cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New class a Maybe

jnaugle775
Explorer
Explorer
So I got a call from the local rv dealer about a jayco precept 29um I was looking at in August. He wanted to know if he tighten the deal could we do business? So I want some Opions. Currently I have a 2011 four winds 31g bunkhouse with 28k miles. Everything is in very nice shape except I had some off leaks that needed to be caulked all fixed up now. It suit the family pretty well but does not have all the goodies the jayco offers. The dealer offered me 94500 to trade on the precept at 127k. So with my payoff and everything taken care of total bill is 95k. Is this a reasonable offer or am I gonna regret this for a long time
Thanks in advance
Jamie Naugle
2015 Jayco Precept 29um
Ford V10
2014 silverado crew cab
Blue ox Aventa lx tow bar
Rvi wireless brake system
18 REPLIES 18

Squealers
Explorer
Explorer
Lets look at reality. Is any of our RV purchases (unless you full time and sold the sticks and bricks) really reasonable? No, it's not a practical purchase. Period.

I searched for 8 months and this paid 28K below what similar rigs were priced at for the coach in my signature. A great deal, and paid cash. But it sits 10 months out of the year!!...not very practical. But when we do get the chance to use it, we LOVE the experience. So we are paying a premium for an experience. A fun and adventuresome experience.

I have a friend who rides a 20,000 dollar bike. Not a Harley, a peddle bike. Yes he does Iron Man competitions, but still, its a BIKE! It makes his experience enjoyable. Not real practical.

If this purchase improves your experience, then do it. Forget the financials (if you can afford it, and it sounds if you can) and go on your merry way happily camping.
2006 Four Winds Hurricane 34N
2014 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 Toad

USAF Veteran. 75-81 SAC "Giant Talk" ATC-
Combat Crew Communications

Squealers = Steelers & Arkansas Razorbacks Fan

smacdiesel
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Jnauble775, go for it.... you are talking about an amount that INCLUDES taxes and all the fix'ns.

People will nickel and dime your choice to death. Enjoy your new coach!

MM.

That's right, what the heck do what feels good.
2015 Winnebago Vista 35B
1983 Jeep CJ 8 Scrambler

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Jnauble775, go for it.... you are talking about an amount that INCLUDES taxes and all the fix'ns.

MM.
X-2, I totally agree with Mark! When I bought my top of the line gas Winnebago many years ago new with trade in close to the price that your at. I was looking at 93K! IMHO your in the right area there! Enjoy your new RV with the floor plans that better suit your needs!

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

jnaugle775
Explorer
Explorer
Well we have maxed our contribution to each of our 401s and have a number of rental properties turning cash flow so that was the not the main concern. The deal works out like this. I will be paying 95k for the coach out the door, includes taxes and tags also moving some of the equipment from old coach to new. I had some concerns as had a few water leaks pop up on my current coach and the floor plan is not quite what i want. I am only 2 years into it so I feel like I would rather go the term in a coach that fits my family's needs more. I like the full fiberglass roof on the jayco and the build quality appears to be much higher. I have had excellent service from the dealer on the unit I have and did not purchase if from them so I am pretty committed to having a dealer and service dept i can trust.
Jamie Naugle
2015 Jayco Precept 29um
Ford V10
2014 silverado crew cab
Blue ox Aventa lx tow bar
Rvi wireless brake system

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
They're offering you a huge trade in price and not marking theirs down. You won't get it both ways. The numbers on your trade-in sound way too good, hence the high price on the new coach.

This isn't hard. Look around at other coaches like yours and see what a REASONABLE trade in value will be, keeping in mind the dealer doesn't pay retail. 30% off the new one is unrealistic. Figure it at 25%. Do the math and see if his final number matches yours. You're going to pay a price for trading in a coach that new....be prepared to eat a little and do the deal if you want the new one.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
jnaugle775 wrote:
So I got a call from the local rv dealer about a jayco precept 29um I was looking at in August. He wanted to know if he tighten the deal could we do business? So I want some Opions. Currently I have a 2011 four winds 31g bunkhouse with 28k miles. Everything is in very nice shape except I had some off leaks that needed to be caulked all fixed up now. It suit the family pretty well but does not have all the goodies the jayco offers. The dealer offered me 94500 to trade on the precept at 127k. So with my payoff and everything taken care of total bill is 95k. Is this a reasonable offer or am I gonna regret this for a long time
Thanks in advance

If the Precept MSRP is $127K then at a 30% discount it should sell for $90K plus taxes and fees.

You owe the dealer:

$ 90K for the new rig
$ 60K for your Four Winds debt payoff.

$150k total purchase cash.

If the deal is $95K new cash paid by you plus the trade-in value, the dealer is offering you $55K for your Four Winds.

($150K minus $95K = $55K).

Is that a good deal for you and your rig?
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
To give you perspective a dealer will want to purchase your trade for $57,873 and sell it for $69,740 - $104,696 depending on condition. Some dealers want to give even less.
FMCA member

smacdiesel
Explorer
Explorer
How's your retirement portfolio looking? That extra 35k of debt and interest paid would really serve you better as retirement income when you get older.
2015 Winnebago Vista 35B
1983 Jeep CJ 8 Scrambler

C-Leigh_Racing
Explorer
Explorer
Trading is always giving them what you already have, but on paper it looks different. If your going to give your RV away, give it to someone you care about & then use it as a tax write off, then go get the one for 85K & you'll come out to the good three different ways.
Neil

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, Jayco's quality has gone down quite a lot in the time since the downturn. Check the wiring in hidden areas.
FMCA member

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you are getting that good of a deal. RV Direct has the 29UM for about $85K out the door. If you do decide to proceed I strongly recommend you get an independent inspection. Get everything in writing, sale price, trade value, anything extra including extended warranties, paint protection etc.
FMCA member

smacdiesel
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like they are being generous with the trade in and making it up with the msrp? I dislike negotiating with a trade in for this very reason. Try to think this through rationally, maybe take a break from it and revisit when your emotions subside.
2015 Winnebago Vista 35B
1983 Jeep CJ 8 Scrambler

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
that doesnt sound good, like the one guy said, you should be paying around 90 for the new unit. you say you have around 30 equity in the old one, better think this through a bit more
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar