cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New NMH designs

mygsds
Explorer
Explorer
We have started a search for a newer MH to replace our 2000 Bounder. Looking at 2012 or newer but having trouble finding the same great features we have on the Bounder.
Looked at a Thor yesterday that was a great price and nice unit with full side slide and king bed but horrible windows - had those pup out little vents that give almost no air flow. Had to convince the salesman that air flow is important and these nice looking flat windows dont give any...so need sliders.
Also hard to find a unit with windows on the slide ends in the living area..also a must for us. We dry camp a lot and need that air flow.
The sales guy was all happy to show us it had an outside kitchen and tv and disappointed when I told him I didn't want that but wanted storage outside instead. Again when we dry camp reception is almost non existent so don't need a tv outside.

Seems this and a few other units we saw were very showy but not very practical for our needs, When I look at all we have on the Bounder I realize we got a lot for our money. Im happy with it but hubby wants new.

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Pat
Pat and Ron and 1 wild agility GSD
2015 Fleetwood Bounder 35K
11 REPLIES 11

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know what you mean about the windows I have the Jalousie Windows and they flow a lot of air without letting any rain in. I think we get used to some things and like certain features and get disappointed when we can't find them. The older bounders also had 100 gals of FW which is hard to find in a shorter gas MH. Outdoor TV's, and indoor fireplaces take up a lot of storage space and are not very useful if you dry camp.

Mike_and_Trish
Explorer
Explorer
mygsds wrote:
thanks for the tip n the Thor full slide issue..did like the king bed..would fit us and the German Shepherds easily.
Pat

The problems with Thor units with full wall slides is limited to those with Schwintek electric drive, used on Palazzos and maybe some other lower-end models. It seems that the Schwintek mechanism (at least as originally used in those units) isn't up to handling the weight of a full-wall slide.

On the newer Tuscanys (like ours), they used Schwintek for the smaller slides, but a traditional hydraulic drive for the full-wall. We've had no problems with either, in 15 months and 12,000 miles.

Some don't like full-wall slides, but we love it, and have had one on our last two coaches. It really opens up the floor plan, and eliminates any bottleneck in the middle of the coach.
Mike and Trish
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee on Blue Ox Aventa LX
Yorkiepoos - Janis and Jimi

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We traveled in a 36 foot Southwind for 110,000 miles over 8 years and loved it. When we were shopping we thought dinette booth was the only way to go. Two TVs were more than enough and who needs a washer/dryer, that's what campground laundries are for.

Our Phaeton has ll of the above and we have come to love it all, well the 4th TV is a bit of overkill 🙂 I doubt DW would be happy without her W/D ever again. and the Dining table with freestanding chairs and computer desk built in is the greatest. I doubt we will ever buy another coach, but you never know.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

-Gramps-
Explorer
Explorer
After visiting close to sixty new coaches at the recent FMCA GEAR rally in Asheville, I have come to the conclusion that unless one spends close to 300,00 bucks for a coach, a good floor plan with good features is hard to get. I found nothing under that price that I like as much as the coach I have now.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
Doubt you see any sort of customization like that on entry level or even mid level models though. Until you get into higher end they are set up on assembly, one after the other. .

yep, years back when I was looking at Foretravels, IIRC they would not modify the basic model. they would on the top 2 models.
bumpy

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I don't understand why a manufacturer cant make minor changes to suit a buyers needs. Different kind of window, delete outside kitchen and leave empty space. It's not rocket science especially when a simple CAD change is most of the work.

They can and will. Depends on the manufacturer and the depth of your pockets. Doubt you see any sort of customization like that on entry level or even mid level models though. Until you get into higher end they are set up on assembly, one after the other. Even small changes affect everything from parts ordering to line assembly. Mid and entry level are about quantity of sales for mass market, not customization. That's a whole different manufacturing model.
2013 ACE 29.2

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I don't understand why a manufacturer cant make minor changes to suit a buyers needs. Different kind of window, delete outside kitchen and leave empty space. It's not rocket science especially when a simple CAD change is most of the work.

I'm sure somebody would be glad to custom build/alter a RV, but the $$$$$$$S would be out of line.
when I was interested in modifying a Winnebago MH they would build one per standard specs. then move it to a separate on site facility for customization. got the price, didn't modify. I didn't want the slide awnings as I wanted the type that come out over the slideout and then further out and down to shade the window. they would delete the standard slide awnings but give me no credit.
bumpy

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

mygsds
Explorer
Explorer
The oven I can live without but the sliding windows are a must for the way we use it..cant compromise there. We will go check out more when we come back south in January and hubby is looking at floorplans online. There are some things I can give on and some that are absolute must haves. We have had a trailer with the pop out windows and will not go fr them ever again so I know that will limit my choices..but thanks for the tip n the Thor full slide issue..did like the king bed..would fit us and the German Shepherds easily.
Pat
Pat and Ron and 1 wild agility GSD
2015 Fleetwood Bounder 35K

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Why not buy another Bounder. They have been a great coach since they were first introduced. As you get closer to picking a particular brand/model, come back here and do a search on that model. Thor is a big manufacturer and makes several models/levels of rigs, but has had some issues with their full wall slide models.

Take a look at the Tiffin, Newmar and Winnebago gas lines. They're all well made.

We just bought a new coach after owning our last one for 9 years. The first impulse is to replace your old coach with the exact same features in the new coach. Your old coach is 14 years old and a lot of things have changed. As an example, our old coach had the sliding windows and our new coach has the pop out as you are describing and dislike. I agree with your assessment that they don't flow as much air, but in the bigger picture of things, it just wasn't something that would make or break the sale.

The new windows flow enough air and we now open the driver's window which slides. Shop with an open mind and don't get hung up on little things. I'll bet that you just have to have an oven like your Bounder had. Well.....very few coaches come with ovens anymore. We rarely used ours in our Class C years ago, and love our convection unit.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

kab449
Explorer
Explorer
I like mine. See signature.
2017 Heartland Bighorn 3160Elite/2017 F250 Lariat Ultimate
2018 Coachmen Galleria 24Q Class B Mercedes Van
Keith & Brenda
Marley the Maltese
Central PA