cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My pet peeve on Class B Plus

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
I can understand calling a Class B a plus when it is a VAN with popping out sidewalls. Now a normal parking space sizes.

For parallel parking spaces, the standard width is 7.9 feet or 2.4 meters while the standard length is 20 feet or 6.1 meters. They are usually marked 6.9 feet to 7.9 feet or 2.1 meters to 2.4 meters wide. Inclusive of the entry and exit maneuvering, the standard length ranges from 22 feet to 26 feet or 6.7 meters to 7.9 meters.For parallel parking spaces, the standard width is 7.9 feet or 2.4 meters while the standard length is 20 feet or 6.1 meters. They are usually marked 6.9 feet to 7.9 feet or 2.1 meters to 2.4 meters wide. Inclusive of the entry and exit maneuvering, the standard length ranges from 22 feet to 26 feet or 6.7 meters to 7.9 meters. Standard sizes of Parking Spaces.

So how can you call any van over 25'-foot long a Class B? I have seen 30' long Class B+. I'm sorry there should be a standard for what is a true class B+.

Now you may be asking yourself why would it matter? I could post 100s of pictures of vehicles "TRYING" to make their oversized RV fit into a normal parking space, I'm sorry this is just wrong to me. I can tell most of the parking spaces has a standard 26'foot long. But someone will come along and claim there RV is a Class B. But taking a closer look will show it's 30'-foot long and you tell them this is a CLass B PLUS Not a Class B and they still don't get or understand what is normal or standard, even if it BLOCKS you in for 2-hours longer than you wanted to stay in your space.

All my life I have seen bad actors who put up a little fight will get there way every time at first. At some point a law, the rule is changed to affect everyone, Just because this one person wanted to park and BLOCK everyone in.

I'm sorry this Class B "plus" is just wrong, as a 30'long RV is a class C and anything wider than 7'-the foot is a Class C in my book.

We need reform of RV Classifications and if we do not do it. At some point, it will be done for us and without any feedback and from folks who have no idea what RV means.

I feel better now thanks for letting me vent.
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?
15 REPLIES 15

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
AsheGuy wrote:
They both are RV conversions using a chassis that came from the factory as a van so they are both Class Bs. No confusion except for whoever wrote the statement you are quoting.

Hey AsheGuy... Actually the 200 is by the definitions, a C because it was on a cab/chassis. Of course it is pretty moot as there weren't that many made and they haven't been made for 15 or 16 years now. I don't know if I have ever even seen one. I guess the 210 replaced it.

But, I'd also guess that none of them would be stopped from joining our Group B rallies. :C
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
so "
Like the Roadtrek 200 being a C and the Roadtrek 210 being a B, this is confusing and just plain silly." one could be in your "club" and the other couldn't?
bumpy
They both are RV conversions using a chassis that came from the factory as a van so they are both Class Bs. No confusion except for whoever wrote the statement you are quoting.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
AsheGuy wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
and all of this B, B+, C- etc makes any difference???????????
bumpy
It does to groups associated to the different classes of RVs. There is no point in having such a group unless there is a clear definition of what RVs are a part of the group.

This forum is one example and it is properly named "Camping Van Conversions" that caters to Class B owners, although activity on this forum has almost come to a halt.

Another example is the Annual Class B Rally that has to limit attendance to what most RV parks can handle. Small Class C's have to be declined as there are always more true class Bs than can be handled.

B-Rally website
B-Rally FB Group

so "
Like the Roadtrek 200 being a C and the Roadtrek 210 being a B, this is confusing and just plain silly." one could be in your "club" and the other couldn't?
bumpy

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy
It does to groups associated to the different classes of RVs. There is no point in having such a group unless there is a clear definition of what RVs are a part of the group.

This forum is one example and it is properly named "Camping Van Conversions" that caters to Class B owners, although activity on this forum has almost come to a halt.

Another example is the Annual Class B Rally that has to limit attendance to what most RV parks can handle. Small Class C's have to be declined as there are always more true class Bs than can be handled.

