cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Launching boat with Super C

91tiger
Explorer
Explorer
Been doing a lot of looking and considering moving up from my Class B with Duramax diesel to a Jaco Seneca 37FS. I drove one this week and it was really impressive. Very smooth ride even on a rough highway, good power, and didn't get pushed around at all by big rigs.

My main use for it will be pulling my boat from SC to South Florida several times a year for fishing trips in Everglades Park. I launch and put the boat back on the trailer each day. The boat floats off very shallow and the RV will not have to touch the water to launch or load.

I love the Seneca but I don't want to find that I will not be able to use it to launch the boat. With the big overhang past the rear axel, I worry the boat will be on the ramp and the RV is still on level ground as I back up and it will push the tongue of the trailer way up in the air the further the overhang is sticking out over the ramp. This could cause the back of the boat trailer to bottom out.

I thought about getting a really low drop hitch just to use in the park to launch, not on the highway. This may mitigate the long over hang.

I also thought about getting a front receiver hitch installed and launching with the boat trailer out in front of me. The campground isn't far at all from the launch and I could leave it hooked up like that all week while I'm camping and fishing. I also worry about the RV bottoming out between the axels going from level ground and down the ramp but it may not be a concern.

Any safety concerns with setting the parking brake on a boat ramp with a rig that heavy? I sure don't want it to break free and end up in the drink.

Any insight on how people deal with boats with these types of rigs would be much appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10

91tiger
Explorer
Explorer
I showed the pictures of the ramp to a friend at work who has had several RV's and he didn't think I would have a bit of trouble launching with a Seneca or any other rig. He thought my idea about changing to a really low drop hitch once I got into the park would help a lot too.

I just hate the idea of buying the rig and getting all the way down there and finding out I've got a problem. I still think it would be wise to rent a C with a big overhang and see if I have any issues launching with it. There are a Cruise America RV rental location near the park entrance.

91tiger
Explorer
Explorer
hotbyte wrote:

A Seneca might have more wheel cut than an E450 which would be even better for you.

Hotbyte, I'm not sure what you mean by "more wheel cut" and how it applies to this situation. New to the bigger RV's sorry. Are you talking about turning radius? If so, not sure how that helps unless you are talking about maneuvering in a tight ramp area.

Oh, you are exactly right, the tires on my boat trailer are 14" as well. My old boat had 13's.

91tiger
Explorer
Explorer
The ramps I'm talking about really aren't that steep, They just come off of a really flat parking lot. I will be back down there fishing in 3 weeks and will study the ramps a little more then. I've never thought about using them with a bigger RV until recently. I actually have a couple of pictures of one of the ramps but I can't figure out how to post it from my iPad to this forum.

If any one that owns one of the newer style Jayco Sneca's on the International chassis is interested in a free guided fishing trip in the Everglades Park and Keys back country let me know. If we can hook my boat up to it and try to launch it at both of the Park's boat ramps (they are 100 yards apart but launch into two different bodies of water), I will be glad to take you out for a day targeting tarpon, snook, redfish, sea trout, mangrove snapper and goliath grouper. We could also chase big Lemmon and bull sharks if that's your thing. Species targeted depends on time of year. It's worth it just to see the place from the water. I'm not a Captain but I do fish it 5 weeks a year and do just as well as any Captain down there.

So if you are thinking of a trip to South Florida with your Seneca and wanted to get a free day on the water, let me know.

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
My tires are 14"...I know 'cause I just had to replace the el cheapo bias ply tire ๐Ÿ˜ž

I've launched (not all with MH) at many lake ramps here in GA and one salt water ramp at Hilton Head Island. Most don't have a straight level ground to ramp. The grade is usually has a gradual slope to it anyway so it isn't a sudden change. At least the ramps I've seen.

I'll try measure my overhang later today and will let you know what it is but my wheel wells are in front of a walk around 74" queen bed and then the corner show so just a guessing it is likely 85" for bed/walking area and 24" for shower.

A Seneca might have more wheel cut than an E450 which would be even better for you.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

Team_Triton
Explorer
Explorer
I have loaded and unloaded my 20' Tritons several times with our 31 Tioga. I have only had an issue at one ramp that was short and steep. The trailer was almost straight down and the motor home was nearly flat. When I went back the next week, I had a lower drop down hitch and no issues. That's the one I run all the time now. I will admit if we are with a hundred miles of home we take the pickup also. Just less hassle for this old man.

91tiger
Explorer
Explorer
Hotbyte, thanks for the reply. Your trailer on your Tidewater in the picture looks very similar to my boat trailer, almost exactly the same. I assume those are 13" tires on your boat trailer. Makes me feel a lot better hearing from someone who has done it with very similar rigs.

91tiger
Explorer
Explorer
That's good too hear people see Class A's launching pontoon boats, a pontoon is way more difficult to deal with than my boat.

When launching my boat, my suburban, pick up etc never gets that close to the water. The boat trailer sits low and the boat floats shallow so it comes on and off with the tires and bumper of the launch vehicle a good ways from the water. I can usually keep my feet dry when hooking the boat back up to the winch once I drive it back onto the trailer.

I'm not worried about getting the RV in the saltwater while launching. I'm more concerned about dealing with the transition from completely flat ground to a steep ramp and the boat trailer or RV bottoming out somehow. It may not be an issue and I'm over thinking it.

I probably need to rent a class C with the biggest nastiest overhang I can find and see how it is dealing with the boat.

I don't think backing it will be too bad, the guide posts on the trailer are 102" and I thought about taking somme electrical ties and putting surveyor flags on them that stick out even further so I could see them from the mirrors. Back up camera will be a big help too.

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
No problems with our class C as long as their is real estate at top of ramp to get aligned with ramp. I understand your worry about the rear of boat bottoming out but I've not experienced it and overhang on MH is pretty long.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,ve seen huge class A,s launch pontoon boats in arizona, now they have steepe ramps .no problem.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Ok - Lets compare launching with a RV VS a Suburban.

When the hitch is near the rear bumper, do you get the rear bumper wet with the Suburban? The hitch ball to bumper length is the same with the Super C and the Suburban. . .

So they will both launch the same way. Just you will have dual wheels with the motorhome. Many launch boats with motorhomes. If you have a back up camera, it REALLY helps, because the boat might be skinny compared to the width of the 102" wide RV.

Your transmission should have park in addition to using the parking brake. Yes it will hold on a boat ramp!

Have fun camping!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com