cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CURRENT tire replacement experiences sought

TexasJorge
Explorer
Explorer
The stooped is strong in this one. yeah, but I'ma lucky...

I am new to this "lifestyle"--have planned on it since late 2001. Like most--I'd guess. I started with an older, pre-owned unit. I am now looking to replace six (6) tires. Googling reviews on the subject brings up a LOT of forum results, but most appear to be from 2008-20011, or earlier.

Most of the posts on Chinese/truck tire brands are equally as old. As many pointed out--then--various Asian brands--Toyo, Yokohama, etc. were once trash talked by Michelin/Goodyear purists as viciously as those I've found for the current crop of relatively new Chinese brands.
Some of the Chinese brands have been around long enough that their performance quality could be reported in a more recent fashion, I'd think.
I found THIS THREAD, before I registered here, by way of example:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24375786/print/true.cfm

The latest entry on this one appears to be 09/2011. That was four years ago. I get the purist's view, even if I don't subscribe to it. I'm not broke, but I AM cheap, I guess. I've read the warnings of buy now, pay later. I have a problem w/ buying Good year tires (made in Asia, btw) at $500 a pop.

Any recent experiences with "other" brand/type tires, good or bad would be appreciated. I looked thru the threads (here and elsewhere) and may have missed something along the lines of what I'm asking. I apologize, in advance if that is the case.

I have a 36 ft 'S' model with a tag axle. I'm still learning to live in it, and have put about 3500 miles on it to get to my current location. It is embarrassing to admit, but aside from having one blow while sitting on stabilizers-- inside dual,drivers side. Looks like I have about four different brands involved already. I won't even go into date codes. The two newest are Samsons up front on the steers.
31 REPLIES 31

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Happy with my six Firestone FS560 Plus 9R22.5 all position tires. Ride well, not noisy, and have excellent reviews, even with the truckers, and even some on this forum.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

gswcgi
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my 22.5" Goodyears with Bridgestones on my DP. Very, very happy with them. Bought them at Les Schwab.
'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
. deleted
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

klm
Explorer
Explorer
Bought 6 Michelin's - using the FMCA discount. 3rd set over the years without any issues.
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR

TexasJorge
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
Number One buy a tire that you can afford to buy and do your research before buying! What I mean by that is know your DOT date codes, search for tire reviews like Consumer Reports, do you want to purchase a RV tire or a truck tire? Do you want a soft rubber tire or a hard rubber tire? Buy a tire with a high sidewall rating! And most of all go to Michelin Tires Website and read about Quality Tire Care and Maintenance and practice there techniques for maximum tire wear. Good Luck in whatever you choose to buy!

Thank you. Thought I kinda covered that. I'm an alum of the "pointy stick" brigade, and my last "home on wheels" was a 'Hillbilly uparmored' Humvee w/ 4 bunkmates;). I've also spent a little time driving OTR. which is like a house w/o plumbing now that I think on it. I am NOT enamored of the most expensive is best school of thought. I am leaning towards commercial truck tires. 2nd tier brands have jumped to near 1st tier PRICE levels--after having been historically savaged by old time purists.

There are several levels of "quality" among what I refer to as tier three brands--the China market -- with all the potential baggage/risks that entails. Again, I get what I call the 'Muhrica' RV/purist pov. My checks so far, seem to say "14 ply" refers to G or H load tires in general. Won't buy anything with a manufactured code less than the current year. The price I got as a baseline for comparisons above was for GoodRide Hwys w G load rating. Botos were close, but cheaper. So I'm seriously thinking about tier 3 tires, I guess, with a more likely jump to Toyos, hankooks or yokos. Ain't buying Goodyear or Michelin. Might live to regret it, but, NO.

I've read Michelin, Goodyear and Campers World info. If it don't rattle my teeth out on road, I can prolly live w/ it. I live in one now, and want them to last their rated tread life in a perfect world. Going 'cheap' makes that less likely to happen. I know what I don't know, and as regards RVs, that is not much at this point.
These things have been said in threads I've found back to 2003. I've been in one for 6 months. There has to be a LOT of experience, good and bad out there since 2011. Just trying to elicit it for my own current use. Thanks again.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
I put toyo 19.5's from Les Shwab on my previous motorhome, much better ride that the original goodyears.

Current rig, dealer replaces steers with identical goodyear G670's before I even saw them, on a 2 year old rig with 15k miles, I can only assume severe rivering.
2 years later both outer duals showing severe rivering, I put sumitomo's on.

Not a problem, great ride, and they haven't lost a pound of air to date.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Buy Chinese tires and do not worry about it.

TexasJorge wrote:
I'm not broke, but I AM cheap,
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Number One buy a tire that you can afford to buy and do your research before buying! What I mean by that is know your DOT date codes, search for tire reviews like Consumer Reports, do you want to purchase a RV tire or a truck tire? Do you want a soft rubber tire or a hard rubber tire? Buy a tire with a high sidewall rating! And most of all go to Michelin Tires Website and read about Quality Tire Care and Maintenance and practice there techniques for maximum tire wear. Good Luck in whatever you choose to buy!

doubleG
Explorer
Explorer
Mich FMCA nat discount, buy in state with no sales tax...........smooth ride. China tires I am to understand don't have the mfg quality standards that US tires have. Mich's made in NC/SC?

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am buying Samson 8R/19.5 on EBAY Made in Mexico. I am well pleased with them. I ordered from Chicago Tire on Ebay. They asked $205 each I offered $187.00 each. That is a delivered to my door price. Date code on the latest two is 1014. Bill me later has a six month no interest promo right now as well.

MY local shop charges $30.00 each to mount and balance.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

past-MIdirector
Explorer
Explorer
I'm planning on changing my rear 4 tires 19.5 and want to up grade to an H range from G. The only two companies I've found with H for RV's are from China. I have run China Double Coin on the rear of my last motor home for several years with great success.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Also, just fyi, this forum seems to have a pronounced "anti made in China" bias which seems to have decreased in recent months. Whether that indicates any improvement in quality, or those posters are regrouping, who knows. I do believe people unhappy with performance tend to post, while those who are pleased tend not to. Fwiw.

And btw, welcome to the forum!
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V, just put 6 new Toyo's on by Les Schwab, total cost 2318.00. Replaced the original (I think, based on the date codes on the tires) Goodyears. Did a roundtrip Seattle to LA, Toyo's worked just fine.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

TexasJorge
Explorer
Explorer
You are right, of course, brirene. I'm trying NOT to replow worn out soil. I've read thru most I can find and swagg'd price percentage add ons to get a crrnt market price guesstimate. I haven't moved yet, but am going to have to do something b4 I do. From what I get so far -- subject to corrections-- is that for 245 70 by 19.5s-- on average 14 plys --botos appear to be the entry level China truck tire. They seem to have entered the US market after 2005. I read A LOT of cat calls on this particular example. That's to be expected on ANY new product entering a large, established market, and they appear to have had their attendant teething/birthing pains. Not saying this is where I may go, but essentially, to establish a CURRENT baseline price per unit for comparison purposes, HERE is south Texas oil country, mounted and balanced price per unit is $178 per. Sailuns are available as well as others--and I proceed up the list thru Hankooks, Toyos, Goodyear R670s and Michelins. With all the commercial trucks around here, there aint much else. I guess I'm looking for this kind of info for the last 18-20 months or so b4 I roll the dice and pays my money.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
TexasJorge wrote:

The latest entry on this one appears to be 09/2011. That was four years ago.

:h Ummm, not really. There might be some useful info in a post/thread of that vintage. I get what you're saying, but that might be more current in "tire years" than you're giving credit for.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard