cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Considering a Class B

long_hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all. First time on the forum. I don't currently own an RV but my parents were into RVing through much of my childhood. I'm getting the itch to buy one but I don't want one of the huge motorhomes or even a class C. I really like the class b's because they are small and maneuverable but you can still have some decent living space on an RV trip. I'm also keen on the gas mileage.

My questions are -- why are these smaller rv's so dang expensive and has anyone gone from a larger RV to a smaller class B? Any regrets?

Thanks!
36 REPLIES 36

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
tbirdman wrote:
Nothing wrong with talking about the choice between a B or a C in a Class B forum. It is a natural discussion as people are trying to decide whether a B or a C is best for them.

He's NOT trying to decide, he HAS decided!
Ray

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
My Roadtrek wrote:
Tho op said he doesn't want a Class C, so why do people need to hijack the thread to talk about Class C's? You don't see Class B people doing that to threads in the C forum.
I say if you want to discuss the difference between a B, and a C start a new topic, don't try and change the op's thread unless they ask for it.

X2
Ray

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Tho op said he doesn't want a Class C, so why do people need to hijack the thread to talk about Class C's? You don't see Class B people doing that to threads in the C forum.
I say if you want to discuss the difference between a B, and a C start a new topic, don't try and change the op's thread unless they ask for it.

tbirdman
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing wrong with talking about the choice between a B or a C in a Class B forum. It is a natural discussion as people are trying to decide whether a B or a C is best for them. I personally have found the Bs too small especially in the bath area with the Travato being the exception.

I like to point to those who are considering a B vs a small C that there is as not much difference in size as B owners would lead you to believe. Yes there may be extreme cases where a small B might be able to go where I can't, but I also have higher ground clearance than a lot of Bs so there are places I can go where Bs can't. However in 99%.9 percent of the cases where people want to go, Bs and Cs can follow each other. I do like the stealthiness of B and also the increase in drivability but also like the interior room that a small C provides while still being close in size to a B. I have driven both and my small C drives very close to a B.

I do detect a religious fervor for those that own Bs and that's OK, but we all are here to help one another. Maybe you should visit the C forums;)

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
Heck. Even people from the trailer forum come over here proselytizing. They must feel sorry for us. "Poor misguided van owners".

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
Right on!
It's interesting to see that the OP stats that he decided AGAINST a class C and WANTS a class B instead and still some folks will try to convince him otherise. lol
Ray

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! I've got to go venture into the Class C Forum on RV.net and tell everyone why my Class B is better. Nah!
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at the Class B's initially, and there just wasn't enough space. We ended up buying a class C that was 2 feet shorter (easier to maneuver) had much more storage space, and was 28,000.00 less expensive.

We also liked having all of the extra space in the cab-over area.

The biggest plus though, was having a 2 year warranty, instead of just the 1 year warranty that the class B had.
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

BudJ
Explorer
Explorer
Shearwater wrote:
alexbushy wrote:
IF you want a class B, look at this link....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBuKRu6q0HQ

Looks more like a class C to me.

It is a Class C RV. The fellow even said so using the code word (c minus). No wait, I think he used the other code word, b plus.

Bud

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
alexbushy wrote:
IF you want a class B, look at this link....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBuKRu6q0HQ

Looks more like a class C to me.
Advanced RV Sprinter

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
Class B's & small C's are expensive, for the reasons others have already noted, especially compared to those that are just a box on a chassis. Buying used saves some money, assuming you can live without the warranties, but it takes some effort to find a unit that was well-cared for but not used "too much". However, it does appear possible from the comments on this forum over the years.
2013 RT 190-Popular

gypsyhounds
Explorer
Explorer
Thought about moving up to C but love my pleasure way 2006 Lexor.
Best thing is to go walk inside as many as you can find new or used figure out what you are willing to pay then do your searches. I saw several Lexie's for sale the other day about my same year 30,000-40,000.
Sports mobile are nice because of 4x4 $$$$$. But many do not have shower or convenient toilet. Porta potty.
Class B's have smaller components than C's and those parts cost more as being more smaller demand than the C and A and big pull trailers parts. And the mark up in lots, crazy.
I chose my van because it was so well made. Held up to rattle dirts roads really well.
Nov - Dec great time to buy. Dealers want inventory moved.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
They don't have to be so expensive, it is just that the mainstream market in B's today is a luxury market, and that's what the dealers are ordering, since they are not having trouble selling them, even taking large margins. Most of what you see is way above any entry level C or travel trailer in cost of fixtures and trim materials used.

An extended-body 3/4 van today runs about $35,000, somewhat more for the Sprinter. A converter can put $30,000 into the conversion or $100,000 into the conversion. Winnebago's Travato is a medium price conversion on a low-cost van, their ERA is a premium conversion ($80K range) on a much more expensive van.

So for lower cost type B RVs today, functional but not so plush, look a Winnebago's Travato. It gets a bad rep among B reviewers from time to time for being so "plain" or "cheap."

Pleasureway used to sell a lower cost conversion on the E-series van, the pop-up roof Traverse. It was more of a camper van than a full-fledged motorhome. Roadtrek offers a Ranger RT on the Chevy van that is about $20K less than the similar-size Popular 190 or even $10K under the smaller Popular 170; Ranger is less lushly fitted out.

Sportsmobile routinely does conversions at the $30K-50K level, might build for something less if your needs are simple enough. An equivalent of the 1960's camper vans might be done DIY with about $10K worth of fittings and materials, but you are likely to put $20K worth of your own labor into it, if you value it as highly as labor costs in a RV conversion shop.

Look at the Travato (dealers will have them), try to find a Ranger RT (or at least look at the description), then check out Sportsmobile's web page, where you can sort of build what you want and estimate the cost (price).
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

cameronpatentla
Explorer
Explorer
We really like our 2016 Winnebago ERA class B, subject to small, irritating quality issues. Coachman just announced a Class B on the MB platform (Galleria) also, which looks interesting. As far as cost, it's what the market will bear. You can probably get a new ERA around $80,000-$85,000. The Galleria, I'd guess, is probably going to be around $95,000-$110,000. Anyone with actual Galleria pricing info, feel free to jump in.

Lynn0527
Explorer
Explorer
Hi - I have a Pleasureway Excel TS and am very happy with my purchase. They are expensive, you are right but the downside is that they are very hard to find second hand. I looked for 2 years before I found mine. As I am getting ready to be retired and will be traveling solo with a dog, it was very important to me that I didn't have to haul, could park anywhere, a little better gas mileage and a quality build. The Pleasureway fit the bill and has served my purposes very well for 2 years. I have had nothing and I mean nothing go wrong with it during those 2 years. As for size, if you are traveling on your own, they are a perfect size. I have a medium size dog and I think we fit in just perfectly. I have traveled with a friend and I think for 2 people it would be less comfortable.

Hope you find what you are looking for,
2012 Pleasure Way TS Excel
Calgary Alberta