cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking at the Pleasure-Way Ascent

StephCamp
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking closely at the Pleasure-Way Ascent right now, a class B built on the shorter MB chassis.

We would appreciate any feedback on this unit, mostly about storage space, maintenance costs for the diesel engine, and popular options that we should consider when we will buy. We were also wondering about the availability of a bug screen for the back and side doors (and even for the windows).

And to put you in context, we plan to use this unit to visit the country and to drive it on a daily basis. Downsizing from a class C is important to us: it will be easier to drive into cities and to visit crowded areas. There will be the two of us most of the time, but our 2 teens will probably do trips with us occasionally (and they will bring their own tent!). We also spend most of our time outside.

Thanks.
16 REPLIES 16

Aly
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! Same year(s) chassis and coach as we have! We love ours too. We are sure you will enjoy it.
2016 Ascent

StephCamp
Explorer
Explorer
Well we finally purchased the 2016 Pleasure-Way Ascent on the 2015 chassis (Yes we are lucky to have those swivelling front seats!!). And we are already impressed with the built quality and the comfortable ride. It's an awesome coach!

Thanks to all for your ideas and comments. They were all helpful!

Aly
Explorer
Explorer
We live on a small island and the van is kept on the mainland in a secured garage. So, I can’t measure that for you, sorry. There isn’t a ton of room in there but we are able to get some rubbermaid totes fit in under the rear seat. They are the 1/2 size totes, about 14” in height. The wet bath works for us, but again, it’s easy to get ‘2-foot-itis,’ looking at the larger/longer vans. If we wanted to keep our truck, and the van would only be used for camping, then we may have opted for a PW Class B+. There are lots of compromises in an Ascent, but the ‘driving’ feature for us was how short it was, but still had a proper sleeping area and the PW quality. The Sprinter van chassis was also non-negotiable. The Promaster gearing, lack of towing capacity, etc, just wouldn’t work for us. Our 2016 van was built on a 2015 MB chassis, so we do have the swivel seats. When we learned that the new 2016 chassis’s did not have the swivels, we did a factory order and got one of the last two 2015 chassis’s remaining. Personally, not having the ability to swivel the passenger seat would in my opinion take away from the Ascents usability. However, you can leave the table in place with the twin bed configuration, so you always have a sitting area available.
2016 Ascent

StephCamp
Explorer
Explorer
I really appreciate all the replies. Thank you all.

Quick questions on details for the Ascent:
- For Aly: Could you tell me the depth (from the back doors) and the height of the storage space beneath the sofa in inches? I notice the new (and great) battery, but I wonder how much room there is left back there. Could you also tell me about the usability of the bathroom, mainly the shower?
- For Fastpaddler: I notice that in the 2016 Ascent, the passager seat no longer swivel. Would you find that missing feature a bad thing?

I finally notice the Cross Wind Assist on the short Sprinter chassis. That will probably be a welcoming feature.

Thanks again.

Aly
Explorer
Explorer
Hi gang.

We purchased a 2016 Ascent, for the very reason to use it as our only vehicle. Although, we only use a vehicle maybe once a week at most, and we are on the Sunshine Coast, where not a lot of chemicals get put on the road over the winter season. I am going to coat the bottom of the unit with fluid film, which I will do once it warms up a bit. The Ascent has been great so far. It is easy to get around in and fits where we need it to fit. The Ascent replaced our newer Ford F150 Supercrew 4x4, so the length is the same.

I won’t comment on the Promaster chassis, or the other PW models as it really is a personal choice and your comfort level with the chassis manufacturer, etc. All I can tell you from experience is that for a ‘daily driver,’ the Ascent was the only real contender and it is working out very well.
2016 Ascent

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
StephCamp wrote:
It's been a while since I looked at this post. Thank you very much dmichaelwells for sharing yours thoughts on the Ascent. And since we visited the Pleasure-Way manufacturer last summer in Saskatoon, we're also considering the Plateau FL.

Spring time is almost there, and it's bringing RV fever back! 😉
Any comment comparing these 2 models will help us.

We were based and lived in Ottawa for many years. the Plateau versions are very good. We had a Pleasure-way Plateau TS 2006 which we just sold. Excellent. We were amazed at how much stuff we unpacked from it before it was sold. Sold, well appointed, high quality, economical,drives like a car and you can park them easily in small shopping plazas. The Ascent is very nice for sure. The Plateaus are a little bigger but the extra room is handy too. Cheers
AL

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
I really don;t know, a big part of our choice ( 2006 Lexor TD) was the Chev chassis.
Proven and plentiful parts and repairs anywhere- I have GM's so the layout of the chassis was a known.

These factors make my own cost of ownership much lower than average.

so apples/oranges.

when we started shopping I was pro-Sprinter and anti-Ford v10. The sprinter we test drove was wonderful...the quality of the conversion was shockingly bad (2009 era). I had long rented fords vans for work and don;t much like them or the MPG

For any of the newer van offerings- I'll be waiting to see how they do in use.

I remain very happy with the quality of the PW conversion- and mine is now almost 10 years old- everything works ! The Chev has about 95K on it and no repairs- just oil, lube, filters, tires and gas.
And I would look at PW again. I will be in Saskatoon in May and hope to visit the factory if my time allows.

Mike

StephCamp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing this @mkguitar. Would you consider the new Lexor model on Promaster if you would buy again?

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
Went up in July/Aug to see my Mom in Blackburn Hamlet- my Sister was also visiting ( and in guest room) so we stayed in our PW in the driveway...power cord into the garage.

We then moved to the PQ side where my Brother has a lake house...another extension cord and we were snug and happy.

My little Grand Nieces and Nephews loved the B...we watched movies.

A fun fun way to escape the heat of Arizona in the summer and have some quality time with multiple generations.

We also much enjoyed MI and Upstate NY, Niagara and Western Ont.

Wouldn;t have been half the experience without the PW

Mike

StephCamp
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a while since I looked at this post. Thank you very much dmichaelwells for sharing yours thoughts on the Ascent. And since we visited the Pleasure-Way manufacturer last summer in Saskatoon, we're also considering the Plateau FL.

Spring time is almost there, and it's bringing RV fever back! 😉
Any comment comparing these 2 models will help us.

dmichaelwells
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I own a 2010 Pleasure-Way Ascent that I purchased used from a RV dealership in Florida in October of 2013. I did a lot of research on it before purchasing. Since then we have used it for multiple camping trips, the most recent a two week trip to the South West (Death Valley, Scottsdale, Cave Creek) to and from our home in Oregon. We both enjoy it very much. The positives: Easy to handle and park and has great visibility. While it is a Pleasure-Way, it is really a Mercedes Sprinter (in our case, a 2008). It should be extremely reliable and long-lasting. We expect to get over 150,000 miles on it. We have been averaging about 20 miles to the gallon of diesel. P W does a good job of interior "fit and finish" however, I cannot speak to models later than 2010. The interior used "ultra leather" and memory foam which makes for very comfortable seating and sleeping. The cabinetry is a mix of maple and high quality plastic veneer. There are 5 cabinets above (one above the kitchen galley). There are two drawers in that galley and three other side door opening cabinets). There is a tiny coat or shirt closet. I have modified the upper kitchen cabinet to store vertically plastic dishes and paper plates and use what space is available in the cabinets providing access to the water pump and water heater. I have also maximized the storage spaces under the sofa/bed.
Negatives: Storage space is at a premium. We store a number of items in the bathroom which is tiny even for my wife and I who are small people. When we park for the night, the trash container and other items get put into the front driving compartment. I am a neatness freak, and have to tolerate clothing and other miscellaneous stuff cluttering the front when parked. Because it has a number of systems on it (plumbing and electrical being the main ones) it helps to be "handy." I have a tool kit stored in the back. I have had to make minor repairs on nearly every trip. Every thing gets loosened with the vibrations from traveling.
I have a number of suggestions for you if you seriously are pursuing purchasing a P W, including buying a used one. Just let me know. Best of luck.

StephCamp
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you mkguitar for the screen kits info. And I will need to think twice about driving the PW regularly in winter.
Any feedback on storage space, maintenance costs for the diesel engine and options we should consider for that particular model?

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. Daily driving is fine in Ontario--I lived in Ottawa, but I don't recommend it in winter. Salt and other road corrosives can do a lot of damage. Otherwise, it is a neat unit which you should love.
AL

booster
Explorer
Explorer
If you are thinking about using it for a daily driver in an area with road salt, it makes the question much harder. There are lots of parts under a class b that are not well protected against rust, including wiring, plumbing, valves, etc. You may want to try to find someone who has done that kind of use with a Pleasure-way. Corrosion can be a very big issue down the road.