Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let Me Know if You Have Allison Transmission Fluid Questions

hzjcm8
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I've just joined Good Sam Club. I was the former Transmission Fluids Engineer at Allison Transmission. I held that position from 1990 until my retirement in 2009. Let me know if you have questions about TranSynd, the TES-295 specification or just anything to do with automatic transmission fluids. I'm here to help.
Tom Johnson
Former Transmission Fluids Engineer (Allison Transmission, Inc.)
Avon, IN 46123
237 REPLIES 237

caymann
Explorer
Explorer
Checking Oil Level (3000/4000) :

When i change transmission oil, before i drain it, i mark my dipstick to where the current cold oil level is with an exacto knife or something. I drain tranny oil cold because it is synthetic and hence flows nicely. Generally this level is far higher than what the dipstick shows as hot/cold mark. You do this once only. After draining oil, i just fill oil upto this newly marked level.

Next time , i am driving and the oil is hot enough (140F or more) and i am on a level surface, i use the allison pad and press up and dn arrow together. It counts down 7..6...1..0 and tells me OL--OK (ie oil level is good)

So i don't have to worry about warming the oil after a fill to check with the tranny pad since the oil is cold at the time and tranny pad would give you the reading.

It has worked for me for many years and i have used this method in 3000 and 4000 series allison transmissions.

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 3000 MH transmission in my 08 Camelot an will have both the filters changed at this years service. The S/N of the transmission is 6510726660 and has 100% TranSynd oil with the high capacity filters. The filter kits I've located online are P/N 29548987 for the 2" filter kit and P/N 29548988 for the 4" filter kit. Are these the correct kits for my transmission?
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

Daytonaman
Explorer
Explorer
I read thes questions frequently with a MH4000:
How to cold check the fluid from the pad.
How much fluid to add to go from cold check to hot run using dipstick marks.
How to warm the fluid enough to pad check it.
How much fluid to put back in with the second (no filter change)fill.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Hzjcm8, I have a rather unusual question. When we first bought our new coach, I could swear that I had a transmission dip stick, I know I checked it once. Then, when I took it into service for it's first 5,000 mile check up and fluid change, I went to check the dip stick and there was no dip stick, just the locking piece on the end.

When I mentioned it to the service shop, they said that they don't have dip sticks that the level is checked from the transmission pad. Again, I know I'm not crazy as I remember pulling a dip stick once when it was new.

Can I get a dip stick from Allison?

Thanks,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Desertcat921
Explorer
Explorer
I have an MCI bus with allison 740 transmission and assume I can use transynd in it too?
1988 MCI Widebody 40' Coach Conversion, 8V92TA Silver w/ Allison 740
Auto Transmission. 480 Watts Solar, Hughes Satellite Internet W/ Motosat Datastorm, Dish TV. One Cat named Monkey..

hzjcm8
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
hzjcm8 wrote:
after 10 years in the bearing industry where I did research or greases.
The one in Jamestown?

No. I worked for Link-Belt Bearing Division in Indianapolis from 1973 until 1982 and then went to Allison Transmission (Detroit Diesel Allison at the time).
Tom Johnson
Avon, IN 46123

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
hzjcm8 wrote:
after 10 years in the bearing industry where I did research or greases.
The one in Jamestown?
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

hzjcm8
Explorer
Explorer
SpinRite wrote:
Hi, hzjcm8,

If using this method:
1. Drain old Dexron and re-fill with Transynd.
2. Remove return hose from transmission cooler and aim it into a bucket.
3. Have a helper start engine, then shut it down as soon as you see fluid color going into the bucket change over to Transynd.
4. Re-connect hose, top off with Transynd.

Does this only replace the fluid in the cooler, or does it also take care of the torque converter?

Spinrite,

Your technique is OK (kind of like a flushing machine but better). Just make sure you get the cooler hoses tight. Your technique gets everything (sump, torque converter, cooler, cooler lines). As soon as you start the engine the transmission pump is turning and will pump fluid through the torque converter and to the "converter out" circuit which is "cooler in".

No problem !!!

PS: The reason I didn't mention this is because most folks won't go to the measure and Allison doesn't recommend it for most people. The double drain does the same thing.
Tom Johnson
Avon, IN 46123

SpinRite
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, hzjcm8,

If using this method:
1. Drain old Dexron and re-fill with Transynd.
2. Remove return hose from transmission cooler and aim it into a bucket.
3. Have a helper start engine, then shut it down as soon as you see fluid color going into the bucket change over to Transynd.
4. Re-connect hose, top off with Transynd.

Does this only replace the fluid in the cooler, or does it also take care of the torque converter?
'94 Holiday Rambler Navigator
38', Cummins 8.3 300hp, Allison 3060
pushed by a 2005 Honda Element

hzjcm8
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:
I'm always interested in how a person gets into a job.

How did you work your way into your position?

I joined Allison after 10 years in the bearing industry where I did research or greases. I took the Transmission Fluids Engineer position after the previous person went to S. America. So, I sort of drifted into it.

Hope this answers your question sufficiently
Tom Johnson
Avon, IN 46123

hzjcm8
Explorer
Explorer
darrelorn wrote:
I have a 1000 series six speed Allison in a 2011 Workhorse chassis. When hot, fluid is a little above the cold mark. How many quarts/liters needed to bring into hot range? Who should have filled this transmission properly, Allison or Workhorse. Thanks.

Allison only fills to final test the transmission before it's shipped. Once it gets to the vehicle builder, then the engine is connected the hoses are installed and the whole system is topped off. If's it's low then it's the RV builders fault.

PS: I'm "guessing" you're a quart of two low. But, add a quart and check the dipstick.
Tom Johnson
Avon, IN 46123

ticat900
Explorer
Explorer
gswcgi wrote:
I have a 2003 DP I bought new with an Allison 3000 transmission and a CAT 3126E engine. The Allison came out of the Monaco factory with Transynd in it. The Allison manual said I should change the fluid at 5,000 miles including the filters, which I did. I was lead to believe that the fluid did not have to be changed again until 150,000 miles. I now have 38,000 miles on the rig. Should I change the fluid and filters now? Is Transynd in the Allison transmission not good for 150,000 miles? Thanks for your expertise.

I had a 2002 Allison 3000 with transynd and no where do I read to change trans oil in 5000 miles.I would consider changing the filters around 30K miles and topping off but thats it.NO way do u change allison transynd oil at 5000 miles.Never

hzjcm8
Explorer
Explorer
wilanddij wrote:
An alternative to this to convert from Dexron to Transynd is to drain and fill with Transynd, run two years, and drain and fill with Transynd again.
For each drain & fill, how much fluid would I need for an Allison 1000 (4speed w/OD) tranny?

This is OK but you won't be getting the full benefits of TranSynd, both the oxidation resistance and the viscosity stability will be effected dramatically by the DEXRON-IIIH. With only one drain and refill, you'll still have over 60% DEXRON-IIIH in the system when you consider the oil volume in the torque converter and cooler lines. Best to change it twice and be done with it. Then, you're good for the full TranSynd drain intervals. With the mix, oil analysis will show the viscosity will continue to drop.

PS: Sump capacity on a 1000 Series is 13 quarts (shallow pan) and 15 qts (deep pan). Plus any makeup for the filter.
Tom Johnson
Avon, IN 46123

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I'm always interested in how a person gets into a job.

How did you work your way into your position?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

darrelorn
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1000 series six speed Allison in a 2011 Workhorse chassis. When hot, fluid is a little above the cold mark. How many quarts/liters needed to bring into hot range? Who should have filled this transmission properly, Allison or Workhorse. Thanks.