cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

definition for isl etc on diesel engines

bumpus4
Explorer
Explorer
Could some one please spell out to me what all the different terms on diesel engines stand for. ie; isl, etc. I know this is showing my stupidity but if I don't ask ------.

My current engine is a max force 350hp. That's all the manuals say about it.

Sorry to bend your ear but I am clueless.

bumpus4
6 REPLIES 6

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
In your 13 HR, as you called it, is how you should consider it. It is a MaxxForce.

MaxxForce is made by Navistar, which is often thought of as old International.

Here is a wiki on MaxxForce, and look for one on Navistar, to see the history on Navistar and how they relate to International.

You have a Navistar Maxxforce engine.

Best,
Smitty

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
bumpus4 wrote:
Thanks to all for your fast reply. I think I understand it a little bit better now.

to FormerBoater: Sould I consider the engine
in my '13 HR to be manf. by Cummins or Detroit Diesel. Just wondering.

Regards, bumpus4

Navistar/International
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

bumpus4
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your fast reply. I think I understand it a little bit better now.

to FormerBoater: Sould I consider the engine
in my '13 HR to be manf. by Cummins or Detroit Diesel. Just wondering.

Regards, bumpus4

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
Engine Series

IS = Interact System (i.e. ISX, ISB)
Q/QS = Signifies that an industrial engine is electronically controlled. QS stands for QUANTUM SYSTEM CONTROLS
B = B series engine line, includes 3.3 , 3.9, 4.5 and 5.9 liter engines. Offered in both fully mechanical and electronic models. 5.9 liter engine is available in both industrial and automotive versions.
C = C series engine line, includes only 8.3 liter engines. Offered in both fully mechanical and electronic models, industrial and automotive versions available.
E = On older engine models this meant the engine was electronic. EXAMPLE: K2000E
K = K series engine line, includes 19, 23, 38, 45, 50 and 60 liter engine models.
L = L series engine line, includes older 10 liter and current 9 liter engine models. Industrial and automotive versions available.
M = M series engine line, includes M11, 11liter engines only. Industrial and automotive versions available.
N = N series engine line, no longer being produced for U.S. market. Included NTA855 and N14 engine series. Industrial and automotive versions available.
T = T series engine line such as the QST30.
X = X series engine line, includes 15 liter engines only. Industrial and automotive versions available.
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
I can only help with Cummins designations for their engines.

Mechanical engines were always designated by block size..B5.9, C8.3 etc. The numeric designation was displacement in liters.

Electronic controlled engines with 4 valves per cylinder (vs. 2 valves in the mechanical engines) were the successors to the mechanical engines. ISB, ISC, etc.

The first ISB's were ISB5.9...now the displacement is 6.7 liters hence the new coaches with the ISB6.7 engines.

Many new buyers of DP's only pay attention to H.P. ratings...but it is displacement that determines torque and is equally if not more important than H.P.

One other note, Cummins manufactures these engines with different H.P. ratings for different applications.

Hopefully others with chime in, but currently only Cummins and Detroit Diesel are supplying engines for the US DP motorhome market.
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins isl
MaxxForce
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU