cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DEF at bulk pumps

Don8ch
Explorer
Explorer
One of these days I'm going to have to fill my DEF tank and hope to do so at a truck stop, such as FlyingJ to substantially reduce the cost from the 1 or 2.5 gallon prices. As with most Class A rigs my DEF tank is on the right-hand side behind the wheels. It seems most owners mention going into the diesel island counter flow to get the DEF pump on the proper side. Is the fill hose on the DEF pump not long enough to reach around the pump and fill in the adjacent lane? In other words, if I fill with diesel fuel and close that transaction can I not pull the rig forward and use the DEF pump from the island on the right to fill the DEF tank? That would likely irritate the truckers MUCH less than going into the lane from the wrong direction.
Don

2014 Newmar Ventana 4037
2016 GMC Canyon SLT Crew cab, long box

12 REPLIES 12

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Don.....So far adding DEF hasn't been a big issue, but I like to be prepared. Surprisingly, I have yet to see a DEF pump in Southern California. During our west coast trips (only have had a DEF coach for six months) I've only seen DEF at one pump.

Just to be prepared, I bought a 2.5 gallon container that is designed for DEF and comes with a long spout. I leave the empty container in my bay and will use it if I find DEF at the pumps and need it. I bought the container from this company. They have great info on their site and they're working on a small container with a metal collar. (Some pumps won't distribute DEF unless they sense a metal collar).

Lastly, I buy my DEF from the local auto parts store or Walmart. Just be careful with Walmart, so far, out of about 10 boxes, I have come across one that was opened and the seal was missing. It's easy for a low life to use the DEF, fill it with water and return for a refund!
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

algolfer
Explorer
Explorer
I have only run into the magnetic collars at Love's Fuel stations. I have never run into them at Flying J's or other truck stops. I understand that you can go into the counter and borrow a device that will let you use the Love's magnetic collar on non metal containers. However, I have never tried the device.

Don8ch
Explorer
Explorer
bluwtr49 wrote:
Just a thought if you are truly concerned about the cost of DEF. Just make it yourself. Just by some bulk Urea and distilled water. Than mix it to the correct proportion and viola, instant DEF.

You must have missed my smiley wink ;). My main objective is simplicity and I would prefer not to be carrying extra containers with liquid in my cargo bays. I never felt compelled to make bio-diesel out of french fry oil nor do I feel compelled to make DEF in my bathtub.
Don

2014 Newmar Ventana 4037

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a thought if you are truly concerned about the cost of DEF. Just make it yourself. Just by some bulk Urea and distilled water. Than mix it to the correct proportion and viola, instant DEF.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don8ch wrote:
lryrob9301 wrote:
You definitely DO NOT want to enter the trucker's diesel lanes from the wrong direction. They will block you in and make you back out of the lanes. What you need to do is go to Tractor Supply or some such and purchase a 5 gallon blue plastic kerosene container. Then when you are in the lane getting fuel you can put 2 or 3 gallons of DEF in the container to add to your tank later. Your idea of using the DEF hose from the lane next to you MIGHT work, I've done it, as long as the DEF hose is long enough, most are NOT, especially Flying J/ Pilot.

I use the 5 gallon container, usually buying 3 gallons at a time and add to the DEF tank when parked. After 3 or 4 diesel purchases the DEF tank is full.

Thanks. I've heard something about a metal collar being required so the DEF pump will operate. Does this TSC container have this so the magnetic sensor on the pump will work? (I definitely agree about not entering the wrong way.)
Don

I have yet to find a DEF pump that required the use of a magnetic collar. What I do is carry a couple 1 gallon DEF containers and refill them at the pump as needed. The 1 gallon containers store easily in one of my bins that I keep oil,filters,belts,etc.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

aarondeere
Explorer
Explorer
Don8ch wrote:
rr2254545 wrote:
As a retired accountant I find it strange that so much focus is on the cost of DEF

In the past 3143 miles I have spent just over $60 for 4 2 1/2 gal containers.

This is just under 2 cents a mile

I will focus on getting better mileage not on my DEF use

I am also a retired accountant therefore I focus on all costs. 😉

Actually I'm just trying to keep life simple, like retirement is supposed to be, plus I'm trying to plan, in advance, for complications that are inevitably going to arise.

Thanks,
Don

I agree. If it is either too stressful or too much of a pain just get the small jugs and pay the higher cost. Considering all the other costs of using a mh, this cost is a drop in the bucket. My semi and one farm tractor uses it. Semi is very little usage. Now the tractor is a different story. I buy it in 55 gallon drums and so far have used 3 drums this yr for the tractor. It is a heavy user of def. Unless your putting large amounts of miles on your mh it won't be much more to just buy the 2.5 containers.
Aaron
2010 Dodge 3500
2012 Voltage 3600 Epic

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I'm a retired Accountant too. Send money. I need DEF.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Don8ch
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
You definitely DO NOT want to enter the trucker's diesel lanes from the wrong direction. They will block you in and make you back out of the lanes. What you need to do is go to Tractor Supply or some such and purchase a 5 gallon blue plastic kerosene container. Then when you are in the lane getting fuel you can put 2 or 3 gallons of DEF in the container to add to your tank later. Your idea of using the DEF hose from the lane next to you MIGHT work, I've done it, as long as the DEF hose is long enough, most are NOT, especially Flying J/ Pilot.

I use the 5 gallon container, usually buying 3 gallons at a time and add to the DEF tank when parked. After 3 or 4 diesel purchases the DEF tank is full.

Thanks. I've heard something about a metal collar being required so the DEF pump will operate. Does this TSC container have this so the magnetic sensor on the pump will work? (I definitely agree about not entering the wrong way.)
Don

2014 Newmar Ventana 4037

Don8ch
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
As a retired accountant I find it strange that so much focus is on the cost of DEF

I am also a retired accountant therefore I focus on all costs. 😉

Actually I'm just trying to keep life simple, like retirement is supposed to be, plus I'm trying to plan, in advance, for complications that are inevitably going to arise.

Thanks,
Don

2014 Newmar Ventana 4037

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Iryrob9301, that sounds like the most sensible way to do it and not cause delay at the pumps for other people. And, you can get the best price as the OP wants to do.

Our coach will have the DEF and Fuel filler together around mid coach on the driver's side. Originally on previous Prevost models, the DEF was located at the passenger rear and Prevost moved it to the driver's side. Since DEF is not required at every fill up, your procedure sounds good for those with the DEF filler located on the passenger side.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer