cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing a rooftop heatpump on a 1992 Ford conversion van

papK
Explorer
Explorer
We own a 1992 Ford conversion van we have set up for camping. No frills just a place to sleep, microwave, eating space etc. We would like to be able to heat and cool the van and we're wondering if the raised fiberglass roof would handle the weight (probably <100 lbs.) of a rooftop heatpump and if anyone out there has done a heatpump install on a conversion van. I'm assuming the roof is rated for far more weight than that considering some of the snow loads we've had on it. We tried heating it with a small electric heater but even in 40 degree weather it basically was worthless. A free standing portable unit takes up too much space.
4 REPLIES 4

omjones
Explorer
Explorer
At WM they have portable room air conditioners for around $200. Run on 110V and good for small areas. Stand on the floor with wheels to roll around.
john 'I am Canadian'

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
You may be better off with a small 110 volt window A/C unit, mounted in one of the rear door windows.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

loving_retireme
Explorer
Explorer
papK wrote:
We own a 1992 Ford conversion van we have set up for camping. No frills just a place to sleep, microwave, eating space etc. We would like to be able to heat and cool the van and we're wondering if the raised fiberglass roof would handle the weight (probably <100 lbs.) of a rooftop heatpump and if anyone out there has done a heatpump install on a conversion van. I'm assuming the roof is rated for far more weight than that considering some of the snow loads we've had on it. We tried heating it with a small electric heater but even in 40 degree weather it basically was worthless. A free standing portable unit takes up too much space.

A heatpump like a 10K btu CoolCat RV AC unit will give you little if any heat much below 45 degrees. If your temps are going to be much below 50 degrees I would go with an AC unit and a small electric heater. A 10k to 12k AC unit will be about 60-65 lbs.

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Those fiberglass tops are usually really thin, you will probably need to reinforce the roof.
Having a roof full of snow is not the same as putting 100 lbs in the center of the roof.