cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F53 E4OD VSS Issue

YZF571
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All, I am having an issue with my 1996 Pace Arrow Motorhome. It sits on an F53 chassis, has a V-8 460, with the E4OD trans with the E-Brake housing on the back of the trans. The condensed version of my problem is this, thanks to a member on another forum (Thanks SubFord) I have traced my problem down to the VSS driven gear, it appears to be a black 20 tooth gear, it was badly damaged, and was melted up and such. Since I have procured the black 20 tooth gear, however it looks like photo's I have seen of the black 20 tooth from a manual trans, while it has basically the same dimensions, the shank where the retaining clip goes on appears to be a bit different. I have been told by many different sources in the transmission industry (if you will) many different things. I have been told that the 20 tooth gear I need is orange, I have been told that the drive gear I need is metal and is actually the output shaft itself, I have been told that it is (the drive gear) green in color and plastic? While searching for info on this late last night I ran across some activity reference this very issue by some of the RV.NET members. Unfortunately I am not able to duplicate my efforts and cannot recall who specifically was having these issues. Any help or in sight would be greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone know if this is a do it yourself type job, or better left in the hands of the shops. I am fairly inclined, I do most of my repairs myself, I do not have a press, or a large bearing puller. Thanks again.
6 REPLIES 6

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
If the service shop don't want to get inside your ZF emergency brake assy., the link I posted also has rebuilt units for a lot less then new ones from Ford. A few years ago, Ford wanted $1500.00 for a new unit. I expect it's much higher today.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

YZF571
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the assistance, much appreciated. Not sure why the gear got hot and melted, haven't been that far in to it yet. Although the black driven gear did have green plastic on it so it is probably destroyed. I have an apointment at RUSH Truck repair in OKC, they are a Ford large truck repair facility so we'll see. I wish I dared to drop the driveshaft and rip into it myself. I called and made the apointment with RUSH right after my first post as I need the RV for a trip in a couple of weeks and these things have a way going on and on and on! Thanks all!

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it should be black and have 20 teeth. Did the gear melt because the 4 Oz. of ATF was allowed to get low? If so, the green plastic drive gear on the main shaft might be destroyed too. I've seen it happen.

Here is a good source for ZF emergency brake parts.
Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
Give this online Ford site a try for your part. You can either enter the VIN number or search by make and model. They have exploded views of just about every component.

http://www.fordparts.com/Default.aspx?gnav=nav:home

Ford Parts
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

Skylark
Explorer
Explorer
Call Bryan's truck shop in Arkansas, he is the expert on ford transmissions. Sky

301TBS
Explorer
Explorer
IIRC, the color relates to the # of teeth. As for a metal gear, I personally dont remember the E4's having one, I may be wrong.
If the gear melted, you may want
to check the cable for free movement if there is one.
A good Ford parts person should be able to help you.
Good luck
2019 Springdale 240BH
2009 F150 Scab 4x4, 4.6, 3v. 6spd. 3.73/9.75
Reese dual cam