cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First drive mpg

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not one to check mpg but sence we just got this new to us coach I figured we would see what she got. Usually I'm a fill as needed and go guy. I'm not shure what she weighs all of my storage compartments are full of boxes of clothes,dishes,silverware and junk that I'm brining home for my mother in law. All highway driving with about 20 miles of in town. Ran the dash a/c the whole time no toad.This was from florida to Richmond Va so kinda flat 750miles. Cruise was set at 63 for the entire trip we managed to get 9.884 mpg.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU
12 REPLIES 12

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
I really wish I had a magic RV that got the mpg that some claim. 26,000 miles with every tank logged. My best tanks were mid 7mpg, but my average overall is 6.374. This takes into account all the not really full and the tailwinds, towing and not towing. Now I am not saying that mpg in excess of 8 is not possible, but I've not seen it and I have tried just about everything. No to, 55-60, 60-65, 65+ warm weather, cold weather. About the only thing I have seen make a real difference is the few times I got 'REAL' gas w/o Ethanol,
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Our coach has the Aladdin system that keeps up with a total running average of fuel mileage. Last check was 7.8 mpg over 69,700 miles. Last weigh-in we were at 40,039 lbs.

Since our coach was new, I have kept every receipt and have figured the mileage manually per tank also noting the Aqua-Hot and Generator usage. One day I will sit down for the fun of it and figure my fuel mileage and to see how much we spent on fuel over the 7.5 yrs. of ownership. I also have every receipt of every repair and service done.

I do remember once we got 4.5 mpg on one tank which included a lot of mountain driving (99% of the time we have pulled our toad). Another time, I remember 9.9 mpg on a very flat long run with the wind pushing us. The wind is our friend along with a raw egg under our foot between your shoe and fuel pedal. LOL!

Have fun with your new motorhome!
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The main thing was that you got back home with no problems. Now you can start enjoying the coach and just fill the tank when it needs fuel. The mileage becomes less of an issue when you are enjoying the adventures of your travels. Congrats on a successful purchase and trip.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Ok home now. Made a stop in Intercourse Pa. Amish country for a couple of days. For this part of the mpg test we had dash a/c on 90% of the time no generator no toad and were only able to use the cruise controll maybe 20% of the time. We had a couple of hours of stop and go traffic in the Va and Ny areas and leaving Pa we took a senic route that was 40 miles of rolling twisting road with awesome views. We got 8.884 mpg. I will only check mpg one more time when we pull the wrangler to see what that does.
2015 Wrangler JKU

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
That was us.
2015 Wrangler JKU

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Mike, where in Richmond are/were you? We are at Americamps in Ashland and I just saw what I thought was a late 90's CC pull out of the RV park. There was no toad. Was that you?
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I have one more 10 hour leg of drive left. I'm gonna check mpg one more time. Then after we get home and take a trip with the toad I'll see what that does.
2015 Wrangler JKU

mci7
Explorer
Explorer
The best thing about the fuel mileage is talking with others while fueling. Most have a good idea of their mileage but you can hear some amazing boasting stories from impossible setups. Guess we all love humor.
Dave M
Dave M
Central Virginia
Had MCI Conversion 20+ yrs
Presently 2001 Foretravel w/ISM500
Usual Toad 2004 F150 Ford w/Can Am 800 Max

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
We left fl at 5am and had both a/cs running all night and kept all of the shades down. The dash a/c seems to work pretty good. My book says its 16,960 btu of cooling. We also have over the road air for the bedroom that we didn't use.
2015 Wrangler JKU

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like it passed the test. Hope you have good luck with it. You didn't need the genset and house A/C's running in Fla to cool the MH?

Bucky1320
Explorer
Explorer
That's a good long test. I would say that is pretty good. Tail wind downhill? I would take that any day!
1999 Harney Renegade
Mostly used for overnights at the drag strip.

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
Flat land is always kind to fuel mileage. ๐Ÿ™‚

But that is a great result.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC