cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Purchasing a used Tiffin--torn between 2 models!

Magua
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all!

I'm hoping for some advice on which Allegro 35QBA model you seasoned Class A-ers think would fit our needs most.

I think it would be helpful for you to know how we plan on using it. For the first year +/- we'd be weekend campers close to home with maybe a week-long trip thrown in for a family vacation. In about a year, we plan on selling our home and going on the road with our kiddos full time. We'd like to commit to a one year "tour du USA" experience, but if we love it we'll stay out longer. Once we settle back down and buy another home, we'll likely sell it and go back to something small.

So, with that kind of usage in mind, here are our two options...

1. 2008 Tiffin Allegro 35 QBA - on Ford Chassis with 6.8L, V-10 Triton Engine. 19,000-ish miles. All new tires (19s--less than 500 miles on them). 7000kw genny. Addabrake system included. Heat pump.

2. 2008 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 35QBA, 43,900 miles, Freightliner front engine diesel chassis, Cummins 300HP. Original tires still--takes 22s. 6000kw gen. No heat pump.

Obviously the Ford V10 vs. FRED is the BIG difference. Having new tires on the gasser are awfully nice. Don't know much about the Addabrake. We do intend on towing our C-Max 4-down. The gasser is about $61,000 and we think the FRED will be around $63,000. Not a HUGE difference, but this is a BIG deal for us financially (tho we'd pay off the RV loan with the sale of our house).

Any and all thoughts welcome!!!
Me (39), DH (40), DS1: 7 DS2: 6
Grand plans to take the fam on the road for a year+.
25 REPLIES 25

Magua
Explorer
Explorer
Oh boyโ€ฆdrove the FRED. Hubby drove his dad's Ford V10 the day before. He could REALLY tell the difference and preferred the FRED. He also said it handled MUCH tighter and didn't have the same loose-feeling undulations the Georgetown Ford V10 had. Is that a product of a Tiffin vs. Forest River or a Ford V10 vs. a FRED or both?? Either way, we do like the FRED.

BUT!

This owner trashed it. My hubs and I are meticulous and pretty anal about the condition of our vehicles, home, etc. This Tiffin was NOT loved. I would have been embarrassed showing it to potential buyers! Soooooโ€ฆthis is NOT the one, but we're thinking the FRED is the way to go. Hubs said it wasn't any louder than the new Ford V10 he drove the day before.

Magua
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Gjac wrote:
The second thing that I would look at assuming you will be teaching while your husband is driving is do I have enough room to work with all the 4 slides in( a full wall slide maybe better.

I can't believe I am actually reading this and it was posted as a serious thought!
Some MH's layouts are tight with all the slides in.

I'm thinking drive time will just be reading timeโ€ฆbut who knows till we get to that pointโ€ฆwill most definitely be a work in progress subject to change at any second! ๐Ÿ™‚

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Gjac wrote:
The second thing that I would look at assuming you will be teaching while your husband is driving is do I have enough room to work with all the 4 slides in( a full wall slide maybe better.

I can't believe I am actually reading this and it was posted as a serious thought!
Some MH's layouts are tight with all the slides in.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Another person that has no knowledge what HP and torque represent on a vehicle. I'll take the FRED every day over the Ford V-10, anywhere, flats or mountains.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you plan to home school and stay at SP's NP's etc. many do not have full hookups. You only have 53 gals of FW, that will go very quickly with 2 adults and 2 small children. I would look for one with 80-100 gals FW. The second thing that I would look at assuming you will be teaching while your husband is driving is do I have enough room to work with all the 4 slides in( a full wall slide maybe better. The eng should be secondary in you thinking both will get you to where you want to go. The Fred is heavier with less HP so I would test both from 40 - 60 mph and see which is quicker with less eng noise. The faster one on the flat will pull the hills better. My guess is that the Fred will be nosier at idle, quieter at WOT climbing a hill because of lower rpm that the Ford. Only you can decide on the power and noise level is acceptable to you. You can live with that for a year but the water and layout may be harder to live with.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Triker33 wrote:
Clickable PDF for the 2008 35QBA with bunk beds
My mistake. I was looking at the Allegro Bay line only. Good luck with the test drive.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Z71_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Find the biggest hill you can and bring the V10 into all it's glory!

Seriously, the V10 is great but a little more noisy on the steep hills. All in all not bad and we deal with the few moments of noise. I also "chipped" my V10 and have a little extra power and much better shifting.

Have fun!
2019 Tiffin Allegro RED 37BA
Kar Kaddy SS

2011 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA - Sold

Magua
Explorer
Explorer
Z71 4x4 wrote:
One more thought...

You can test drive a V10 almost anywhere. Find one for sale close by, offer the person $20-$30 for fuel and drive it before you drive the FRED. If you like the V10 better then you can make the trip to NY and look at that unit.

(Open palm smack to forehead!) My in-laws down the road have a Georgetown with the Ford V10!!! We could drive theirs for the feel!

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
FRED wins out over Ford almost every time.
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

Z71_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
One more thought...

You can test drive a V10 almost anywhere. Find one for sale close by, offer the person $20-$30 for fuel and drive it before you drive the FRED. If you like the V10 better then you can make the trip to NY and look at that unit.

Just a thought.

Good luck!

Edit: On the 2008 models, Ford has 19.5" tires and the FRED has 22.5" tires. That's a huge plus for the FRED to me.
Kar Kaddy SS

Z71_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
I like the low end torque of a diesel and if it comes with exhaust brake that's even better.

While I'm happy with my Ford, if they still had the FRED when I bought mine I would have gone that route.

If you're buying from a dealership see if you can get them to cough up new tires... or meet you half way on them. Don't know if you don't try.

You'll like the floor plan either way. A little tight when closed up but you get a dance floor when open. We usually take out the extra chair and put the dog bowls there. Works for us. :B
Kar Kaddy SS

Magua
Explorer
Explorer
^^ Thx Triker. And thank you for the calculations too...me + math = self-destruction.

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
Clickable PDF for the 2008 35QBA with bunk beds
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am