cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DSI Fault light

JANETRUPP
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2005 Monaco Diplomat and I have noticed that our DSI fault light has been on. We are hooked up to electric and the hot water heater is turned on with electric only. We have hot water...very hot. Does anyone know why this light is on and if it is a major problem and if it suppose to be on or not.

Thanks in advance
Janet
Loving our life. Life is too short to complain,go live it to the fullest
Coachmen Concord 2018 Class C with 2 slides
2012 Equinox tow
8 REPLIES 8

JANETRUPP
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. I did get it to turn off. I turned all hot water off overnight. In the morning I turned on the propane toggle to see if it lights. I did, I turned it off and turned on the electric toggle switch. Light went out and so far so good. Thanks again for all the information.
Don't know what was wrong but apparently it is okay for now.

Janet
2012 Equinox tow

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP...........

Which water heater do you have?

Atwood changed in 2004 to common circuit board controls
Fault light comes on whenever ECO operates (plus if LP fails to light)
ECO is self resetting
OP has hot....VERY HOT water
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:
The reason the Fault light is lit while on electric is because the ECO (high temp T-stat) has OPENED.
That is why water temp is very HOT
Normal t-stat is not opening shutting down water heater and the ECO is having to shut it down.

You have a Atwood
Normal t-stat pre-set for 140*F and ECO is pre-set for 180*F
ECO Opens causing Fault light and it auto resets when temp drops below 150*F

The normal t-stat may be loose and therefore not sensing tank temp properly. Has to be TIGHT against tank wall and tank wall needs to be clean surface

Just buy new set...Normal & ECO come as set on a card.
You can just replace normal and keep the extra ECO as spare.

(If it was a Suburban and the High temp t-stat had OPENED ----you would have to manually reset it before it would reheat)

Fault Light:
IF propane fails to light off and prove main flame
ECO Opens whether on gas or electric

IF the ECO has tripped that means the unit is in lock out and will have NO hot production. She did NOT state it was TOO Hot, just she had hot water. Monaco does have 2 switches. LP and 120 . On Monaco her year, the ONLY fault will be the LP fail to light indicator. NOT an ECO Fault light. Most Monaco's in her year had a separate 120 switch usually in the Bath area. Doug

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
The reason the Fault light is lit while on electric is because the ECO (high temp T-stat) has OPENED.
That is why water temp is very HOT
Normal t-stat is not opening shutting down water heater and the ECO is having to shut it down.

You have a Atwood
Normal t-stat pre-set for 140*F and ECO is pre-set for 180*F
ECO Opens causing Fault light and it auto resets when temp drops below 150*F

The normal t-stat may be loose and therefore not sensing tank temp properly. Has to be TIGHT against tank wall and tank wall needs to be clean surface

Just buy new set...Normal & ECO come as set on a card.
You can just replace normal and keep the extra ECO as spare.

(If it was a Suburban and the High temp t-stat had OPENED ----you would have to manually reset it before it would reheat)

Fault Light:
IF propane fails to light off and prove main flame
ECO Opens whether on gas or electric
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

codelld
Explorer
Explorer
The circuit board that controls the heater is accessible behind the door on the front of the heater. There is a connector on the board which is easily removed and it gets dirty. Carefully remove the connector and then reconnect it. Some times corrosion will cause the DSI light to happen.
PS I am presently camped in Fort Mohave behind the CVS pharmacy.
Dennis Codella
'07 HR Endeavor 40PDQ

JANETRUPP
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply, but I do not have the gas toggle switch on. I only have the electric toggle switch on and we do have hot water. If there is a problem in igniting how can I have hot water? Sorry but I am so confused. :?

Janet
2012 Equinox tow

rwynkoop
Explorer
Explorer
DSI light for hot water means, hot water heater tried to light, but did not detect a flame.

My hot water heater gets this error all the time. I usually have to flip the hot-water gas switch off then on to reset.

In your case, since you are using electric. Just turn the gas burner switch off. Could be gas is turned off or the lines not bled of air is the source of your DSI light being on.

Robert Wynkoop
2003 Chevy 1500 HD Crew 4x4, 6.0L gas.
2007 Jayco 29BHS TT.

Moved from Forum Technical Support