Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan Gen Shuts Off

jmcgilvary
Explorer
Explorer
02 Fleetwood Bounder 36'
Onan 5KW

For some reason, of late, the Generator starts, carries a load (A/C's) but after 10-15 minutes, it shuts off.
No idea why.
Plenty of fuel, nothing has changed in the configuration in the last 3 years.
'Thoughts? Tips?
Thanks
24 REPLIES 24

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
The small fuel pumps get damaged by the ethanol and start to fail or overheat.

Inexpensive and quite simple to replace.

Another good upgrade is to add a relay and "Prime" button that provides power directly to the fuel pump from the battery connectors on the generator.

Press and hold the button until the Clackity-Clack sounds like poof-poof (sorry for the 'technical' terminology, LOL ) and then let off the button and start your generator.

It will prime the line, confirm proper fuel pump action, alert you to odd sounds indicating fuel or line problems, and lead to much easier and quicker starts after periods of inactivity or travel.

I put up a post a number of years ago with diagrams and part numbers, but no idea if it is still around, but very simple to work out ๐Ÿ˜‰

jmcgilvary
Explorer
Explorer
NAUTIQUE wrote:
Following this thread!
My Onan Emerald Plus 4000 in my 2000 rig is super finicky!
Had it worked on last year when it wouldn't start and they got it running pretty good. But it still seems to have a problem running my AC when it's real hot out.
It'll run for awhile, AC will cool the rig down to set temp, but eventually it'll die when the AC goes to kick back on again. FRUSTRATING!

Mine has run dry well.
Only time I ever had issues, 2 AC and a Microwave at same time...
Other than that, until now, been very reliable for 400+ hours

NAUTIQUE
Explorer
Explorer
Following this thread!
My Onan Emerald Plus 4000 in my 2000 rig is super finicky!
Had it worked on last year when it wouldn't start and they got it running pretty good. But it still seems to have a problem running my AC when it's real hot out.
It'll run for awhile, AC will cool the rig down to set temp, but eventually it'll die when the AC goes to kick back on again. FRUSTRATING!
Our Portable Summer Cottage II : 2000 GBM LANDAU - 99 F53 chassis
Tweaked w/: Allure floor, Sumitomo ST718's, Bilstein's, Steer-Safe, UltraTrac rear trac bar, CHF & Poly Bushings. Pulling a 97 Jeep TJ- Pics & Mods * GBM Thread * F53 Thread
LIFE IS GOOD! :C

jmcgilvary
Explorer
Explorer
Airtex E11020 up to $44 on Amazon ๐Ÿ˜ž
Timing is everything...Mine is a bit slow

gvisnic
Explorer
Explorer
Had same issue with our 2005 generator. Replaced gas cap with a new on the motorhome and it fixed the problem

harry_bounder
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of years ago mine did the same thing. The answer was low fuel pump pressure. Enough pressure to run for a while and than it would just run out of gas. New fuel pump, happy generator.

Huskers101
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same in in our 2007 Forrest River an onan 4 k turned out to be a bad fuel pump on Had it replaced and never had another issue.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
The airtex works as good as the OEM.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

jmcgilvary
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
I carry a spare fuel pump as it's a known problem area...Airtex E11020 $38 on Amazon. Check the picture to see if yours looks the same.

Thanks, I will check it when I pull it out.

jmcgilvary
Explorer
Explorer
filadelfia wrote:
You could go to the Onan manual or watch a u-tube video on line and learn how to retrieve a fault code. The locked in code should help identify the reason for the shutdown.
Good luck Don

Excellent idea. I started watching some YouTube videos, and will look for the codes.
Thanks

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I carry a spare fuel pump as it's a known problem area...Airtex E11020 $38 on Amazon. Check the picture to see if yours looks the same.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

hostage
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see a cracked fuel line as the problem if it was bad fuel line it would not start real good nor run for 20 minutes at a time

filadelfia
Explorer
Explorer
You could go to the Onan manual or watch a u-tube video on line and learn how to retrieve a fault code. The locked in code should help identify the reason for the shutdown.
Good luck Don

jmcgilvary
Explorer
Explorer
Ah, sage advise.
Thanks, did not even think about the 2 going together.
Although it does seem natural ๐Ÿ™‚