cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ProStar, Sprinter, Ford Transit Reviews

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those interested in a van conversion or an existing Class B, here is an unbiased review comparing the 3 leading vans: 3 Vans Compared I guess I just don't understand why no B Manufacturer and an apparently few DIYers are using the Transit chassis but opting instead for the dismal sounding ProStar,especially given the precarious reliability of the Chrysler-FIAT vehicles. Could someone enlighten me?
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie
7 REPLIES 7

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
bobojay5 wrote:
I've owned 2 3500 Sprinter RV's. I have driven 5 different Transit vans with 3k+ lbs cargo in them. The Transit is a much better driving vehicle, and the interface between the engines and transmissions is much, much smoother than the Sprinter is. Not to mention a modern, easy to figure out dash layout and HVAC controls.
All 4 people that I know that own ProMaster RVs in the gas version, just love them....

The article has many Apples to Pears comparisons, not that terribly relevant. Could have done a lot more to get vehicles that are comparable

mrshowtime3
Explorer
Explorer
Im just not paying for a single rear wheel RV. Sorry, call me weird but im just not.

Im hoping these manufacturers do realize there are some of us out there who want nothing to do with a diesel. Thats where the Transit comes in. A quality vehicle thats gas and has a much larger service network. Ill take that any day over the Mercedes personally. But juding by the lack of interest in pushing Transit RVs out there, maybe im one of the few who thinks this way.

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned 2 3500 Sprinter RV's. I have driven 5 different Transit vans with 3k+ lbs cargo in them. The Transit is a much better driving vehicle, and the interface between the engines and transmissions is much, much smoother than the Sprinter is. Not to mention a modern, easy to figure out dash layout and HVAC controls.
All 4 people that I know that own ProMaster RVs in the gas version, just love them....
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting comparison but not totally relevant to class B conversions. Most conversion vans are built on the longer wheelbase models and the Sprinter long and extra long bodies are larger than either of the other two. On the other hand, the Ford and Dodge are appealing because of larger dealer networks.

I would have a hard time shelling out the bucks for an expensive class B RV built on a Fiat chassis, but that just represents my prejudices about Fiats from long ago.

The rust problems seem to me to be confined to the 2006 and earlier Sprinter bodies - I haven't seen much rust on the later models.
Advanced RV Sprinter

cameronpatentla
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link. As I have mentioned in our website, I am not a fan of the ProMaster look. But this is harsh: "The Ram ProMaster, a Fiat Ducato with ram-head logos, is a detestable, shovel-faced thing that appears to have been cobbled together from spare parts." And perhaps I'm partial to the MB chassis, but I agree 100% with this: "...the steering in the Sprinter is actually better and offers more feel than virtually any current Mercedes sedan. Does that matter in a cargo van? Yes it does, if youโ€™re the one who has to drive it all day." Having just completed a 2,500 mile journey from Dallas to the Bay area, and a 600 mile RT over the weekend, I can attest that the Class B MB 3500 chassis is a fantastic driving vehicle. I'd be curious as to whether the MB used for the Class C MH's is similarly easy to drive and maneuver.

NW_Fjord
Explorer
Explorer
That is a good question. I was expecting Transit conversions by now as well, but there appears to be several reasons for their absence. I believe I read all of these points at the classbforum.com, but I do not have any specific links. Here are the reasons in no specific order:

* Manufacturers have already invested a lot in the Promaster and Sprinter van designs
* Going with a Transit over Sprinter doesn't offer much cost savings (especially for Winnebago who directly imports their Sprinters)
* The Mercedes badge allows manufacturers to charge a little more which they wouldn't be able to do with a Transit van
* Roadtrek and Winnebago have told Wincrasher that Ford hasn't made addressing conversion related issues a priority

sonicsix
Explorer
Explorer
The ProMaster (gas version) is a great vehicle... I have one. It is a 2014 high roof, 159" wheelbase, gas model. The early '14 diesels had some issues but my understanding is they have that ironed out at this point. I bought my ProMaster specifically to convert it into a wheelchair accessible camper van and I am about 50% done.

The ProMaster has more room inside, doesn't look bloated from the outside, is front wheel drive, costs less than Ford or Sprinter, etc. The gas engine is the 3.6L Pentastar and it notoriously reliable. Coupled to the 6 speed transmission, it gets about 19-21 MPG highway and roughly 17 MPG city driving (for me anyway). Another key factor is I got an extremely well equipped model for thousands less than Ford would sell me a base model for.

I think Winnebago and RoadTrek made good decisions in using the ProMaster platform to build RVs out of. Also keep in mind, more people complain on the internet than they praise, so you will almost always find more negative information than positive.