cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lake Michigan...

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
The DW and I are considering a trip from home (N. Fl.) to Michigan in the Spring. While there, would like to spend time at CG's very close to or on Lake Michigan. Any suggestions of several good CG's... say from Benton Harbor on the south to Frankfort on the north end... to stay at while there? I know this should probably be posted in the 'Travels Section' but felt this section would get more views and, hopefully, more replies. / Thanks!
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
31 REPLIES 31

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
the silverback wrote:
don't know where you are in Fl. We are north of Tampa. Recommend you take US19 up to I10, then go to Dothan, Al Then 231 to I65 at Montgomery, Al to US 31 at Indianapolis to Benton Harbor, MI. I like it better than I75 Which will take you to Eastern MI anyway

We're close to Tallahassee and I agree that is a good route. But, we plan to first go to Spring City, Tennessee to visit our daughter and from there on to Michigan.
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

chili_s_trip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grand Haven State Park if you can make reservations. On Lake MI and the Grand river Channel. Beach ranked in top 10 world. One of the most photographed light houses on Lake Michigan and walking distant to great downtown on riverside boardwalk. Between Holland and Muskegon and 25 miles west of Grand Rapids. Good luck.
Jack H
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 32W 8.1.
2009 Honda Fit Sport

abrasv
Explorer
Explorer
Poncho's Pond in Ludington is super nice and they actually ask you to wash your mh if it needs it. Keeps the park looking nice they said!
Jim and Carol
'05 Discovery 39S
'06 Dodge Dakota 4x4 quad cab
'37 chevy sedan

et2
Explorer
Explorer
We've lived here all our lives. We like the west shore line of the L.P area way more than the East. Not that there aren't nice places there too. Your trip sounds like your taking the Western shore. Many have mentioned state parks. There are many excellent ones on your indicated route. However, starting Jan 1st they go up on the web for reservations six months out. Many are filled within weeks up to June. Starting Feb 1st July becomes available. It's amazing how fast the sites go.

If you have a rig 38' or bigger you aren't going to fit in many state parks even if they say you can, been there done that. If you aren't familiar with a particular park and you have a big rig it would be wise to ask people here. Making a reservation is almost mandatory at the popular state parks.

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Thanks for that one Bsinmach.... I never thought of the state park when I visited Holland, stayed down near Alamo (Kalamazoo Twp) and comuitted.

By the way.. Holland in Tulip time is to be experienced if at all possible O/P.

Tulip time is very busy. Early reservations required
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for that one Bsinmach.... I never thought of the state park when I visited Holland, stayed down near Alamo (Kalamazoo Twp) and comuitted.

By the way.. Holland in Tulip time is to be experienced if at all possible O/P.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Holland State Park has some full hookup site at the beachfront park. Keep in mind that the entire W. coast of Mich. is sand dunes. From Holland you can tour Saugatuck, Holland, Grand Rapids, (Beer City) and our downtown.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

purduepete2
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure you would like Indiana Dunes State Park on the Southern tip of Lake Michigan. Concrete pads with water & Electric. New bathhouses and walking distance to beautiful sand beaches and swimming in mid-June through August in fresh water! On windy days you'd think you were at the Ocean and did I mention; Fresh Water! It's also located next to Dunes National Lake Shore Park so bring your Senior pass for free admittance. This is probably the best and closest campground near Chicago.
The South Shore electric train station is right next door (Chesterton Indiana Station) and it will take you to downtown Chicago for the day in one of the most beautiful City's in the world! Stops right at the Art Institute on Michigan Avenue.

Pete

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
don't know where you are in Fl. We are north of Tampa. Recommend you take US19 up to I10, then go to Dothan, Al Then 231 to I65 at Montgomery, Al to US 31 at Indianapolis to Benton Harbor, MI. I like it better than I75 Which will take you to Eastern MI anyway
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Those of us who know Michigan love the state, it is a wonderful state, alas there is one down side but all 50 states have that one (And that's all i will say about it). and frankly, not a lot of difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4sPoNCvKI8

It is a song by Sally Rodgers.. Really has nothing to do with the tread save for. Lake Michigan.

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
We loved this place.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
From the OP...WOW!! I asked and boy did I receive! Many thanks to all who replied...great information. But, if you have info. regarding the request and have not replied...please do. The more the merrier./ Larry
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You might wish to go to Michigan DNR and check out the state parks along the route, Depending on your rig some of them are very lovely and reasonable, Generally Electric at site, may have water or may have "Luggable" water, and a dump station (no full hookup, no wi-fi).

And of course many private parks up and down the sore.

If you have time cross over to the UP. (As you go over the bridge you see two of the Great lakes, Michigan on the left, Huron on the right) look on your UP map for a town called Paradise (you'll be glad you made it) and just to the left is another state park (No, i'm not about to try and spell the name of that river). In terms of GPM, those falls are 2nd only to Niagara. Lovely golden falls. About a half mile from where you park your car though.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Holland State Park is on the beach right by the water - also I think Ludington State Park is also, many of them are. You had better get reservations made soon though as they are usually filled in the summer.