cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Florida sunshine

reddfox77
Explorer
Explorer
So now that I have gotten advise from the experts on how to travel from ohio to florida in december and not have pipes freezing...I need to know where to camp, dump & fill up...Looking for beach front parking...wild life preserves would be great away from the party people...just an ocean breeze and quite times...This is our first trip south and Im hoping that you great people can help me out...Thanks so much
28 REPLIES 28

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Tucson is great....and so is most anything around Phoenix. For the winter. Otherwise....TOOO hot.
Yuma is great too! If you need dental work, Yuma is close to Algodones, Mexico. 3 cavities, 1 cap and a root canal: US$1200. That was 4 years ago...and all's well.
I do wish that AZ was closer to NJ.

jschlegel48
Explorer
Explorer
I just can't resist ....

I left Ohio five years back and only return for short visits now ... Soooo happy to get out of that state.

If you want sand and winter warmth with 99% sunny dry days go to Tucson for the winter!!!! Then if you get lonely for cold and snow you can take a short drive up the mountains and play in the snow as long as you like! JMHO! (Now can I take my tongue out of my cheek?):B

Ray_IN
Explorer II
Explorer II
The water is fresh instead of seawater, but I think you will like Larry and Penny Thompson County Park - http://www.miamidade.gov/parks/Parks/larry_penny.asp SW of Miami.
I phoned there yesterday inquiring about an opening for a week while we are enroute to Key West. The man said "we will have plenty of openings, come on down". If I were planning a stay I would make reservations though.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom pushed by a 2013 Chevy Silverado K1500 And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.John F. Kennedy 20Jan1961

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the FL parks have slots open for transients(they want you to try it and come back) and the state parks have drive ins. We stay around Orlando, hot to Jan, 70's Jan and Feb, we had 3 frosts last year. We have paid big bucks and stayed at the beach communities. I don't care for the wind. If you want cheaper the Texas gulf coast is less expensive. We do Texas every 3rd year and stay down in Mission away from the wind. lol Green Grove Carefree park in Dade City FL is offering a Jan $325 a month for first time visitors. Good Luck
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Ft Desoto State park on the gulf is very popular and usually books up a year in advance BUT they have a number of slots that are drive up only. You need to get there early on a Friday to get one for the weekend. If you get one during the week, you still have to walk down to the camp office Friday morning if you want to keep it for the weekend.

Some sites have water views, some don't.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

Mike_M2
Explorer
Explorer
reddfox77 wrote:
powderman426 wrote:
For $100 a night, you must really like water. I tried that over near rock crusher and the bugs wouldn't let up. Now I stay at a nice park in central fla with all amenities for about $25 a night. To each his own, but you should try someplace other that just water front. JMO

Im thinking that also...

Do what i do, spend a few nights expensive, and few cheap. I even mix a few free nights in between places that way the cost isn't as bad and you get a little of everything.
Mike M2
Thor Infinity 33SL

retiredtraveler
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are doing the snow bird thing for the first time this year.
We have reservations for a couple of weeks over Christmas at Rustic Sands in Mexico Beach, Fl. Price is about $22.00/night. It is 1 block from the ocean which is not a big deal since we are bringing our toad. Looks like a fairly quiet place.
I'm sure it will not be balmy, but it surely beats a CT winter. After that we head west along the Gulf coast.
Happy travels.
Keld

antsinmypants
Explorer
Explorer
we live in ohio and we go to punta gorda ever January and febuary its about 5 miles from the beach and just north of fort myers at a very nice park and they allways have room.
Alligator Park, Inc.

941-639-7000 phone

941-575-8913 fax

Email: alligator-reception@comcast.net

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
reddfox77 wrote:
I so hate ohio...you making me really jealous...thanks for the info...Know any places that I can dump for free?
Any of the state parks if your are staying in them.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

reddfox77
Explorer
Explorer
powderman426 wrote:
For $100 a night, you must really like water. I tried that over near rock crusher and the bugs wouldn't let up. Now I stay at a nice park in central fla with all amenities for about $25 a night. To each his own, but you should try someplace other that just water front. JMO

Im thinking that also...

reddfox77
Explorer
Explorer
Richert wrote:
find Frostproof, Florida on your map and draw a line across FLA, you have to be below that line if you want to keep away from frost. Now break out your wallet, the closer to the beach you camp the higher the price, IF you can get a campsite, as soon as you leave the mainland and start to the Keys the price increases on every island that you cross. I have heard over $100 per night in Marathon Key and in Key West. I know that there is a CG in Arcadia that is around $600-700 per month, don't know the nightly rate. If you go north of Frostproof you can find some better rates. Beach front CG's fillup fast and cost more. Good Luck and have fun. BTW it is a little over 80 today here in Tampa area.

I so hate ohio...you making me really jealous...thanks for the info...Know any places that I can dump for free?

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Mike_M2
Explorer
Explorer
Understand that waterfront on Key West means that you are not lounging next to your camper but in front of it. Yea, it's crowded but still worth it.
As for Periwinkle, a neat place but about 2 blocks from the water. Still worth it concidering the water tho, the beaches are quiet.
I prefer Red Coconut in Fort Myers Beach, The spots are tight but a little more than Key West. The advantage there is you are directly ON THE BEACH. A guy places boards out beyond the parking pad and gets you out on the sand under the Palm trees. I just keep my awning down enough that the guy next to me only sees the top of the awning, but it doesn't matter because you will spend all your time in front of the motorhome under the trees looking at the shoreline. A mile walk up the beach to town. Yea, it ain't cheap for beach tho, 100 bucks plus. For this you better book over a year in advance.
Knights Key in Marathon is nice, one of the best beaches in the keys. Lots of nightlife and the snorkelling is as good as it gets. I will be there in May, but even off season you are talking close to 100.
Port Canaveral has a place just off the beach that's ok and cheaper. They have been fixing it up a lot lately. Lots of nightlife, a great beach with only a short walk.
Mike M2
Thor Infinity 33SL

Richert
Explorer
Explorer
find Frostproof, Florida on your map and draw a line across FLA, you have to be below that line if you want to keep away from frost. Now break out your wallet, the closer to the beach you camp the higher the price, IF you can get a campsite, as soon as you leave the mainland and start to the Keys the price increases on every island that you cross. I have heard over $100 per night in Marathon Key and in Key West. I know that there is a CG in Arcadia that is around $600-700 per month, don't know the nightly rate. If you go north of Frostproof you can find some better rates. Beach front CG's fillup fast and cost more. Good Luck and have fun. BTW it is a little over 80 today here in Tampa area.
Blake
2019 Sunseeker
2012 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Wife in passenger seat.