cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
OldDodgeJohn wrote:
1st "issue" is that I only have 12V cabin lights if I either run the generator or plug into my home AC. I do have a well charged house battery. The house battery is "connected" because it gets charged when I hook up AC. I also show voltage on the gauge on thh electrical panel inside the RV w/o hooking up AC or running the generator. So I have 12V at that panel but not anywhere else.

I'm confused - the only lights built into my motorhome are 12V lights.

Mr_Mopar_
Explorer
Explorer
donran wrote:
Overheating in my 1976 dodge 360 was a great problem for the person who owned it before me. It has a new radiator, waterpump, thermostat but he never got it right. I think the problem is in a burned valve dumping hot gases that exchange heat to the head. Not a superficial fix. But I could be wrong.

you could be right, a blown head gasket will cause overheating and coolant loss. The 360's are prone to cracked heads and blown gaskets if abused, there is a check that can be done if you have the equipment to see if gasses are getting in the cooling system. or simply remove the radiator cap when cool run the engine and see if you are getting any unusual bubbling some time you can get a clue this way.
Rodney
Visit my website
1978 American Clipper 21 ft. 440 Dodge.

Mr_Mopar_
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new purchase.
Dose the home have a receiver or hitch on the back for towing? if so crawl under there and see that it is solid and that you would want to tow with it.
my Clippper is rated @ just about what the thing weights {don't remember the numbers} That didn't stop me, I made sure the hitch and frame work was in good condition and towed my race car on a trailer all over Oregon and beyond. A good set of trailer brakes are a must to be able to stop.
The electric control box should make the switch from 12v to 110 of shore power as the seasoned RVers call it. you might take a look in the box once you located it and check all of the connections and fuses and breakers.
I had to rebuild my control box and was not that difficult after I got the semantic from the manufacture, they were quite helpful.
good luck
Rodney
Rodney
Visit my website
1978 American Clipper 21 ft. 440 Dodge.

OldDodgeJohn
Explorer
Explorer
Woohoo! Great thread.

I recently purchased a 1973 Dodge Superior 23' Class A with the Dodge 440 and 727 transmission. It came with manuals for all the bells and whistles but I have no information about the base chassis. The seller thought it was a M400. I'd like to get more info to figure out whether or not it's rated to tow my Jeep.

My VIN# is 23H22002016 if that helps.

It drove great on the 100 miles home. 1st "issue" is that I only have 12V cabin lights if I either run the generator or plug into my home AC. I do have a well charged house battery. The house battery is "connected" because it gets charged when I hook up AC. I also show voltage on the gauge on thh electrical panel inside the RV w/o hooking up AC or running the generator. So I have 12V at that panel but not anywhere else.

I appreciate all the information folks have shared on this thread. It's our first RV and I figured I would get something old and cheap to try it out but heck, the 1st one might be a keeper. ๐Ÿ™‚

new_v_er
Explorer
Explorer
GypZ wrote:
My first Dodge and it's a 1977 Tioga Sportsman 24' with a 440. I'm new to RVing and this one was given to me by my grandpa after it sat for several years. Guess I'm gonna have to hire a handyman to help me get her on the road again. Anyhoo, hello all. Julie

Hi Julie.

Based on the rebuild zen of the older rv you might consider marrying the handy man. It might prove less expensive.;)

We truly enjoyed doing the work we could and bit the bullet for the bigger items. Our new exhaust was put in the day before the big snows came to Michigan. The Doug Thorley headers were an ebay steal at $50.00 and $30 for the gaskets. The mechanic put in the headers and duals with crossover for $700. I figure it was worth it. It's not a driveway job if you know what I mean.
Regarding your LOT in Life: Build something on it ... or park your Dodge on it.;)
Bill & Laurie
1976 Dodge Sportsman Midas Mini 226

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dannbo wrote:
Wow! I have just read all 42 pages of this thread. Where is "White Night " these days? I have learned allot in a short time. Very quality reading.

Of course I realise this is the class C forum, but I'm triing to cover all bases.Thanks

Hello Dannbo and everybody!!

I apologize heartily for being away so long. Much has changed
for me employment-wise, but things are finally getting stabilized.
I'm nothing short of dumbfounded- what started as a thread that I
NEVER expected would be responded to now is what? 42 pages and growing?

I'm humbled beyond words. And grateful. Not only for confirmation that
I'm not the ONLY loose cannon rollin' round on the deck as far as older RV's go, but for all the sharing and cameraderie that seem to
be one of the strong characteristics of this group. Thank all of you
for being a part of this, and standing up to be recognized. I have always thought that the used RV owners sector of the market was one not to be taken lightly. Just the sheer number of our pages and posts show this. We are a force to be reckoned with.

I also hope that this post of mine finds all of us well, happy, in the
company of our loved ones and in good health and spirits. I also beg the "Father of all lights, in Whom there is no variableness, nor shadow of turning" His rich blessings and His watchful, loving care upon all of us now, and in the days yet unborn. I still entertain the hope of meeting everyone here someday in real time. I happily remain...

The one who started all this mess...

Mark a.k.a whiteknight
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."

donran
Explorer
Explorer
Overheating in my 1976 dodge 360 was a great problem for the person who owned it before me. It has a new readiator, waterpump, thermostate but he never got it right. I think the problem is in a burned valve dumping hot gases that exchange heat to the head. Not a superficial fix. But I could be wrong.
1976 Dodge Sportsman, Suveyor rig, "rustic" condition.

Toyota4x4crazy
Explorer
Explorer
Bought my 79 Dodge Sportsman 21' Georgie Boy class C about two years ago to tow/camp my 85 Toyota 4Runner. It has a 360 4BL. My wife and I recovered all of the cushions and made new curtains. Thats about all it needed, it's in great shape for a 1979 MH. Have only camped in it for one weekend but everything worked great. I had the carb rebuilt and it runs good. I have been thinking about a newer MH but I love the layout of this one and ITS PAID FOR. Are there any pictures on this site? Still reading all the posts but wanted to be added to the list.

Sportscoach
Explorer
Explorer
Wow did'nt know there were that many of us. Just purchased a 1978 Sportscoach M500 chassis. There has been quite abit of work done on this unit but still needs work. 440 engine is overheating, the water pump, fan clutch, and thermostat have been replaced. but it still overheats if you feel the radiator it is very hot on top and much cooler on the bottom, it has been chemically flushed could it still be plugged and in need of replacement If you have any answers let me know as this is my home away from home in Las Vegas and would like to get him repaired before I return. Thank you in advance for your reply!!

Dannbo
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! I have just read all 42 pages of this thread. Where is "White Night " these days? I have learned allot in a short time. Very quality reading.
I also have purchased a "new" motorhome this year and already have had great memories with the family. As far as I know it is a 1973 Emperor (as registered at motor vehicle board). I have never heard of this make, nor has it turned up in my searches.
This is what I know so far: It looks like an Empress of the era.Class A, 26ft, 17 1/2" wheels, Dodge chassis with a 440. The coach was mad by HaiCo in Lethbridge Alberta Canada.
Some of the things I would like to know: How many ton chassis?Does this refer to an M chassis #, Transmission, rear end ect..My tag reads:

Dodge Fargo De Soto
Make: Dodge Model: R40
Vin: R40CA4S028275 Ton: B2995324
GVW: 12000

The motorhome has had allot of work done to it, with a bit left to go. See profile. I'm looking forward to hearing from anyone that can help or who has any comments that would help.
Of course I realise this is the class C forum, but I'm triing to cover all bases.Thanks

donran
Explorer
Explorer
My wife left the pump and shower on till it overflowed. So it was like no water, grey water overflowing, house battery near dead and the rug wet.
1976 Dodge Sportsman, Suveyor rig, "rustic" condition.

proceed_net
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, HItech
The john has a single knob. I mean to go out and try more than just one twist and release. It may fill if the release is slow (or paused). The only thing I can think of, is that the knob once released slowly to fill the bowl and has since worn out and just snaps back to close. (thus allowing only a very short time for refill.)

Scrubs5685
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. Just found this site. Thought I would join. Just acquired a 1979 Dodge
Honey with 50k miles. Needed some roof work done due to pooling of water but has been repaired and now I am ready to hit the roads for some fall outings.
Hope to see many more join in on the topic of Dodge based RV's

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome Scott.

There are probably 2 levers on your toilet. When you flush them both together you get just a little water after the flush. You probably need to hold the second lever until the water is at the height you like. It is not like a residential toilet where it fills to a pre-determined point.

proceed_net
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, This is my first post. So don't look for past postings. I have a 1977 MB400 Sportsman. I have the Shop Manual (for the B300 chassis) and will scan the whole thing as jpg's. I will post it, any submissions, and any news that I have on a site: www.rvhelp.net. If you want to help, send anything (RV related help) to fruition@lycos.com.

p.s. I don't have the owners manual that explains the camper part of the vehicle. I know nothing about the gray/black water system. My toilet bowl gets only a very small amount of water into it after each flush!
Thanks, Scott