cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lift pump issues

Whaler
Explorer
Explorer
We plan to resume traveling soon after time away due to family comittments. Replacing tires, batteries, shocks, filters and fluids on our 01 NRV Carribean. We replaced the lift pump a few days ago. All seemed well until I went to have tires replaced. As I was parking for the tire work the motor chugged and died. Checked for wif and filter which was clean. I cycled the lift pump three times and it started. Had a one jerk of engine on trip home. Once home we checked connections and filter again. My mechanic friend tapped the pump while MH was running and it would sputter and die. Has anyone had issues with new lift pumps or similar expriences. The old one was working fine but was over 16 years old. I am putting it back on to see what happens. I always thought the lift pump only cycled fuel to the injector pump then went off. Hoping this isn't an injector pump issue. Cummins had a lot of bad vp44's and this one has already been replaced. This is on a 5.9 cummins. Might add to that alternater isn't putting out as much voltage as it should either just in case there is a connection.
3 REPLIES 3

gswcgi
Explorer
Explorer
The lift pump on my 2003 Cummins died at 167,000 miles last month. The engine quit twice while running at 60 mph within 2 days. Cummins dealer couldn't find the problem as the engine wouldn't quit when it was towed into them. Finally ran a new software program and got "4 hits" on it. The lift pump was having intermittent shorts and finally showed up on their software. Cost me $ 1,700.00 to replace !!!
'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had issues with new lift pumps or similar expriences

Lift pump and VP44 are known problems on the mighty 5.9. If you take it to a shop be careful. I was on the road away from my mechanic and ended up spending a fortune because of poor workmanship and miscommunication between Spanish and English.

If no codes, check out FASS or Airdog for lift pump alterative. Alternator...have it tested

My fuel system is out right now on 2001 dodge. Waiting for "big line" fuel module.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
The lift pump should maintain positive pressure to the VP44 at all times. LP failure is the leading killer for that injection pump.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...