cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinion Requested

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
Can you compare/contrast these 2 class A's for me. Both similar sizes, but different rigs.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/rvs/4796841522.html

http://eastnc.craigslist.org/rvs/4720162612.html

Tom
19 REPLIES 19

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
I too think the diesel is the better choice. The ad says Allison Transmission but does not specify if it is the 6 speed. The shifter certainly does not look like the 6 speed control pad for the tranny in my rig. Just something else to check out.

Good luck

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

Had a gasser once---that was enough of that. That DP is pretty cheap for what it is and will be around when the gasser is worn out.....

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
What you need to figure out is if how you use the living space. The Rexhall is designed to be very open and have a very wide feel. The Kountry Star is more traditional. If you eat in your living room anyway, then you will probably prefer the Rexhall layout.
IRV2

RBabb
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go DP. I agree the other layout is better but you can do a little updating and end up with a way better rig. I've also had both, the DP is a better chasis.
08 Ram 3500 Big Horn, DRW, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, 6.7 CTD, 6sp Auto, B&W Companion, Prodigy Controller

08 Ram 2500 Big Horn, SRW, Crew Cab, short Bed, 4x4, 6.7 ctd

01 NUWA 39SUT Packrat, 40' Toy hauler- sold
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 36c

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I actually prefer the higher mileage Rexall. That indicates a lot of use which means most likely required and suggested maintenance was done faithfully. Of course that comes with more wear on the interior.

I drove a Workhorse W22 chassis for 110,000 miles over 8 years and had no complaints. Even the brake recall which I had performed, did not directly affect me because we never parked it for any length of time. Thus 45K miles on a 2002 would worry me more than anything else, its too little! How many hours on the Gen?

If you want to drive it 1,000 miles and park for the season, I like the Kountry Star, If you plan to travel, I wouldn't touch it, the diesel will far outperform it.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

DKeppner
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a Rexall fan regardless but in this case a bit more so. The engine is just breaking in and from the looks of the exterior and interior of the rig, the owner has probably taken really good care of the engine as well. An oil test would be in order prior to final purchase decision. This was a traveling rig.

The Newmar is okay and shows off what makes it a favored coach - quality build. Unfortunately, the refrigerator is small and dated despite its recent replacement. I'm also leery of the needed replacement of the dash A/C - odd at that low mileage. I'm thinking snow bird rig.

I'm with Altern and glamisorbust - the diesel Rexall is the favored choice.
Its not the Destination or the Journey.
Its the Excursion

EricGT
Explorer
Explorer
The Rexhall looks a lot more dated for only being a year older. IMO
2015 Thor A.C.E. 30.1 -'AliCE'

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Rexall hands down.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
Click

Click
Thanks for posting the Clicky Mike. IMHO, I would choose the coach that the floor plan best suits your needs!

Altern
Explorer
Explorer
glamisorbust wrote:
II have owned both a DP and gas coach, and I will never own a gas coach again. Not just the engine, but the suspension, brakes and towing ability are way more substantial on the DP. Good luck.
X2

chevyman2
Explorer
Explorer
Well are you going to drive it, or park it? If you are going to drive it a lot, Go with the diesel. If you are going to have it parked a lot. Then go for the best floorplan for you.
Tim-DW(Kathy)
12 Chevy Sonic DD, 03 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE, 2001 Jayco KIWI
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream-then I am living the dream

glamisorbust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the rexhall much better than the kountry star. For starters, it's a diesel which all by itself is the reason for me. The 5.9 has plenty of power, the allison transmission is awesome. Plus, you get air brakes and air ride suspension.

On the gasser, you may have ok power but don't be fooled into thinking it's better power than a diesel. You don't have to hear the engine running because it's all the way in the back. You also don't need to feel the heat from the engine while pulling grades.

Looks like the refrigerator is also a larger side by side model in the DP. The one thing you wouldn't like is the toilet not being in it's own room with a door. You would have to close off the entire rear half of the coach to use the restroom.

I have owned both a DP and gas coach, and I will never own a gas coach again. Not just the engine, but the suspension, brakes and towing ability are way more substantial on the DP. Good luck.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38'. Cummins ISB 275, allison 3060.
Toys pulled: 22x8.5 open deck PJ flatbed. 5200# axles. Sand car with ecotec engine. Multiple 1980's ATC's(3 wheelers). We're duners!

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
Each has their pros and cons. Personally, I'd take the Rexhall. Though DW would take the Kountry Star because it has the washer/dryer already.

Rexhall has Goodyear tires that I won't trust anymore. Kountry Star is a Workhorse chassis that would be a last resort in my eyes due to how they handled their brake recall. Depending on where you're planning on travelling, you might really like how much easier the diesel pulls up hills. It's all about your preferences, really.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
At first impression the Kountry Star looks nicer, however the Rexhall is a DP with an unloaded weight of 18,000 lbs. I don't see the weight of the gas MH but I would compare the HP of the 8.1 to its wt. and the HP of the DP maybe 300 hp to its weight. If a DP was important to you with this weight it might be a good overall MH for performance, fuel economy and cost. It is several thousand dollars cheaper and says make offer which says to me at least $5,000 cheaper and only a year older. I would look and drive both.