cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Project: Sewage hose storage cage

WesternHorizon
Explorer
Explorer
When I got my class C the previous owner had a nice sewage hose with the modern bayonet lock-on fittings.

With these fittings the hose did not fit into the original storage area, which was simply a short aluminum tube behind the wheel well:

So she had a custom bumper pipe built using non-stock fittings which cost over $200 and was very large and heavy:

You can see the hose is a small fraction of the pipe.

I wanted to get rid of this giant pipe so I started hunting around in the original storage area with a tape measure and visualizing possible solutions.

With careful measurement of the available volume I started putting together a PVC pipe cage. You can see the hose fits easily within the volume of the cage:

Once I had the basic form and checked the fit, I added more PVC and started gluing it all together. The downward bend goes around the gasoline filler pipe:

BTW, I always use Gorilla PVC PrimaGlue. You don't even have to use a primer for pressurized lines and it does not have the terrible volatiles of other PVC cements. I have used it on many dozens of fittings and it is marvelous stuff.

Once the cage was built I covered it with 1/2-inch hardware cloth, securing this with pan head screws and wrappings of copper wire:

Then I lashed the cage into position using some old 2-inch seatbelt webbing secured with pan head screws:

Finally I enlarged the old opening so the fittings of the new hose would fit through:

Removing the big pipe saved weight and freed up space for other uses:

After thousands of miles of driving I have been very pleased with this cage. The sewer hose dries out quickly in the airflow under the RV.

Just tossing this out as an example of how space can be used.
9 REPLIES 9

WesternHorizon
Explorer
Explorer
> Crate: Yes, that would be a good structure to start from. I wanted to use every cubic inch but if I had it to do over would consider a crate. It's a low wide rectangular volume.

> Rear view

Here is the usual setup of the KLX250S and Trance MTB on the ALEKO rack:

With the big pipe removed there is enough space for a couple of gas cans.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
Wondering if a milk/bread crate.
/basket might adapt in some cases.

That is exactly what we use, a plastic "milk crate".
Works great and no assembly required! :B

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wondering if a milk/bread crate.
/basket might adapt in some cases.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
that is the reason I switched to presstofit? connectors when I used a stinky slinky. easy to slip off the large fitting so the hoses would go into standard tubes.
bumpy

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I definitely like this idea. This should be what more RV makers should do from the factory because the PVC isn't going to rust, it is underneath so shielded from UV light (and if UV might be an issue, what's what 303 is for.) Plus, it can hold the hose, perhaps the 90 degree corner fitting as well.

mikebreeze
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work. I'm sure that this sewer hose storage device will last a long time.
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice work!
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB