cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW MUCH LONGER

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
I just turned 82 although I don't feel it. I wondering how many are in that age bracket and how much longer do you think you will be wheeling a motor home around. I hope to do so for another 8 to 10 years. I've spent most of my life with teen agers, teaching was my career. I think that has helped keep me young and a little crazy. :W
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !
30 REPLIES 30

robertbenita
Explorer
Explorer
Go as long as you can safely. And if you have someone you can ask how you are doing, do it! I hope it is as long as you like.

subtroll
Explorer
Explorer
I remember my father-in law's Christmas letter that said... " Euland thinks Evelyn should stop driving and Evelyn thinks Euland should stop driving...and our kids think we are both right"

I also liked the story at RV driving school. "What do folks do when they get too old to drive their car? They buy a Motor Home and tow their car."

At 77, I plan to keep on RVing as long as I'm comfortable driving.
2004 National Tropi-cal Sterling 396
2003 Jeep Liberty

bigdog2
Explorer
Explorer
I will be 74 next month. Still driving the big rigs ( part time during the summer ) 20 years ago I could work 12 hours in a day and come home tired. Today I worked 12 hours and came home & I'm tired. I do it because I enjoy it ( well, they pay me & that helps ). Besides that I can't sit & watch tv all day I would die. Work in the summer, fish in the Baja in winter. It's a pretty good life. 🙂
LOW net worth.........HIGH quality of life
Dudley is at the rainbow bridge
Sonney,old ,retired Roadway driver.
Donna, too young to retire, she quit.

2006 GBM Pursuit 3500 DS
2014 ram toad- toad's toad VW powered buggy

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot to mention, I'm still a licensed driving instructor and own my own driving school running 7 cars with 10 employees. Most times I still feel much younger. I didn't ask the question because I had some doubts about my ability but was just curious. I have a couple daughters who will waste no words in telling me it's time to quit. Before I married last time I was dating a lady 18 years my junior who had a bus license. I jokingly told her I wanted to marry her so I would have someone to drive for me when I got old. Of course I wasn't serious and she knew it.
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
My guess is that I will probably be done with driving a big motorhome at age 87. I flew my friend's twin-engined 310 a couple of weeks ago. I feel younger than what I had guessed I would, at age 75. I have no problem going out on my bassboat by myself.
My memory was not that great at age 25, but it's still about the same. But, losing my mind is one of my biggest concerns. I don't want to keep on living without my mind.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most people work up to the point where they realize things are changing. Usually they start avoiding driving at night. Then they start taking shorter trips and driving less each day.
We were at one RV park in Georgia and was talking to our 92 year old neighbor. Him and his lovely wife were only 25 miles away from their stick home. He said that they loved this RV park, met lots of new friends, and that they try to get there every few months or so. At the time when we saw them, he said that his son had driven the coach to the RV park for them, but he and his wife were doing all of the set up, etc.
I guess I learned that if you just adjust to your changing conditions, you can enjoy RVing for a long time.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
100% with magilla here.

One of the hardest things we ever had to do was take my grandfathers car keys away.
He was getting lost on the way home from the grocery store, on streets he'd driven on for 40 years. Alzhiemers... His eyesight, reflexes, car control, all were fine. He just couldn't remember how to get where he needed to be. He fought us hard, but it was time.

Tears me up just thinking about it.
Rest in Peace Grandpa, you taught me everything I needed to know.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP and anyone else getting up there in age;

Find a friend that you can truly rely on to tell you the truth......even when it hurts. Ask that friend to tell you when you are no longer fit to wheel that rig around. Then listen to him/her.

At 82 you may have more than 10 years of wheeling left in you or you may have wheeled for 10 more years than you should have. That is the sad reality of life. I will use myself as the example here. I like to drive and put a lot of miles behind the wheel every year. I work full time and still drive between 35k to 50k a year. When it comes time for me to turn in my keys I wont be aware of it. That or I will be to stubborn to admit it. I also don't want my pride to get in the way of others safety. It is not fair for me to put a family in danger.

I am by no means saying that 82 is to old to drive. For some it is and for many its not. I am just suggesting that WE ALL look for that friend that will save us from ourselves.

Best wishes and may you have many many more years of doing what you love.
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
fivejackie wrote:
A friend of mine, who is 84, went in for a doctor visit 2 months ago. The doc took away his driver's license. He is now so depressed with the lost of his freedom, but it was the right thing to do.

That is so sad.
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 70 and the back is done. Can't bend over to do the things must bend over to do.

Any suggestions for a wheeled convenience that stores easily and permits sliding along under doors doing what is needed?

fivejackie
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine, who is 84, went in for a doctor visit 2 months ago. The doc took away his driver's license. He is now so depressed with the lost of his freedom, but it was the right thing to do.
Don and Jackie
2115 Hurricane 27K
2113 Redhawk
1992 Pace Arrow

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I heard a story of an RV club that had a member that was 90 years old. They were saying he just bought new tires for his RV.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
Anyhow when I get too old travel I already have my plans made.

When I'm an old man, I'll live with each kid,
And bring so much happiness just as they did.
I want to pay back all the joy they've provided.
Returning each deed! Oh, they'll be so excited!
When I'm an old man and live with my kids.

I'll write on the walls with reds, whites and blues,
And I'll bounce on the furniture wearing my shoes.
I'll drink from the carton and then leave it out.
I'll stuff all the toilets and oh, how they'll shout!

When they're on the phone and just out of reach,
I'll get into things like sugar and bleach.
Oh, they'll snap their fingers and then shake their head,

When they cook dinner and call me to eat,
I'll not eat my green beans or salad or meat,
I'll gag on my okra, spill milk on the table,
And when they get angry I'll run if I'm able!

I'll sit close to the TV, through channels I'll click,
I'll cross both eyes just to see if they stick.
I'll take off my socks and throw one away,
And play in the mud 'til the end of the day!

And later in bed, I'll lay back and sigh,
I'll thank God in prayer and then close my eyes.
My kids will look down with a smile slowly creeping,
And say with a groan, "He's so sweet when He's sleeping !"
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Treasure every moment---3 weeks ago I left my perfectly healthy, active, 72 year old, Wife for 1 hour....during my absence she had a massive stroke. The DP sits and life has stopped. I spend every day with her, first in ICU, and now in a rehab facility. I am 74 and can tell you to treasure the time you have and never let an adventure remain undone....And hug the one you love.......

I'm so sorry. I lost two wives both in their early 70's. I know where you are coming from and agree with you completely. I'll say a prayer for you my friend.
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM