cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas pump keeps clicking off and slowly fills gas tank

dennygene
Explorer
Explorer
I need some advice on what to look for in my 1997 Fleetwood Flair just recently when I get gas the pump keeps kicking off and I have to put fuel in very slowly. I have taken the Vapor Canister off and still no change. Vents are open and no kinks in the lines.
Thanks Dennis
12 REPLIES 12

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Check the RUBBER hose from your filler port to the steel fuel tank for kinks or interior deterioration. They do go bad and especially after 20 years.

had the same problem on my national dolphin, as mentioned mine had a little short rubber hose that had gotten a sag in it, replaced it, problem solved. if you are not careful you will get a face full of gas when you take it off. a friend told me that.LOL

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›

Explorer II
Explorer II
DW Ford Edge does that at a certain local gas station. I concluded it's pumping it too fast for the system to stay up with. Turning it to 4 o'clock does help. I experience this at only one gas station and it's consistent.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our rig sometimes does that. It seems to be more likely to do so after being on the road for sometime (6+ hours, summertime). So I always wondered if it was related to the gas in the tank being hot and the vapor pressure being high. The issue usually seems to resolve itself after I can get about 15 gallons or so into the tank, which I figured cooled the fuel down a bit. Seeing as the slow fill issue doesn't happen too often, it makes it a bit more puzzling and difficult to figure out what's going on. (I've EVEN been tempted to blame this dang "ethanol" gas they force us to use as being the culprit, though I doubt that it has anything to do with it. Though....I don't remember ever having this issue back in the early days we had the motorhome, before 10% ethanol was required.)

That said, I HAVE found at times, as others above have pointed out, that rotating the fill handle can often solve the problem and filling resumes as normal. I don't know if this is because it allows better venting out the fill pipe, or if the gas "sloshes" differently down the fill pipe, but it seems to work. I keep telling myself that "one of these days" I'm going to see if I can figure it out. I have looked at the filler area and don't see anything obviously wrong. But....one of these days....LOL

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had the same issue on a gasser we had a few years ago. I ended up raising the rear of the MH with the jacks when filling the tank. Worked OK when doing that.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,like you sometimes have a problem with filling my tank on my Class C. Everything checks out OK but I have found that if I hold the nozzle at a 45 degree toward the rear of the Motorhome I have no problems.

I also have the same problem on my GMC Yukon the trick also works on it too.

I have also found that some stations it can be a problem,Example,the older Sams Club here I have a problem but at our New Costco not so much.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
I had that develop a few years back. My fix was to keep the gas nozzle at the 8 o'clock position as the 5,6,7 always caused it to shut off. Never did try to figure out why as it's now just routine to insert the nozzle slanted.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had the same problem on one of my motorhomes. I tried to inserting the gas pump handle about 3/4 way into the fill line. Worked for me.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on the vent and fill line. Our 99 had the same issue. I replace both lines. The filler line was way too long and sagging. Same as the vent. Replace them both with a better fuel hose. It helps, but the issue was still there, not as bad. As stated, the tank is the issue.

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
When we had our gas rig we had the same problem.
I noticed it would fill pretty well until it got to about 1/2 full then it would start what you described, cutting off and get really really slow.
What I found was that the fill pipe did not enter the top of the tank instead it entered the side at approx 1/2 full level. I decided that when the gas in the tank covered the fill pipe the gas entering after that had to lift the gas in the tank resulting in a slow fill
Sorry, I never did come up with a fix I just lived with it.

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check the routing of the vent line; if it has drooped lower than the larger fill line, it will fill with fuel and stop "venting". When that happens it will do as you are describing.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is a very common problem... as the poster above said look at the filler tube. No look (if you can) at the one on your car.. I can't do a decent job of ASCII Drawing but

car
\
\
. Tank
Motor home
----_______ tANK
Much longer tube and not much "slope" the result is if you have a lock on pump even the 1st stop may be too fast.

A piece of wood like quarter inch. Cut in stair steps.. You may find a position that works.

ALso if you can tilt the RV away from the pump
And if you have dual fill (Drivers and passenger side) open both gas caps (don't forget to replace both)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check the RUBBER hose from your filler port to the steel fuel tank for kinks or interior deterioration. They do go bad and especially after 20 years.