cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a driver for my motorhome (possibly)

Desertfoxie
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone...this is my first post. We are Snowbirds in SW Arizona heading back to Michigan around mid-May BUT i am thinking that for the first time ever we might need to investigate hiring a driver for our class A motorhome due to the fact that my husband has started getting TIAs (mini-strokes) and I am worried in case he gets one while driving us 2200 miles home. Any advice or suggestions as to what I should do? I dont know where to look to find a driver...we belong to Good Sams but since it is not a medical on-the-road emergency they cant help me but did suggest using the forum here as a starting place. So any ideas would be appreciated. (We have seen the doctors and had the tests, but there is nothing medically to be done for prevention except take the blood thinners which he is doing...and he has had two more TIAs recently. It is scary..suppose he has one while driving?...it only takes a second to lose control of your Big Rig).
16 REPLIES 16

Desertfoxie
Explorer
Explorer
I just want to take a moment to thank everybody who responded to my plea for help...both on this forum and privately.

Due to your wonderul suggestions, I was able to find a solution to my problem.

Take care everybody....gotta love RV people!! 🙂

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
We are facing a similar situation - different circumstances and not coverable by the GS take it home plan.

I'm training my 35 yo daughter (very capable) and a friend the basics of the coach in a campsite and getting them some experience driving it. If I need to abandon the RV in a campground and fly home, I'll send them to go get it. I'm working on some other contingencies as well, but I just hope it all comes together when I need it too.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
So I understand the need for a short term fix, but what happens when you get the rig home? Will you travel South again and if so this same problem doesn't sound like it's going away. I think a longer term solution needs to be thought out. If you plan to continue travelling, it would be easier and cheaper to store the rig where it is now and travel via plane or car back and forth. If you look hard at the situation, maybe it makes sense to hang up the keys and sell it. And selling it where you are might be easier than lugging it home and selling it there. Hard choices but having someone drive your rig back and forth is not an optimal long term solution.
2013 ACE 29.2

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Desertfoxie wrote:
Hello Everyone...this is my first post. We are Snowbirds in SW Arizona heading back to Michigan around mid-May BUT i am thinking that for the first time ever we might need to investigate hiring a driver for our class A motorhome due to the fact that my husband has started getting TIAs (mini-strokes) and I am worried in case he gets one while driving us 2200 miles home. Any advice or suggestions as to what I should do? I dont know where to look to find a driver...we belong to Good Sams but since it is not a medical on-the-road emergency they cant help me but did suggest using the forum here as a starting place. So any ideas would be appreciated. (We have seen the doctors and had the tests, but there is nothing medically to be done for prevention except take the blood thinners which he is doing...and he has had two more TIAs recently. It is scary..suppose he has one while driving?...it only takes a second to lose control of your Big Rig).

Good Sam offers just what you are asking for, "Good Sam TravelAssist". In the event of a medical issue verified by a Doctor, this plan will provide for a professional driver to drive your RV back to your home. They will also fly your husband home. I think you, the wife has to pay for their own flight. The price is very reasonable and approx. $150 a year, a real bargain when a medical issue occurs.

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
Pinch Hit Driver #15

15. How does FMCA’s pinch-hit driver program work?

The purpose of this program is to assist FMCA members who encounter any type of emergency that prohibits them from driving their coach while away from home. Pinch-hit drivers are listed in the "Stoppin' Spots" section of the January Directory/Member Benefits Guide issue of FMC magazine. Stoppin' Spots participants also will turn up when you search the Member Directory online. Contact the national office for additional information about how to enlist the assistance of a pinch-hit driver or to volunteer to serve in this capacity. Or, download Pinch Hit Driver form.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
www.uship.com

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
If you belong to FMCA they have a listing of volunteer drivers.

Pinch Hit Driver

Members who are faced with an emergency situation and need someone to return their coach for them should look to this listing. Keep in mind that members who live in either the coach's current location or its destination might be of help. Also, please remember to defray any costs incurred by the Pinch Hit Driver.

-Tom, W3TLN
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would put it in covered storage in AZ and fly home for the summer and then fly back to AZ next winter and use it again.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen the comments and suggestions but will ask, Do you typically stay for an extended period in one spot? If so is a park trailer a possibility and maybe a smallish class B that you may be more comfortable driving as your travel means.
You would still get to enjoy the trip if your up to driving that, and could be more comfortable when on site in Az.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep looking you will find somebody. Check with RV dealers as suggested, also check with local RV parks. Dealers however may have people the drive them anyway. I wouldn't expect a willing driver to tote you + hubby back necessarily though. They may want to go for LONG stretches or all at once. May need to get a bus/train or fly back.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you considered selling the coach in Arizona and just renting a van for you to drive and get you and your husband and belongings back to Michigan?
Unfortunately it sort of sounds like your RVing days may be over.

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming you have no family member/s who could fly out and drive you home, I would call some RV dealers near your destination (Michigan?) and see if they can recommend someone. Or, as already suggested, secure storage for your coach in AZ, fly home, and take your time finding someone to transport your coach if you still want to do that.

If you Google 'RV Transporters' it yields several companies.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
Look in the classifieds of FMCA magazine. There are a couple guys that advertise they will relocate your coach
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I am thinking of people in the Elkhart, Indiana, area who transport for the RV manufacturers. Many only do towables, but there are people who transport motorhomes, then fly or drive their toad home. If there was someone transporting a rig to Arizona and would be willing to drive one back, that might be a possibility. Wouldn't be cheap, but would be a solution. I really don't know how to contact them other than through the transporter.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/