cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full size spare tire for toad

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
While towing my car 4 down i got a flat on the toad and never felt it. The left front tire shredded which allowed me to hear the aluminum wheel rolling on the road surface. It sounded like an alarm clocks bell.
It was pouring rain at 1 AM on an interstate and still 2 hrs from home.

It was too dangerous for me to start rotating the wheels so i could use my compact spare to get the rig off the highway. I would think that compact spare should get mounted on the rear and not the front of a fwd car.

A tow operator towed the car to his shop and let me spend the night in the rv in his yard. He got me me back on the road at 8 AM with a new tire , the wheel survived.

From now on , i plan to carry a full size spare and wheel. It will fit inside the hatchback toad.
Something i should have thought about before. Just something for others to think about.
7 REPLIES 7

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildtoad wrote:
Also suggest, if you have one, to leave the backup camera set to be on all the time, if you have one. Helps to keep a watch on the toad, and helps to know when you are beyond a vehicle you past. I’ve seen folks driving on the donut tire for weeks.

Yes, always thank u. Visual as well as sound ! Everyone’s feedback is much appreciated.

I don't listen to music when towing the toad just in case something does go wrong . I would hopefully hear it before feeling it and that’s what happened here.
In this case, it was at night, raining and heavy truck traffic getting near a large city. A triple whammy !

It was difficult to see any detail behind me. The camera lens was actually partially covered in road spray which blocked rear vision even more.

I reduced my speed to 50 mph or so but the semi’s were pounding along at 70. It gets to a point where , if we drive too slow for conditions, it becomes dangerous . We need to find that sweet spot regarding speed and other traffic.

Normally i would have suspended the return trip home due to the rain but my DW had gotten a flu-like cold and i pushed it thru the bad weather to get her there.
I should have waited because i ended up having to spend the extra night waiting for a new tire out on the road anyway.

Many lessons learned this trip. We are never too old or experienced to learn or be reminded of the safe thing that should have been done. It was an experience that turned out to be ok. DW is feeling good too. Mama’s back ! 🙂

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also suggest, if you have one, to leave the backup camera set to be on all the time, if you have one. Helps to keep a watch on the toad, and helps to know when you are beyond a vehicle you past. I’ve seen folks driving on the donut tire for weeks.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:
Did you have a TPMS on the toad?

No. Looking into that now. Any suggestions are welcome. :C

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did you have a TPMS on the toad?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Opnspaces, ok tnx for that info.
I was not sure about the compact spare in conjunction with fwd.

Yes, the compact spare does work most of the time. Most flats probably occur close enough to home to be able to use within the mileage range suggested, 50-70 mi. It will remain in place to use but when towing , i was thinking about adding a full spare to be able to drive further if needed. To expand the suggested 50-70 mile range. I can fit the full tire in the car.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Advantage jeep. always carry a spare, rotated 5 around.. 🙂
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I dislike temporary spare tires but they do serve a purpose.

The temporary spare though will work fine on all four corners of the vehicle. There is no need to rotate tires around on the side of the road in order to install the temporary spare on the rear only.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup