Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

porpoiseing

bhph
Explorer
Explorer
2008 chevy gulf stream B Touring SE 22 ft
kitchen and bath in rear every time I hit a bump in the road I launch everything forward is there any thing I can do to the suspension to correct this problem of porpoiseing
6 REPLIES 6

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
See same topic in Class C.

You are not allowed to post the same message in multiple forums without permission from one of the Open Roads Forum moderators.

Explorer
Explorer
I have exactly the same thing happen in my Chevy Roadtrek. This happens on roads that have uneven surfacing. The front hits the bump and then the rear and it is like riding a bucking bronco with the van pitching up and down and up and down as it hits these bumps along the road one after the other. The best thing to do when this is happening is slow down. If I am driving the speed limit at 65 it is really bad, but if I slow down below 60 it gets better - doesn't stop, but better because there is more time between the time the front tires and the back tires hit the spot. It has nothing to do with the tire pressure. It is the road surface. Better shocks may help (my shocks are new with the 2011 B and it did this from the start). I have seen RV add ons advertised for larger Class MHs that say that they address this problem. I am not sure how well those will work on a B. The wheels are close together, the van is tall, and the van is heavy. In a small lighter vehicle you would not even notice this - I have driven the same stretch of road in my B, in my car, and in a passenger van and while you can feel going over the bumps in the car and passenger van, they do not pitch and bounce like the B does.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most Chevies do not have problems with shocks when under 50,000 miles or more. The Ford's often do.

I would suspect that not knowing the weights is the problem. You have the tires aired up to haul the maximum load and you are not heavy enough. When the wheels hit a bump (tar splice) the wheels jump up instead of flexing as you do not weigh enough. Remember, the tires are part of your suspension.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

Moved from Forum Technical Support

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
If by porpoiseing you mean when you hit a bump the front end bounces up and down for a while then you need new shocks in the front of the MH. My 36' MH does that after about 30,000 miles and I replace the Monroe shocks on the front and it cures it. I've considered other brands but I can't find a cross reference or anyone else who makes a shock for my XCS Freightliner chassis.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome. But you have posted this in the wrong place. I have asked the moderator to move it for you.
Yea, get to the scales and get it weighed. You need from, rear and side to side weights. I suspect your way tail heavy, but that is only a guess until you get some weights and post back