cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

Fencepost
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Susan. Love the Great State of Oregon. If you don't mind saying, what did you have to pay for that rebuild? We are always up towards you in the Lake Shasta area. Our Motorhome says "Sportsman" on the side too. Ours has the bunk beds in the back which we use only as storage space. No kids here. Regards, Fencepost & wife.
Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live.

susan-y
Explorer
Explorer
1978 Dodge Sportsman chassis. 21'American Clipper. 440 engine having it rebuilt. Exhaust headers ("dougs" not doug thorley.. guess his wife got the "dough thorley" line when they divorced?) Fell in love with the look and the twin exhaust made me smile, rather throaty. Decided it was worth some $$ to get it interstate and cross country ready! Should be home the end of the month.:C I do envy you who have the (whatever) to get in and fix it yourself. But hey.. someone has to keep the "living wage" jobs in Oregon. HAH!!!
[purple]Life looks better through a windshield.
[/purple]
2008 Winnebago View

Fencepost
Explorer
Explorer
1978 Tioga with 360 2 bbl on a M or B300 Chassis. Picked it up for $1500 knowing it needed an engine. Toyed with the idea of dropping a 440 in it when I got around to rebuilding it at 69000 miles. It had 68000 on it when I got it. Seeing what a tight fit the 360 was when I removed it I stuck with the 360. Didn't even put a 4 bbl on it. They wanted $5000.oo to rebuild it here in Cal so, I did it myself for about $600.oo. That's because I put a new RV cam in it, MSD ignition & coil & headers on it. Otherwise it would have been less. It gets 6 to 8 miles per gallon now & it doesn't seem to matter much if we are towing or not. It sure sounds good, it has a real nice lope to it & turns heads at idle. It's a 21 foot motor home & sometimes we tow a 22 boat. I know I'm letting the tail wag the dog here but it seems to work, so far. However I am wondering if that is legal here in Cal, or anywhere else, to tow a toad larger than your tow vehicle. I'm always working on this thing & probably have $10,000 in it by now, but everything works because it is new. We love it & are happy we started with it. Only 4 years later now, & we already want a newer class A. We heard that their holding tanks are larger. Seems we are always on "full" There are only two of us. I take military showers but I think the little missus still thinks she's at home. And, that's why she goes with me.
Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live.

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello Slim and Retta B., and WestWind!

Great to hear fom you! WestWind, just post and ask us
if you need help with your "new" RV, also check out
some info: "RV Repair and Maintenance Manual" by Bob
Livingston. I picked up a copy at Half.com and it's a
good solid read for anyone interested in RVing and keeping
one up. If yours has the front cab of a B300 Dodge van
it is a "C" which is what most of us have. If it doesn't
have a van or truck front cab, ie all a RV body then you
have the very durable "M" chassis Dodge. Either way, welcome!
You are among friends!

Slim and Retta B. welcome too!! Me and the Redhead wanted an RV
but were shut down by the cost of a new one. When I brought the
"Kobayashi Maru", our '72 Mobile Traveler, home, she had her doubts.
Until one day I found her inside it measuring for curtains and mini blinds... and telling me to buy another range and fridge... then I
knew she was O.K. with it. I figure by the time I'm done with all the mechanical and safety mods, and the interior re-do, we'll be into less than $3500.00 and we'll have a new old RV exactly like we want.
And best of all we can say: "It's paid for!".

I really like that. We both are 12 years away from retiring and don't want to wait 'til then. This is how we'll be able to live a little.
And I still don't knock new... I just prefer what I have. Wish you
both the best and keep us posted!

Happy trails!

Mark aka White Knight

Westwind
Explorer
Explorer
I am brand new to owning a motor home. A good friend gave me a 1979 Dodge Brougham in very good condition. Don't know what chassis it is on, has a 360cuin engine, is 22feet, spent the summer cleaning and making small repairs. Put in a new rug and floor trim. Now I have to learn how all the appliances and gas and electric run features operate. Enjoy reading the posts here and getting what seems to be very reliable information about operating and owning a motor home. tdavis

Slim___Retta_s_
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings! We are getting our 77 Dodge Tioga in shape for some good times. Have not used it in a couple of years. Have decided against upgrading until we have tried it once again. Heck, it was good enough while raising our children, should be good enough now that they are grown and we are retired and retiring soon.

Slim & Retta B

๐Ÿ™‚

Cdog
Explorer
Explorer
I need to check on those headers. I am going to have to pull the exhaust manifold on my 360 this winter because of a leak. If the manifold is bad, I may just go to headers.

22' 73 Diamond Class C

03 Crestliner LSi 2485

01 Dakota Quad Cab

63 Newman 17' being restored

pugmaster
Explorer
Explorer
Really had my hopes up on those headers. Thanks for the info.
Guess I'll need to invent a tool for changing those spark plugs.Sure can't deal with the scraps and pain of how it has to be done.

groenlynx
Explorer
Explorer
Pugmaster, I am well aware that the exhaust manifolds on a 440 (or 413 or 400) are Nearly Impossible to work on, due to Clearance Problems. That's the very Reason to Trash them, and get the Exhaust Headers. However.......... they are only available for 1977-1981 Class C's. I refer to Hedman "Hedders", Part # 79220 from Performance Automotive Warehouse for Aprox. $200 or less. (Also, for the small block 273-318-340-360 's there is the Hedman Part. # 79030, for Aprox. 150 or less.) AND, there are other Models for Class A Dodge MH's.

