cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel Winter Maintenance

USMC46
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Dutch Star 41 with a Cummins ISL 370. It is in covered storage in Missoula hooked to a float charger. My question is this. In the past, I have started the coach up every week or two weeks and let it run for a few minutes, and did the same with the diesel generator, Onan 7500. I do this even in the coldest of the winter months here in Montana. Is it good to do this, or should I just let the engine and generator rest through the winter and not start them up ? I have heard I should and I should not. Advice appreciated.
Jim & Carmel

2016 Escape 17b
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk With Factory Tow Package
13 REPLIES 13

USMC46
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all very much. I will take the majority advice and let it set. Can't really drive it this winter due to recovery from serious shoulder surgery. Thanks again.
Jim & Carmel

2016 Escape 17b

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Either let it sit or start it up and drive it hard under load. Letting it run for a few minutes is the worst thing you can do.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
everyone is so worried about the engines when the oil hubs are the ones that suffer more then the engines will during non use

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Agree with others. You aren't doing the diesel any good unless you drive it enough to warm it up, which is the best thing you can do for it.
Your biggest probelm will be the air brakes locking up on you after sitting a long time.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Idling for a few minutes is the absolute worst on any motor. All your doing is creating moisture thru condensation. This turns into acid, which eventually does inrepairable damage. Your much better leaving it sit all winter. Better yet, go drive it for a hour at highway speeds to get everything good and hot.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I don't really need to do this as the majority of the advice above is good, but I feel it will not hurt to have it reinforced by someone that was/is an engine professional.....

NOTHING GOOD HAPPENS WHEN AN ENGINE IS IDLED.

Diesels don't mind sitting at all.

Carburetor engines only have trouble because of fuel left in the carburetor. If you deal with that by draining or running it dry, then that is not a problem.

The people that advise that you periodically run an engine or genset, are the same people that sell parts......

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cold weather start ups are hard on engines. If they don't reach operating temperture then you are adding moisture to the exhaust sytem. Best to let them sit.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I go the other way. I start my diesels every month in the winter and let them warm up (until the temperature gauge is mid point which is usually a half hour. 3 farm tractors, and pickup truck.

I also add Power Service in the fall and a splash of biocide. Been down the algae road, it's expensive to eliminate.

Always did that with the big trucks (Road Tractors) that sat in the lot at the yard where I was employed.

I don't keep them on a Battery Tender either, I just isolate the batteries via a disconnect switch on each unit.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't run the engine unless you can drive it for at least 30 minutes. This allows the oil temperature to rise to the point where the moisture will evaporate. This won't happen at idle or even fast idle.

Run the genny once a month under load for 20-30 minutes to heat up the oil and dry out the windings.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
diesels can sit for a year or more ,without doing anything to them. put good batteries in them and they fire right up. just think of all the farmers who leave there diesels sit from fall to spring. keep the battries on a trickle charge and let it sleep till spring.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't bother with it.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

USMC46
Explorer
Explorer
Bill

Missoula averages in the months that concern me.

High Lo
January 34ยฐ / 19ยฐ

February 40ยฐ / 23ยฐ

March 49ยฐ / 28ยฐ
Jim & Carmel

2016 Escape 17b

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I leave mine sit in the cold weather - but you didn't really define what you're calling cold weather. Cold weather starting can be hard on things if they've been sitting. And only running it for a few minutes isn't doing either the engine or generator any good to heat them up and drive out any moisture.

Cold weather is generally dry and doesn't hurt anything. I do start mine and run it for an hour in rainy wet weather.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.