cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**** Dip Stick

w3ozwizard
Explorer
Explorer
Ok Folks I have just about had it with that long snake engine oil dip stick on my V-10 Ford 6.8 engine. It is very long and has many twists in it. Why??? I do not know. Anyway I have been changing and checking my oil in the past year I have had the MH. When I pull the dip stick out, it seems there is oil on it about half way up. I really can't tell where the oil stops on the stupid stick. There are two holes on the end of the stick and I am assuming that as long as there is oil in them I am find. Today I changed my oil and filter. Put in 6 quarts of oil with the filter. I checked the oil and again I just could not tell where the oil line ends on the stick. Anyone else have this problem and can tell me how to read the stick. I have never had a car or truck that had a mickey mouse stick for checking Oil like this one does.
2009 Four Winds Majestic 28A
16 REPLIES 16

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't tell you how to read the dip stick, but I might know where the oil is coming from half up? IF, and that's the big IF here, you pull your dip stick out, wipe the end of it off and then put it back down to read the oil, it's possible that from pulling the dip stick out the first time, the oil on the end of the stick is rubbing / coming off someplace half way up the tube as it makes contact with the dip stick tube.

Then when you reinsert the dip stick for your reading, it's contacting the oil that rubbed off the first time you withdrew the dip stick. If this is the case, only pull your dip stick out once and read it. Don't wipe it off and then stick it back in for the reading. This method won't work if you've shut the engine off from splashing oil all around in the last 30 minutes, but let it sit overnight or several hours and it should work just fine.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
You are preaching to the choir. They have to be able to design something better.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"