Elmer

tkahike
Explorer
Explorer
Whiteknight001-Thanks I will we are going away this weekend, so I will get some pics up when we get back. It's a nice little rig. My wife and I both have been volunteers for over 15 years on the local ambulance squad, so she has no fear of driving of it. It's actually smaller then the one ambulance.

Next year I'm going to redo the paint since that is the biggest project that needs to get done. Enjoy this site lots of good info and good people.

Well heading off to the auto parts store, want to keep a spare belt handy, just in case.
Its smarter to be lucky then its lucky to be smart!

1986 29' Corsair travel trailer with a 2001 Suburban 1500

My other favorite forum: www.MINIONREPORT.net

pugmaster
Explorer
Explorer
Yo, It's the Pugmaster here again.
Just removed the carter thermoquad carb from my 440, kicked it, shouted colorful language at it, let it lay there in the rain and mud for a few days as I awaited the arrival of my new Edlebrock carb.
It finally arrived and was I was shocked, surprised ! at how easy it was to install.
LOTS of hoses and other******that was required on the previous carb was sealed off or removed, not needed on the Edlebrock per the instructions.Plus a nice little sticker to apply stating that the carb met all emissions codes. Rosebud is purring now as never before!
VERY expensive carb,($560) but well worth the cost. Easier startups
smoother running, plus they claim a drastic increase in mpg and better response compared to the thermoquad. I'll find the truth of it soon. But, had to trash the original air filter housing. The thicker base plate put the carb height too high. A Edlebrock air filter unit does not sit as high as the orig air filter unit, so I purchased one for $29. Looks great and a perfect fit with a little space left to spare.

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello and welcome to the nut factory TKAHike!

You're exactly right about the manuverability of your rig!
The Kobayashi Maru is a tat bit longer than yours but I can get it in some places that just boggle some folk's minds... like in my driveway!!!

Keep on posting and get a gallery up- I'd love to see how you fixed your rig! I might even get some ideas...

TTYL

Mark aka White Knight

tkahike
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all, we have a 1978 Dodge Coachman 18 footer. I will have to post a picture at some point. We love it. Small enough to get into places but big enough for the family. It has a 360 in it and runs great. I have done a lot of work to it in upgrades, more of my toys then anything else. The unit was in real good shape when I got it, so it wasn't that bad. I like to tinker, so in that sense it is nice, and best of all its paid for.
Its smarter to be lucky then its lucky to be smart!

1986 29' Corsair travel trailer with a 2001 Suburban 1500

My other favorite forum: www.MINIONREPORT.net

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome Denisondc,Ripsaw,BradyK,Groenlynx,Jcarew,Cdog and
Pugmaster,HiTech,RobinHoodRV,RhondaK,MsBondurant,1978_Dodge
Delta!!!

Thank each one of you for your response to this post. It
really was my intention to locate and communicate with
anyone in RV.NET that owns an older Dodge "B" or "M" chassis
RV, and hopefully to form a network for our exclusive benefit.
After all our RV's are of the variety called the "Fixer-Upper".
This allows some unique creative license to make our RV's truly
"our own", rather than settling for a floor plan and options.
It is also my intent to "scrapbook"' if you will, of our efforts.
I would like to see galleries of older RV's that owners have restored to their specifications, be them what they may. Each is unique, like
snowflakes- no two are alike. And every story needs to be told.
Because each story is unique too.

We are also among an elite group of RV'ers who can proudly say
three words:

"It's paid for."

I'll never knock new stuff, I love it as much as the next guy.
But like I stated earlier I would rather have a vehicle that
I can do everything with, when I want to, and Heaven forbid, if
the world goes nuts tomorrow, the ol' Kobayashi Maru will "set
sail for the Promised Land" (more Trekkie speak- NE1 wanna guess
the movie that came out of? It's in the first four and Kirk says the line.)and me and the Redhead will do "Road Worrier" hee hee.

So let's keep this up and going. It's an established fact that there
is strength and safety in numbers, as well as a wealth of good ideas,
and a heckuva lotta good fellowship. In the meantime I'm discovering
just how many wasp nests I can run into cleaning out the Koby, so if you hear a buncha colorful metaphors bein' exhaled in rapid transit,
I'm bein' chased an' stung!

So, later on, God bless, and we'll leave the light on for ya!

your inflamed ol' friend

the Wasp Meister aka Mark

pugmaster
Explorer
Explorer
How can headers fit the 440??
I barely get my fingers in to change the spark plugs on the drivers side and must either crawl under the cab on the passenger side or remove the pass. wheel to get to the plugs on that side. I owned a '73 dodge MH with a 360 several years ago and the headers that the prev. owner had installed fit so close I had to do some creative remodeling of the floorboard area and bottom of the doghouse to lessen the heat transfer to the passenger side.
Wanted to put headers on the 440,(huge MPG increase and less back preasure on the engine),until I got a good look at the clearances at the exhaust manifolds. Settled for changing the exhaust sys. form single to dual.