cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers license requirements going state to state

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
When we lived in Texas, I had a Class B drivers license because my RV weighs more than 26,000 pounds. That required passing a written test and a driving test.

When we moved to another state, they did not require or offer a similar license for driving our personal Motorhome because in this state, personal Motorhomes are exempt from the requirements for driving commercial vehicles.

We plan to return to Texas for a wedding, and will be traveling in our RV.

Am I legal driving our Motorhome in Texas with my home state license, or does Texas require me to have the Class B license again even though it's not available to me in my current state of residence unless I go through the entire commercial drivers license test, physical exam, etc?

Where would I find this information in the Texas motor vehicle code?

44 REPLIES 44

Playtime_II
Explorer
Explorer
Your profile doesnt shown your rig other than your comment of over 26k. Anyhow, you do need to be aware of length/weight/towing laws in each state you travel through.

In several states on the East coast, I am too long and too wide for secondary routes. There is a loophole that I can get off the Interstate and stop for fuel, food etc. and still be legal.

In VA, I had a CDL-B,Air Brakes for work and fines/points are higher for CDL holders even when deiving just a car.
Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
Thunder Mountain wrote:
The Drivers License is kind of like your marriage license. If you are legal in your state you are legal in the rest. But you need to pay attention to speed, length, weight restrictions, etc.

Not to muddy the water, but I think there were some issues with same gender marriage licenses having validity in states that didn't acknowledge the union itself. At least it used to be, but maybe things have changed. I don't pay much attention.

the person simply asked a simple question about a drivers license for gawds sake

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Thunder Mountain wrote:
The Drivers License is kind of like your marriage license. If you are legal in your state you are legal in the rest. But you need to pay attention to speed, length, weight restrictions, etc.

Not to muddy the water, but I think there were some issues with same gender marriage licenses having validity in states that didn't acknowledge the union itself. At least it used to be, but maybe things have changed. I don't pay much attention.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
In 37 years in Texas as a Motorhome Service Tech, I have never heard or had a customer get a ticket with just a standard Drivers License. Even when driving over 26k motorhomes. Doug

Regardless, RVers of heavier rigs should follow the laws for their state of residence. Get in an accident, regardless of fault, without the proper license and the outcome will likely be negative. You may get a ticket, insurance may not pay or may even be cancelled.

A TX class B exempt is just too easy to get to risk it. Plus, you LEARN some things!
Roaming Full Timer

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
Your driver's license does not have to be from the state that your motorhome/RV is licensed in.

My Dad had homes in 2 states but he was legally only allowed to have a driver's license in ONE state. He also had an RV in one of those states. His driver's license was from the other state where he resided part of the year. So his RV was licensed in one state and he was licensed to drive in another.

Also, I know numerous Canadians that have an RV licensed in FL and it never leaves FL, but they have a Canadian driver's license.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
Thank y'all for the good news 🙂

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just to keep from raising any red flags with the Law Enforcement folks I always keep my DL and my Vehicle tags and Insurance etc all with the same issue state.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
In 37 years in Texas as a Motorhome Service Tech, I have never heard or had a customer get a ticket with just a standard Drivers License. Even when driving over 26k motorhomes. Doug

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Google search... reciprocity of driver's license. Cannot post a link because the link has a percent sign in it.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Popsie wrote:
When we lived in Texas, I had a Class B drivers license because my RV weighs more than 26,000 pounds. That required passing a written test and a driving test.

When we moved to another state, they did not require or offer a similar license for driving our personal Motorhome because in this state, personal Motorhomes are exempt from the requirements for driving commercial vehicles.

We plan to return to Texas for a wedding, and will be traveling in our RV.

Am I legal driving our Motorhome in Texas with my home state license, or does Texas require me to have the Class B license again even though it's not available to me in my current state of residence unless I go through the entire commercial drivers license test, physical exam, etc?

Where would I find this information in the Texas motor vehicle code?

You simply use the DL issued to u in the state u live in.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Valid DLs issued to you in your state of residency is GOOD in every state in USA

'Don't need no sticking papers'.....YET!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Based on home state requirements.
2013 ACE 29.2

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
I assume the MH is also licensed in your new home state? If so, you are legal to drive it in any state and Canada, Mexico. Only thing you need to worry about are speed laws.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
As long as your license is good to use in your home state that issued your license, then it's good in any other state. Canada will honor it also.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.