cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Genset (2016 Tiffin RED PA37) won't start.

Squealers
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked up a new to us Tiffin yesterday. Check out went well. Genset fired up with ease. Drove 7 hours today. Pull into WM. Go to start genset and nothing but light rapid clicks like the battery is dead. Does anyone know if it's a dead battery? I'm assuming it has a separate battery. But not sure.

Coach only has 4K miles and is 7 months old.

Have half a tank of gas.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks Keith.
2006 Four Winds Hurricane 34N
2014 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 Toad

USAF Veteran. 75-81 SAC "Giant Talk" ATC-
Combat Crew Communications

Squealers = Steelers & Arkansas Razorbacks Fan
16 REPLIES 16

bobpie
Explorer
Explorer
I guess you mean that after holding the start switch down for 15-20 seconds the genny finally started?
The light on the start button flashes as the generator is cranking!
It stays solid when running!
If you use the start button on the genny itself, you should press and hold it to prime the carb, and then press it the other way after 20 or so seconds to start. Good luck11
2001 suncrusier, 32-v, Ford V10, 4 Koni FSD, dinning slide, No leaks, 1 wife, 1 westie, life is good! 03 malibu toad sometimes, roadmaster brake pro,roadmaster Blackhawk all terrain tow bar!

Squealers
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your input. This site rocks!!!

Squealers
Explorer
Explorer
Wayne had it right!! That was it. Thanks Wayne. I owe you dinner!!

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you gone outside and tried to start the generator with the switch right on the generator itself?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Genset normally uses the HOUSE battery (NOTE: at least one Motor home the genset has a battery all to itself, do not know which models that is)

Normally when driving the ENGINE ALTERNATOR charges both the chassis battery and the HOUSE/Genset battery.. For some reason it appears yours did not.

Suspects include
Cut off switch in DISCONNECTED position (Aux battery off, Use/Store switch in Store, or however they labeled it, varies from RV to RV)
Bad isolator device (This is the device that connects the house to the engine for charging,, may also connect engine to house when shore power or generator running)
bad Battery
Bad connections

All the interior lights on. (or at least enough of 'em, each 2 light incandescent fixture draws about 3 amps)

Since it's a 2016,, Warranty may apply if bad______

For now, On the dash is a button may be labeled AUX START, EMER or Emergency Start, or BOOST,, Press and hold for 30 seconds, then try to start generator, Do not hold for more than a full minute.. Once generator starts hold till the auto transfer does it's thing and lights brighten.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
If it hasn't been run for a while, my manual says to hold the switch to the off position for about 30 seconds to prime then go to start.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

Squealers
Explorer
Explorer
GPWayne wrote:
Flashing light on the start switch and rapid clicks?
Sounds like your fuel pump is priming. When the fuel pressure builds up the starter will kick in.
Hold the start switch down longer and it will start...15-20 seconds, That is, if you have more than 1/4 tank of fuel. The fuel tap for the Gene is at about the 1/4 fuel level in the tank. That prevents the Gene from using all the fuel out of the tank.

Wayne,

That's exactly what it's doing. I'll try holding it longer as you suggest. TY!

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
It could be a poor 12V or ground connection at or within the generator, or a bad starter solenoid in it.

The generator starter is likely the single largest DC load for the house battery if you do not have a fairly large inverter. Mine uses around 90 to 100 amps when cranking. It does not take too bad of a connection to cause trouble at those currents.

GPWayne
Explorer
Explorer
Flashing light on the start switch and rapid clicks?
Sounds like your fuel pump is priming. When the fuel pressure builds up the starter will kick in.
Hold the start switch down longer and it will start...15-20 seconds, That is, if you have more than 1/4 tank of fuel. The fuel tap for the Gene is at about the 1/4 fuel level in the tank. That prevents the Gene from using all the fuel out of the tank.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Are the house batteries connected?
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Squealers
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
Sounds more like a loose batt cable

I checked all the cables. All seem strong.

Squealers
Explorer
Explorer
Squealers wrote:
DrewE wrote:
Most commonly (but not universally) the generator starts from the house battery. Occasionally it's set up to start from the chassis battery. In either case, if the battery is too low you usually can start it by first starting the main engine so the alternator supplies some of the starting power.

It is a very rare setup for an RV generator to have a dedicated starting battery.

Thank you, I fired up the coach and still no turning over with the genset.

Tried the boost. Nada. Will try again.

Squealers
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Most commonly (but not universally) the generator starts from the house battery. Occasionally it's set up to start from the chassis battery. In either case, if the battery is too low you usually can start it by first starting the main engine so the alternator supplies some of the starting power.

It is a very rare setup for an RV generator to have a dedicated starting battery.

Thank you, I fired up the coach and still no turning over with the genset.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Use your battery boost which ties both sets of batteries together.
More likely batteries are shot. I would replace all of them and check all battery connections.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter