cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

milage on a diesel engine

Cooncatz
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering purchasing a Class C RV with a diesel 7.3 L engine with 150,000 miles - What is considered excess mileage? I know diesels are suppose to stand up better than gas engines? Is 150,000 miles excessive?
10 REPLIES 10

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Anyone who knows Ford PSD engines will take the 7.3 over the newer 6.0 or 6.4 every day. There are plenty out there with 500,000+ miles that have never been worked on... OK, maybe a new cam sensor or new glow plug relay.

X2------Having one in a 2001, it is not as loud as a cummings and rivals in power with some of them if a certain chip is installed.
My mechanic wanted mine when I trade but I told him I would NOT trade mine even for a new one. I'm serious about that folks.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the record, the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel in the E350/E450 is an engine to AVOID owning. It was a short-lived offering for a very good reason.

I heard good things about the older 7.3L diesel engine.

MikeJinCO
Explorer
Explorer
The typical life of the automatic transmission used with the 7.3 was 150K to 175 K miles and they are about $4000. Water pumps averaged 200k miles.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
I'd worry more about the rest of the RV being worn out. The Ford 7.3 is well-regarded and generally a very reliable engine, if somewhat anemic in power and loud.

X2, diesels go for a LONG time. The rest of the coach is the thing to check. However we are talking the ENGINE parts only, not external engine parts like the alternator, water pump, etc.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
On a 7.3L you'll be running into age issues, not miles issues, at that point. Assuming it has proper maintenance.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is not too many miles on the 7.3 diesel, oilfield service fleets around here operating the type usually traded at around 200,000 to 300,000 miles (which might be 3-5 years).

It depends really on how many more miles you plan to put on it. At 5000 miles a year you could be looking at another 10 years of service. 50,000 miles a year, maybe a couple more years. Even then, what is going to be wearing out will be drivetrain parts behind the engine, not the engine itself.

As others have noted, for a C motorhome with that many miles, you need to be looking at the condition of the house. But even there, a lot of time on the road is not necessarily an issue, some RV rental operations used to order C motorhomes constructed such that they could lift the house off a worn-out chassis (200,000 + miles for gassers) and drop it on a new one.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Also agree that the engine is probably not an issue...but 150K on an RV is a LOT of miles and there could be a lot of stuff shaken apart by now. Depending on how 'dynamicly' the previous owner drove, even the structure of the body could be getting compromised, especially around the roof-wall area causing leaks. Once you start heading towards 200K miles you're looking at why people spend big bucks on Prevosts and the like...

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
You don't say what year the RV/7.3 motor are. Ford continued the 7.3 into the 2009 (2010 model year) in the EconoLine van. If pre-DEF, it would be even better. Like Drew, though, I would be worried about the rest of the RV. How well was it cared for and does the seller have maintenance records.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Anyone who knows Ford PSD engines will take the 7.3 over the newer 6.0 or 6.4 every day. There are plenty out there with 500,000+ miles that have never been worked on... OK, maybe a new cam sensor or new glow plug relay.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd worry more about the rest of the RV being worn out. The Ford 7.3 is well-regarded and generally a very reliable engine, if somewhat anemic in power and loud.