cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

replacement windows- regular home windows vs. RV windows

pivotman2014
Explorer
Explorer
Why can't regular home vinyl widows (single hung or sliders), be used to replace the typical radius Rv widows?

They are just as light in weight and just as protected from the weather.

Are their issues with the glass? Temperate vs. Safety? and what would those issue be?
Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
pivotman2014 wrote:
Thanks for the tip about the salvage.
I have been looking for such a place for compartment doors etc.

Walt's has one of a kind, items removed that the owner didn't want, used windows, too much to mention and a great place to search through. it's in a warehouse now. Plan to spend some time there. Walt's in Fontana i believe.

pivotman2014
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tip about the salvage.
I have been looking for such a place for compartment doors etc.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to the rv salvage yard in Fontana, windows for a dollar an inch. It's called Walt's.

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
super_camper wrote:
I see no reason why some types of windows manufactured for the home wouldn't work but I also don't see any advantage to them either.

Home windows are all over the map when it comes to materials and quality. I would say all home windows that are primarily vinyl or are mulled together would not be strong enough, wooden core windows would be too heavy, fiberglass would be silly expensive.

I see no reason why simple aluminum type basement windows wouldn't work but they would require a better method of mounting, similar to the sandwich type mount of RV windows, proflex would be a good choice to finish up with to reduce/eliminate water intrusion. The biggest drawback of course is that they are rectangular which would likely look sort of funny or at the very least unique. Also, there won't much of a cost advantage, if any.

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
I see no reason why some types of windows manufactured for the home wouldn't work but I also don't see any advantage to them either.

Home windows are all over the map when it comes to materials and quality. I would say all home windows that are primarily vinyl or are mulled together would not be strong enough, wooden core windows would be too heavy.

I see no reason why simple aluminum type basement windows wouldn't work but they would require a better method of mounting, similar to the sandwich type mount of RV windows, proflex would be a good choice to finish up with to reduce/eliminate water intrusion. The biggest drawback of course is that they are rectangular which would likely look sort of funny or at the very least unique. Also, there won't much of a cost advantage, if any.

pivotman2014
Explorer
Explorer
Good point-

The windows I have found do have the normal flange. But the thickness of the frame is only a little over two inches. The RV wall is 1-1/2" and I can compensate for that with some trim around the windows when I do the valance.

I still go back to thinking they would work. And then keep going back and forth because you would think you would see them used if they would work. They certainly cost a lot less.

They sure work a lot better than the stupid windows that are normally in RV's.

Thanks for the input.

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
Aren't home windows designed for much thicker walls than RV walls?

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
I'll guess its likely a safety issue. Auto glass must be certified for the use and residential glass companies probably don't want to go through the certification process.

Jose

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Other than the windshield, all the windows are tempered glass. There is a reason that RV manufacturers don't use residential windows. My guess is they cost more or they aren't suitable for the on-the-road environment. They might not be stout enough for the constant pounding of expansion joints and pot holes.

pivotman2014
Explorer
Explorer
not if I use Proflex when I install it.

Just because you don't see them being used doesn't mean they won't work.

Also, my question was tempered vs. safety.

As for the number of times my post was done- I apologize for that but I could not see my post going through.

Go back to sleep now- Your comment was rude and abrupt

And why would you be hitting curbs????

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Enough already. How many posts do you need for the same topic. The first big bump, pothole or curb you hit will give you the answer as to why these will not work.