cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question on generator usage

hunter29180
Explorer
Explorer
this is the first RV we have had, that has a on board generator.
so question wife raised and wasn't answered in the owners manuel, is this...during hot weather it is noted that in order to run BOTH A/C's the generator must be running as only the front will operate from shore power. (f.y.i..1992 Pace Arrow, onan 6800w gas generator)

question 1) can generator be started while connected to shore power?
we have been disconnecting from shore power once a month in order to run the generator for its monthly run.

2) if answer to 1) is yes, then can A/c #2 then be run to cool back end (bedroom area) prior to retiring for the night? shutting down generator before retiring and using front a/c to maintain.

3) during power outage..we haven't encountered this yet..so asking now so we will know..do we need to unplug from shore power till it is restored?
4 REPLIES 4

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
#1 Yes you can start the generator while connected to shore power; the transfer switch will transfer power to your unit as Jim@HiTek noted. I normally disconnect the shore power before starting the generator just to make sure the transfer switch operates properly; maybe I am just being overly cautious.

#2 Exactly as Jim@HiTek stated. We run our front AC at night and close most of the front area air outlets; this in turn pushes the conditioned air to the rear bedroom area. It keeps the bedroom very cool without the noise of the back unit running.

#3 As I stated in #1, I would definitely unplug from shore power. After a power outage, when power is restored, you may get a high voltage spike that could damage your electrical system and some of your items such as microwave, televisions, computers, etc.

Ray

hunter29180
Explorer
Explorer
thank you Jim@HiTek for the quick answer! they are now entered in our note bok kept with our manuals!

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
There is a transfer switch, with generator powered input, so if you start the generator plugged in or not, you can not back feed power into the shore connection. So yes you can run it with the cord plugged in.

You just might upset any neighbors if you run the generator at 7 or 8 pm.

You can run the generator while driving, and yes run both A/C units and or the dash A/C.

It should be possible to hook up the rear A/C to the shore power panel. Right now it seems to be only connected to phase #2 of the generator, but that can be changed, you are well past any warranty period. I might suggest a #12 extension cord that is near your shore power cord, then a new receptacle installed in that same compartment. One from the generator output, and another from the RV's power panel. Then you could plug into three places. While traveling, plug into the generator output (same place you take the rear A/C wiring from) or plug into the RV's main 30 amp panel, or run the extension cord to the shore power box, so you will not be putting a larger load on the shore power box, if you have a 30 and 20 amp plug at the campground.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
1) Yes, it can...but...it will cause the transfer switch to operate which will transfer the power going to the RV to switch from shore power to generator.
2) Yes, you can use A/C #2 whenever you're running the generator...in fact, you should have a large switch somewhere that will allow you to switch to the rear A/C while on shore power (but that will shut off the front A/C).
3) No, if the generator is running, the transfer switch will be held in 'generator' position as long as it's running. Once you know the shore power is back on, just turn off the generator and it'll switch back to shore power.

But...turn off the breaker for shore power. When you know power is back on, shut off the A/C, shut down the generator, turn on the breaker. Just to be safe.

Not sure exactly how a '92 is wired, but my '94 has that large switch so I can switch between front and rear while on shore power, but when the generator is running, both work.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.