cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my RV a Chevy Express 3500 or 4500?

jdelduco
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All: I have a 2017 Thor Chateau 22B. I have been unable to determine definitively if it is an Express 3500 or 4500. I have called Chevy Customer service with the VIN and they couldn't say. I've called Thor and they couldn't figure it out. I've registered on Chevy's website and entered the VIN and it say's just that it is a Express Cutaway but Doesn't say 3500 or 4500. I've called the dealer and they said it was a 3500 but they I think they were just trying to get me off the phone. The best proof I have so far is the GVW for my RV listed on Thor data sheet matches the GVW on Chevy's website for the 3500. But I still find everyone referring to the 22B on-line as a 4500. If I go by the GVW it looks like they don't go to the 4500 until you get up to the 27 footer. So my question is does anyone know definitively what it is a 3500 or 4500, how do you tell and what is the difference. Thanks John
23 REPLIES 23

EdwardYork
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I would use one like this:
They may have more information.
Another place to look is on the vehicle sheet that is normally in one of the cabinets stuck to the wall or door.

Yeah, thanks
yarkoweb writer

jodiboyd
Explorer
Explorer
My suggestion is that the OP simply drives the motorhome over to the service department at a Chevy Dealership.

Just because it is a 2017 Thor Chateau motorhome does not mean the Chevy engine is a 2017, it may be a 2016. And Chevy did make changes between the 2016 and 2017 model years.

Between the VIN# and a knowledgable Chevy service center, they will get it sorted out for you.

My money is on the 4500.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
pnichols wrote:
Hmmm ... this is an eye-opening conversation thread: You mean Chevy doesn't put a (metal) marker indicating "3500" or "4500" on both front sides of their cutaway van chassis - like Ford does on their E350 and E450 chassis? :h

Not since about 1995 when they switched over to the Express from the G series cutaway.

My 2014 has it.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
pnichols wrote:
Hmmm ... this is an eye-opening conversation thread: You mean Chevy doesn't put a (metal) marker indicating "3500" or "4500" on both front sides of their cutaway van chassis - like Ford does on their E350 and E450 chassis? :h

Not since about 1995 when they switched over to the Express from the G series cutaway.

My 2014 Chevy says "450" big and bold on ONE side.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:

My 2014 Chevy Coachmen has a "450" marker.

I-Can-Am-Can-Yo
Explorer
Explorer
My 2015 4500 is pretty clearly marked and has a 14,200 gvwr. It’s a 32’

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
jdelduco wrote:
Hello All: I have a 2017 Thor Chateau 22B. I have been unable to determine definitively if it is an Express 3500 or 4500. I have called Chevy Customer service with the VIN and they couldn't say. I've called Thor and they couldn't figure it out. I've registered on Chevy's website and entered the VIN and it say's just that it is a Express Cutaway but Doesn't say 3500 or 4500. I've called the dealer and they said it was a 3500 but they I think they were just trying to get me off the phone. The best proof I have so far is the GVW for my RV listed on Thor data sheet matches the GVW on Chevy's website for the 3500. But I still find everyone referring to the 22B on-line as a 4500. If I go by the GVW it looks like they don't go to the 4500 until you get up to the 27 footer. So my question is does anyone know definitively what it is a 3500 or 4500, how do you tell and what is the difference. Thanks John

My 2014 Coachmen C on a cutaway has a shiny tag on the front that says 4500.

This GM Fleet sitesays that the 3500 has a max GVWR of 12,300 lb. More than that and you have a 4500.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

CC38EL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not on this model. Looked at several online....no front side decal.

Gotta believe it's a Thor thing....they saved $8 each side to not have GM put them on.
Jim
2019 Coachmen Mirada Select 37LS

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
What does the RPO sticker GM puts in the vehicle say for your unit? Also make sure the VIN on the RPO sticker matches the VIN on the dash. Don't decode from any VIN listed on any other paperwork (coach sticker, RV build sheet, etc) as only the dash and RPO VIN numbers are from the factory.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
But then again where I got that info on Chevy website, it lists all models as semi floating rear axles, in which I’ve never seen a drw rear axle with a 9600lb axle rating (which these are) with a semi floating axle. But Chevy site lists as a semi floater for all models.

What does it matter? Seems the specs are all the same with the changes being rear springs Capacity only Based on tech specs for the 2 models.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If the gvw is 10500 or 12300 it’s a 3500. If it’s 13980 or 14200 it’s a 4500.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have Thor run your vin, they bought it and they built it.