cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kayak storage?

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
We usually travel with 4 bikes on a Thule hitch rack. Now looking to add 2 kayaks. How/ where do you store kayaks whether inside or outside of your C.?
17 REPLIES 17

rv_kayaker
Explorer
Explorer
We are new to RV travel but long time sea kayakers. We have cartopped our kayaks all along the East Coast, from Canada to Florida. In considering a class C rv as a retirement plan, being able to kayak as we traveled was an essential part of making it work. We already had an Innova Sunny inflatable. It is a high end inflatable which can set up as a single or double. We have used it in ocean and lake settings for up to 6 or 8 mile trips, but it doesn't compare with our hard shell sea kayaks (or offer the safety of spray skirts, etc.)
We mail ordered a Trak kayak for test paddling. They have a 30 day return policy, It was great. The Trak Seeker ST16 is a skin on frame performance kayak. Sets up in about 10 minutes and performs likea hard shell. After a short test paddle side by side with our carbon/kevlar sea kayaks, we were sold. On another day I paddled with a buddy and we did a 14 mile non-stop trip. Well, we have 2 of them now and the rv is arriving this month. Check out their web site for videos showing them in use around the world in all sorts of conditions. We are looking forward to using them around the US and Canada. i'll be happy to answer questions or even let you take a look at one if you are around western Connecticut.
web site is www.trakkayaks.com

Mike
Winnebago view...arriving soon
Trak Seeker ST16 (a pair)

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
As a long time paddler, hauling a hard shell yak with a RV is difficult. I purchased the SeaEagle Razor 393RL and I'm very impressed with it's performance. Been there/done that with the AdvancedElements inflatables (Yukon was my fav) but they have too many fill valves and are heavy. The Razor at 13'10" length is about 30lbs and just a bit slower in speed compared to my sea kayak, P&H Capella 16.5" so the speed of the inflatable is pretty amazing. Fill time with a hand pump is 8-10 minutes. While I love my Capella and my Malibu X-13 sit on, the Sea Eagle RazorLite solved our RV transport issue. We also have a Saturn Ocean Pro inflatable at 14' and it's another excellent inflatable (tandem or single) and made very well with a raised off the water drop stitch floor with self draining scupper holes for rough water(pumps up hard) and with Halkey (3)valves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxfFM790Vbg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk6UWUr7tBc

TARDIS_TIME_TRA
Explorer
Explorer
This is our first stowage of our kayaks on the Tardis. the problem is it covered our solar panels making them useless except when we had them off the roof.

This was our answer to the problem for us. A 3 section, snap together kayak made by (Point 65). It can be a single or double,as needed.
"TARDIS" time travelers
2011 Ford F350 4X4 Super Cab Bengal Tiger
David & Holly Fox
Chesapeake, Va.

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
I've actually stored my 14.5' kayak inside my C a couple times when I've gone solo. Put it in and out through the back window over the bed. Just make sure it doesn't fall over and block the bathroom door when you're inside. Don't ask me how I know.

Most of the time the kayaks or our canoe go on the racks on top of our 14' trailer. Inside are our Harleys (which we prefer over our car as a toad), our mountain bikes, and other extra gear we want to take.

The trailer solves a lot of storage issues for us on an extended trips.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

behengold
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget foldables. We have a folboat we take on planes. We also have a Klepper 2 seater. Haven't see a reasonable way to carry a hard shell other then on a toad.

Seamutt
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Innova inflatable, the Sunny model. Very tough material. When deflated and folded up out of sight, out of mind.

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Use(d) a dual 2" receiver - top got the 4-bike rack, bottom took a Hitch-Haul carrier, which held the Sevylor inflatable canoe. Used that system for 80k miles or more on our "B". Now with the "B+", rigged Suby Forester as a toad, hard boat carries on its roof rack. Cheaper to set up the Suby as a toad than buy the Thule trailer!!! if not taking the toad, hitch system goes back on for bikes and boat. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding trailers, one can put cross bar on a utility trailer and anything that will mount to cross bars can go on top of the trailer. I just U bolted two tubes across and I can carry 4 bikes on top of mine on Thule carriers. Kayaks would just need the appropriate saddles.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
We have an Advanced Elements Convertible inflatable set up as a tandem. It all packs up into a 60# bag and can ride inside the RV. We've had it for about 4 years now. Several of our friends now have them too. It's been a great boat in warm weather and not so warm.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have LOTS of hardside kayaks, and if I needed them, hauled them in a 6 x 12' utility trailer behind the MH. Otherwise, I bought an inflatable Sea Eagle FastTrak 135, which can either be paddled solo or tandem. It handles great, on a lake or a river; and when folded up, fit in the space between the dinette seats.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
The Sea Eagle kayaks are rated up to Class 3....Like Second Chance, we mostly stick to flat water. Plus our kayaks don't see a lot of use. Never took them out in 2016.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Advanced Elements Inflatables. Takes a little longer to set-up/pack up but they are small when transporting and I love how stable they are!
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 2-person kayak is stored behind my Ekornes recliner in the main living area of the fifth wheel (seats and paddles are in the basement). Like Brian, we have a Sea Eagle inflatable and love it. We're old folks and stick to lakes and fair weather, so it works just fine for us. I did my share of white knuckle sailing in keel boats when I was young...

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
JohninSD wrote:
I use a Yakima trailer - pricey but really nice to use - saves lifting boats overhead and can also be set up to carry bikes.

We had a 4x6 utility trailer with a Malone kayak rack. It was ok if you were going a site with unlimited space. We sold it and used the proceeds with selling our regular kayaks and bought inflatables.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L