of the Bs are diesels like the Sprinters which cost more for the Mercedes Benz drivetrain but they are durable and get great fuel mileage--on diesel. I have one. Gas models are cheaper but there are compromises. You might consider a Promaster model such as 59G. Decide what features you want and then go shopping. Good luck.
AL

Heapie
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks,

I have a 2002 Roadtrek 190V Chev purchased used. I did research for over two years and felt the used market and support of the Roadtrek was the best bet.

You have to do your homework to determine prices based on year, millage, condition, etc. Next you have to find used in your area. Never purchase a used RV without test driving and seeing it.

You could buy new, but remember the depreciation is quite steep.

Why a Class B. Ease of driving and economy of driving. If you are a horder (ask your friends) you should forget a class B.

Good luck,

HEAPIE

SwanInWA
Explorer
Explorer
We downsized to a B in 2012 with no regrets, HOWEVER -- that being said, I'll admit it was a bit of an adjustment after six years in a 24' fifth wheel. We carried so much **** around in that fiver! The first few times we camped in the B, I thought maybe we had made a mistake, but being forced to downsize and rediscovering a simpler form of RVing has been awesome.

Teri (the RV.netter)

Eric (the significant other)

[purple]Angus (the fur-faced kidlet)[/purple]
The B (2008 Pleasure-Way Lexor RL-4)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

Gaetan
Explorer
Explorer
Long hauler
Look at your private messages.
Gaetan
Gaetan St-Hilaire
2004 silverado 4/4 2500HD long box Duramax/Allison
2003 everest 323k
2003 northernlite ten 2000 rd

applegater
Explorer
Explorer
To answer the Second part of the OP's question we went from a B to a small C and now back to a B(as soon as it is finished). We anticipate no regrets going back to the B!

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
stan909 wrote:
A lot of us here actually try to talk people out of Class B's when a small C would be better for them. I own a B for when it's wife and me and a Class A for when the kids and dogs come with.I never go to the Class A forum to spread the "Good Word". I have talked to a friend of mine about changing to a Class b or B plus(C),but he just turned 94 and drives a 42' pusher.By all accounts of people who have ridden with him, it is a very scary experience.

Why? I thought the OP had made a very clear statement in regard to wanting a B and not a larger RV including a Class C. If you would never go to a Class A forum and spread the "Good Word" then why does it seem necessary to go to a Class B forum?
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of us here actually try to talk people out of Class B's when a small C would be better for them.I own a B for when it's wife and me and a Class A for when the kids and dogs come with.I never go to the Class A forum to spread the "Good Word".I have talked to a friend of mine about changing to a Class b or B plus(C),but he just turned 94 and drives a 42' pusher.By all accounts of people who have ridden with him, it is a very scary experience.