B-Rally website
B-Rally FB Group
- Our Blog -

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy

Lorne_Lorraine
Explorer
Explorer
studio_driver wrote:
Regarding the older Pleasure-Way Excel, it was delivered at the time from the chassis manufacturer as a Ford E-350 van so it is clearly a Class B, even if part of the body was cut-out and widened by the converter. If it had been delivered as a cab only, it would have been considered a Class C.
There is no need to revise the definitions.

So the end result would essentially be exactly the same in both cases (wheel base might have been a bit different if the cut away chassis used) yet one would be a B and the other way would be a C.

Like the Roadtrek 200 being a C and the Roadtrek 210 being a B, this is confusing and just plain silly.

Definitions should be revised.

I wonder if the RVIA definitions were established to address manufacturing issues and therefor don't always translate as well as they should to the consumer end.

If one ends up with the exact same product, it doesn't make sense to label it as a different class for consumer purposes.

B+ could be dealt with the same way. Oh wait, in practice the retail industry and the consumer has pretty much done that for us whether we like it or not.

Getting with the times would probably reduce confusion.

No such thing as a B+? It's a mirage!
Lorne Ross
2003 Pleasure-Way Ford Excel TD
Camped the lower 48 states and 9 provinces
Most multiple times and now on the repeat!

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
The RVIA RV Class definitions as posted above by mumkin have been repeatedly posted on this forum many times. Nonetheless people still choose to contribute their own two cents worth. The RV marketing people are the ones that contribute to the confusion by using the "B+" alternative that has no real definition but I guess they think it will help sales of their small Class C by implying smallness or something. A so called B+ (there is no definition for a B+) is simply a Class C on the small end of a Class C's length range. It comes up in this forum a lot because posters do not use the correct forum for their RV's class when posting. You won't find B+ mentioned anywhere on the RVIA website.
- Our Blog -

studio_driver
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding the older Pleasure-Way Excel, it was delivered at the time from the chassis manufacturer as a Ford E-350 van so it is clearly a Class B, even if part of the body was cut-out and widened by the converter. If it had been delivered as a cab only, it would have been considered a Class C.
There is no need to revise the definitions.
2007 PW Excel TS
2 adults

Lorne_Lorraine
Explorer
Explorer
(the oddity being the Roadtrek 210 which left the factory as a van, and Roadtrek cut off the van body - leaving the doors - and added a wider body. Not sure if anyone else ever did this)

Ah, the old A, B, B+, and C debates.

Pleasure-Way (Excel models) and others cut off the van body for years. All Bs.

The actual oddity may be the Roadtrek 200 built on a cut-away chassis. It looks like a B and quacks like a B but would be a C according to the RVIA definitions.

I think the B+ has established itself. Most know one when they see it regardless of the RVIA definitions. It's not hard to define and has been done so many times on this forum. Regardless of how the B+ term originated, the RVIA definitions should be updated. But whether they are or are not would make little practical difference, except perhaps to reduce debate. It is what it is regardless of what it is called.
Lorne Ross
2003 Pleasure-Way Ford Excel TD
Camped the lower 48 states and 9 provinces
Most multiple times and now on the repeat!

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
It was a pleasure to read Mumkim's response to this. There are so many RVers who don't understand the real difference between a Class B and a Class C......and that there is no such thing as a Class B+ .

I was one of them and having read MUNKIN post about the RVIA. I want to learn more. Everything falls into place knowing this. Having checked out the site it's not free, so I can not post the site information.

Thanks for everyone's help.
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
It was a pleasure to read Mumkim's response to this. There are so many RVers who don't understand the real difference between a Class B and a Class C......and that there is no such thing as a Class B+ .
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Far from an expert on the topic, but most of the B+ RVs I have seen are short Class Cs with no upper berth.

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
WOW, the BEST answer to my question and I did learn a few things. OUTSTANDING MUMKIN.

DID not know there was a standard set by RVIA. Don't you just love sales folks who will do anything for the SELL? EVEN make up a vehicle CLASS. This may be why SALES folks and myself do not get along very well. SNAKE OIL SALES I call it. Thanks again for the wonderful feedback.