cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My pet peeve on Class B Plus

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
I can understand calling a Class B a plus when it is a VAN with popping out sidewalls. Now a normal parking space sizes.

For parallel parking spaces, the standard width is 7.9 feet or 2.4 meters while the standard length is 20 feet or 6.1 meters. They are usually marked 6.9 feet to 7.9 feet or 2.1 meters to 2.4 meters wide. Inclusive of the entry and exit maneuvering, the standard length ranges from 22 feet to 26 feet or 6.7 meters to 7.9 meters.For parallel parking spaces, the standard width is 7.9 feet or 2.4 meters while the standard length is 20 feet or 6.1 meters. They are usually marked 6.9 feet to 7.9 feet or 2.1 meters to 2.4 meters wide. Inclusive of the entry and exit maneuvering, the standard length ranges from 22 feet to 26 feet or 6.7 meters to 7.9 meters. Standard sizes of Parking Spaces.

So how can you call any van over 25'-foot long a Class B? I have seen 30' long Class B+. I'm sorry there should be a standard for what is a true class B+.

Now you may be asking yourself why would it matter? I could post 100s of pictures of vehicles "TRYING" to make their oversized RV fit into a normal parking space, I'm sorry this is just wrong to me. I can tell most of the parking spaces has a standard 26'foot long. But someone will come along and claim there RV is a Class B. But taking a closer look will show it's 30'-foot long and you tell them this is a CLass B PLUS Not a Class B and they still don't get or understand what is normal or standard, even if it BLOCKS you in for 2-hours longer than you wanted to stay in your space.

All my life I have seen bad actors who put up a little fight will get there way every time at first. At some point a law, the rule is changed to affect everyone, Just because this one person wanted to park and BLOCK everyone in.

I'm sorry this Class B "plus" is just wrong, as a 30'long RV is a class C and anything wider than 7'-the foot is a Class C in my book.

We need reform of RV Classifications and if we do not do it. At some point, it will be done for us and without any feedback and from folks who have no idea what RV means.

I feel better now thanks for letting me vent.
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?
15 REPLIES 15

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
A topic that has been debated regularly here for the last 15 years or so since I've been reading. Many wish to define the terms by their opinions.

According to RVIA, who sets the standards, descriptions, and definitions, there are only 3 options which are clearly defined: Class A, B, & C. There is no such thing as a B+ which is a term created by some salesman who thought that it sounded better than C- which is what it could more accurately be called. It is merely a Class C without a bed over the cab.

If it started as a cab chassis/cutaway and ends up with a house built on the back, it is a Class C.

If it came out of the manufacturer as a van (Ford E-350, Chevy, Promaster, Sprinter, Transit), it is a Class B.

It has nothing to do with size or opinions or a bed over the cab. (my first B had a bed over the cab). If it started as a legitimate van, it's a B, if it didn't, it's not.

(the oddity being the Roadtrek 210 which left the factory as a van, and Roadtrek cut off the van body - leaving the doors - and added a wider body. Not sure if anyone else ever did this)

So, no reform is needed. The definitions are clear and have been around for years. The problem is sales PR.
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme