cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

pressure washer

charlysmom_dad
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone use a pressure washer to wash the mh, or the roof? I'm trying to justify getting one for christmas. ๐Ÿ™‚
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
25 REPLIES 25

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been in RV parks where they allowed you to wash your own coach but only if you used a pressure washer (that's how much less water is required).
I have a very small Kartcher (1300?) with an adjustable wide fan to nearly pin point spray. Depending upon what you are wanting to do, this unit can do it. I use the "killer pin point" to clean my grill and I use the wide fan to rinse the coach and I use something between the 2 to flush my radiator. I don't think I could live without it!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
I have a very odd pressure washer. It came with the rv, and I havent tried it out yet but it's odd.

It doesnt pressurize the water via pump, it relies on compressed air from the air tanks (I guess) on the rv itself. The handle has both a water input and an air input.

I'm kind of curious as to how effective it is, but cant wash the rv in this park.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been using pressure washers on fivers and MH for over a decade. I have a high pressure gas powered one at home. I use the 25 degree tip and stand back about 10'. I get closer for tires, wheels and rear mud flap. Never had any issues except some water around slide seals. I just try not to point the wand directly at the seams. I hand wash the top with a mop and bucket.

I also carry an electric power washer for use on the road. Does a pretty good job if the bus is not really dirty.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I use a electric Black Cat pressure washer that I bought while traveling through Oregon, and it works really good. It does not have the super power of a commercial pressure washer, but in my opinion just right for washing a dirty coach. I also use it for spraying and washing the radiator and the CAC. You get different nozzles with the pump. Some for hard spray and some for milder spraying.

I have the fiberglass roof, so it works really good on that type of roof. For the sides I spray it with a mild non detergent dish soap, then I spray it with soft water and the last spray is with a water and Blue Coral liquid solution mixer. I still wipe it dry after all of the spraying. But I only use it when the coach has been through some rough weather, other wise I just dry wash my coach with THE SOLUTION.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Racklefratz
Explorer II
Explorer II
charlysmom&dad wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Doesn't sound like I can use the mh to justify it. Oh well.

Who needs to justify what they buy? I say, if it makes you happy, buy it. Life's too short, and it has an expiration date.
2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP (All Electric)

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use mine all the time on the roof and all the caulked areas. I figure that if it lifts the caulk and leaks that would be a good test and a good thing to fix in the driveway rather than in a rain storm on the road. In 9 years of using it I have never opened up a leak or cut through the rubber. Once a year I also use it underneath the MH to remove dirt and grease buildup. Just be reasonable with how close you hold it. They are all different in PSI.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well Gang,
This is all about COMMON SENSE! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to judge just how much pressure is needed for a given job or, just how close or far away from a surface you need to be to accomplish a purpose. You can use a 3000 psi pressure washer on any surface you'd like as long as you don't get close enough to do damage. It's all about accomplishing your goal without issues. As you can see and read here, some do it and some are really advocates against it.

And yes, just about 100% of the detail crews, at any campground/RV park that allows them, use a PRESSURE WASHER, with few exceptions. If you watch them, they don't get close to rubber seals in windows, graphics, and anything else that can possibly either let water infiltrate, or be damaged by the higher pressure. The MAIN reason that they use them is water control. The can do a good job of rinsing, getting all the soap solution off without creating the Mississippi river in the middle of the camp ground.

And that's the primary reason that most campgrounds will NOT allow for RV owners to wash their own rig. Many of you are smart enough to use a nozzle that controls "on-off" to keep from flooding the entire campground but, some, will just let the hose flow while they soap down their machine.

Anyway, a pressure washer is perfectly safe, as long as the user is wise in its use.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
I use a pressure washer to clean the roof of my coach! I put it on the lowest setting and do not spray on any of my roof seams.

X2 on my fiberglass roof.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I use a pressure washer to clean the roof of my coach! I put it on the lowest setting and do not spray on any of my roof seams.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I have used them. They clean up the roof and wheels/undercarriage good but be very careful around decals and caulking.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

stubblejumper
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Karcher that has an adjustable nozzle that I use all the time. Low pressure is less than a garden hose nozzle, high pressure about 1200 lbs. Just adjust depending on what I am washing.
1999 Winnebego Chieftain
Wayne & Leila and Teddi (the Kid in the brown fuzzy pyjamas)

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
The good thing about pressure washers is you can turn the throttle down and have a good stream of water. You don't have to use them at high pressure all the time.
They will cause damage if you are not careful. They can even damage wood like on fences and decks if you get too close.
I bought a Briggs & Stratton concrete cleaner at Lowes for $69. that does a great job with a pressure washer. I had trouble a couple times with the tips stopping up but it worked great after I cleaned them.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Go to a Good Sam Rally and hire the guys that wash motor homes. See what they use, a pressure washer. I've washed mine several times with a pressure washer but more often use a brush.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I use it at home, but never on the MH. It can blast through rubber gaskets, peel back anything 'stuck' on the sides, put water where you don't want it and more. You can use it...just be very careful.
2014 American Eagle