cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about being guided into a site.

jtad
Explorer
Explorer
So here is the deal. I check in at the office of a big name camp ground. After getting all my info they send a camp host over to show me to my spot. He is in front of me in a golf cart and pulls through the spot I am going to and gets off the cart and stands in front of me. The site to the right of my spot had a "tailgater" sat dish sitting on the ground very close to my site. I know its going to be a tight squeeze getting in as I swing into the spot. But the host is standing in front of me telling me to pull forward. I cant see the tailgater at this point, but still the park host is standing at the front of my site looking at the front of my coach guiding me in.. And crunch!!! Right front corner of my coach hits the tailgater and breaks the top cover of it. At this point the host comes over and tells me "oh I tried to tell you to stop".. No you didn't!! So now the camper who's satellite I've just broke starts raising hell with me about replacing it. The camp host and his manager tell me it is completely my fault, not their problem. So at 5PM on Friday evening I make a mad dash through rush hour traffic in a large metro city to shell out 500 bucks to buy this "camper" his new dish from a store that closes at 6... I was going to be leaving my coach unattended for the weekend parked next to this guy and figured $500 was good insurance that maybe he wouldn't tear up anything on my unit while I was away.. Although it didn't help in getting him to remove the pitbull that was chained to the tree right out my front door.. So yea I guess I should have got out and moved the dish.. But I thought the point of this host guiding me in was to help prevent stuff like that from happening.. What say you?? Totally my fault?
2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40DST
67 REPLIES 67

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
Probably enough opinions expressed on this topic.
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

David0725
Explorer II
Explorer II
I feel the campground personnel should be responsible. 1st he should have ask the other camp to move anything that close. 2nd once he started guiding ge took responsibility. Just like if you waved a car to go because they could see around you and they got hit. You would be the one at fult.
1994 Holiday Rambler Imperial DP
1999 Honda Accord V6 Toad

thomasgunnar
Explorer
Explorer
The campground we spend most of our camping time at the owner assists with backing into non pull through sites. We have stayed in most of the we will fit so I don't really need much assistance. I have no problem with him helping as I know him and he knows me.

I can't recall ever having a campsite employee coming out and assisting, other than the above mentioned.
Chris
2003 F350 CC,4x4,6.0,Zoodad, 3 Pod Pillar Gauges, Sinister Coolant Filter, Scangauge II, Blue Spring Kit
2006 Jayco Eagle 301RLS 33'

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
WTH are you related to Ben or what? Please stay west of the big river.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
DW guides me in via walkie-talkie, no one else. If I'm not confident I get out and look or at least make sure DW looks.

Had a scare a couple of years ago. DW was guiding me backing in and a well-meaning CG employee hurried over and _disappeared_ astern. I couldn't see him on the backup camera or in a mirror, he was that close. I stomped on the brakes and Mom hollered and I came within a foot or so of squishing him against a stone wall.
-jbh-

univmd
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's the camp guider's fault. Legally it would be my fault. I would have done the same and just paid the $500. Very frustrating situation indeed, thanks for sharing!

It is hard to say no to the camp guider when the camp guider is guiding me. I feel like I have to follow him even though I do not want the camp guider's help. It is hard for me to say no to a friendly person who is trying to help. Easier said than done.

I know I am responsible for everything while driving, but sometimes I feel like I just have to follow the camp guider at least a little. Thankfully I have not hit anything yet, but I will be even more careful while parking next time a camp guider helps.
2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good luck blaming signal person.
I had incident when my wife was observing me backing up into site and even I am pretty good in handling the coach, I could not see tall branch that broke the roof light 11' above the ground.
That happen on RV rally, where lot of members have been already there.
Had the jokes popping up for next year.
Anyway, what is easy way to get divorce?
>>> buy big RV and let your spouse guide you on the parking.

mmiille
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with the OP. Signal man is there to watch what the driver can't see, so I believe he is at least partially at fault.. By the same token, if I'm scared to move, it is probably for good reason and I get out and talk over my fears with the signal man. What I see as issues maybe aren't problems he sees. My wife does signal for me, but I make sure she is watching what I can't. The only way she knows what to watch is if we discuss it before moving. I do feel your pain. My brother in law has backed me into trees and fence posts and other things that damage plastic and fiberglass. Then he says, oh I didn't see that!
Martin & Cheryl
40 Foot 2009 Damon Tuscany 4076
Cummins 360, Hyundai Santa Fe
Full timing since 2010.

aliceinanthemaz
Explorer
Explorer
jtad wrote:
KOA in Weatherford TX just west of Ft Worth.. And yes I was by myself.. Wolfe10 there is a universal signal for stop and go.. And he was telling me to come forward.. There was never and stop.. Yea I should have got out, I'm not disputing that, just very aggravating.

Funny, I stopped here earlier in Jan and the guy acted like he was doing me a big favor. He had one spot left and he didn't usually rent it out to after hour arrivals. I was coming in right after they closed. I said no problem, I'll just keep going. That seemed to throw him and suddenly the tone changed. Made me laugh and suddenly he was all friendly. Not sure I'll stay there again.
Diagnosed with wanderlust at an early age

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
bigred1cav wrote:
You were directed to the spot by the campground professional it is the campground professional fault.

Seek remedy in Small Claims Court in the county you were in in the state you were in. Or file with your insurance company and ask them to subrogate against the campground.

Owning an RV park or being hired by an RV park hardly makes you a "professional" at directing any type of RV driven by a total stranger.

That is your answer. You were given direction by a hired employee a professional at the park. That professional guided you to damage another's property. That employee thus his employer are liable.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
bigred1cav wrote:
You were directed to the spot by the campground professional it is the campground professional fault.

Seek remedy in Small Claims Court in the county you were in in the state you were in. Or file with your insurance company and ask them to subrogate against the campground.

Owning an RV park or being hired by an RV park hardly makes you a "professional" at directing any type of RV driven by a total stranger.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
You had control of the rig. Whatever you hit did not jump out in your path. Spotter or not, you are responsible. Consider the $500 the price for a Life Lesson. All the talk about getting an attorney is not realistic. Any decent attorney would tell you its not worth the fight. If you ran over a person, or hit a tree and it came down on top of your neighbors $300K coach, that would be a different story.

Once I saw that pit bull out there, I'd have been gone. Wouldn't have even driven into the spot. Tell the "spotter" to get me another spot.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
JetAonly wrote:
Georgew48 wrote:
I taught aircraft marshaling for many many years and I can tell you that even thought marshallers are required by all airlines it is the Captain that will have the black mark on his record if the aircraft hits something. Yes the marshaller will also be in trouble but the ultimate responsibility is with the Captain. I always told my students that if the Captain is not following your direction then stop the aircraft and hook up your headset and talk to the Captain. Likewise if the Captain has a question about what the marshaller wants him to do, he will stop the aircraft and have a conversation. Should be no different with driving a motorhome.

This is correct. I have had many discussions about who is operating the A/C. If you are in the left seat, it is your Jet. If you sign for it, you own it, from the moment you step on it till the moment you step off. You are given absolute authority and with it comes absolute responsibility.

Exactly, and that includes instructions from an air traffic controller. He cannot see what you can see and if you don't feel that his directions are safe, it is up to you to deviate from his directions. Of course you will have to explain your decision to not follow ATC but it is your aircraft and your ultimate responsibility.